“Great Resort!!”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
“Great Resort!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I'm not sure where the people who write the bad reviews for this resort have travelled before - they must have been paying 3 times the amount we paid for Paraiso and have no idea how "real people" travel.

I went to Paraiso April 16-22 and had a great time! Travelled with my husband, 14 y/o stepdaughter, and my in-laws. We all had a wonderful trip.

Let me begin by saying - be prepared for the 1.5 hour bus ride from the airport. But it's a fun time and the 1.5 hours went by like it was nothing, even having to stop for 20 minutes while the bus was fixed was no problem - they serve beer on the bus and there's plenty of scenery to look at and take pictures - so try to arrive in Santa Clara while the sun is still out! The tour guides on the bus (both on the way to the airport and the way back at the end of the vacation) had alot to tell us about the towns we were travelling through.

So how was the resort?

Well the food was great by Cuban standards. My in-laws have travelled to Cuba multiple times and said this resort had the best food by far! At times, yes there were line-ups at some of the buffet stations - but in the morning the omlet line only took 10-15 minutes and was well worth it. Get your omlet and then the rest of the food so that it doesn't get cold while waiting on your omlet. I reccommend booking your a la cartes as soon as possible and before the sunwing presentation to avoid a line up that happens right after that presentation. I booked 4 a la cartes while the presentation was going on and by the time I was done booking there was a line up a mile long behind me!

The beach is to die for! I've never seen turquoise blue water like that before in my life! The sand was like walking in baby powder - it was so soft! There was no problem in having no chairs as my in-laws would head for the beach right after breakfast and get our chairs - I reccommend the middle section of the beach between the 2 areas with the sun huts - the beach is least crowded here and the beach and ocean merge beautifully here. We walked down the beach to the other resorts and Memories defently has the best beach on Cayo Santa Maria. We heard complaints from other resorts that the water was rocky or the ocean dropped off just out from their beach. at Memories you can walk out in the sandy ocean for quite a distance. For snokerlers there is a small reef with a million fish at the end of the azul side. My husband ventured out to see it, but after a baby barracuda chased my painted toes I stayed away from the fish for the rest of the vacation!

Our room was clean and there were NO bedbugs! We stayed on the ground floor so there were some ants outside of our room at the door but spraying a bit of bug spray kept them from entering our room. The water pressure in the shower was great (not so great for a sunburn though!) and we never ran out of hot water. There were never any electricity cuts either. We had a standard room, but still it had a cd player where we could hook our mp3 players and ipods into. Our room had our beach towels in it upon arrival and our mini fridge was re-stocked everyday at about 5pm. We even got a few extra drinks on the days we left a tip in the fridge. We tipped everyone who was nice to us and helped us out - including the man who collects the garbage on the beach and the buffet line cooks.

The nightly entertainment was great. The theatre is huge and we found seats every night just after the show had started. If you want really good seats - go a bit before the show starts.

There are cats everywhere and a few dogs running around too. It didn't bother us, in fact my stepdaughter would take extra food from the buffet at every meal and feed the cats living near the buffet..

Pueblo la Estrella is right next door and there are different market vendors every day, but they all sell similar items. I reccommend going up the clocktower and seeing the view of the whole island. There is a cigar shop that sells the same cigars as the hotel shop and prices are similar. the cigar shop in the pueblo is open strange hours 10 am to noon and they open again at 2 after their seista :)

Is there anything We didn't enjoy? The mosquitos on the azul side are just horrendous at dusk! We walked back to the Paraiso side after dinner at the Asian restaurant one night and were almost eaten alive! So bring bug spray! I also didn't enjoy the few sand fleas that came back to our room in some shells collected from the beach. So parents if your kids are bringing back the shells - make sure there's no sand on them, or keep them out on your balcony until the end of your vacation. When you get them home - throw them in a ziploc in the freezer for a week to kill anything that may have survived the trip!

The double decker bus tour is not for everyone. Out of the 5 of us, I was the only one who enjoyed seeing the other resorts and its a good way to get to the dolphinarium for only 2 pesos a person.

The pool is something we never bothered with because there were never any chairs poolside. We lucked out one day and stayed for about an hour by the pool at the end of the day when some people were leaving. It's very loud at the pool with the poolside entertainment, so make sure you don't get a room facing the pools if you don't like the noise. We stayed in building 32 which was quiet and central to everything.

All in all our vacation was great, and we would go back again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank AmandaRKS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,928)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I have never been to an all inclusive resort. I read nothing but mediocre to bad reviews for Memories Azul, and let me tell you - those people could not be further from the truth. Everyone always says "You don't go to Cuba for the food" - well, I would go to Memories Azul for the food - it was amazing. The Italian a la carte restaurant was to die for (I recommend the mozzerella as your starter). The servers at the Buffet were incredible and so very kind and truly appreciative of tips and gifts. I felt safe and secure at Memories Azul, the pools are cleaned daily, there are daily activities on the beach as well as at the pools, there is fun for everyone and play areas for children. The catamaran was the best day of the trip, I would recommend this to anyone who wants to enjoy fun, sun, a private beach and time to snorkel and play with beautiful dolphins. At busier times in the year, yes there are lines - but if it was a great place, there would be no one there. I never had trouble finding a spot to rest at any of the pools or the beach. The nightly show at La Teatro was always fun and the dancers are incredible. I would recommend Memories Azul to anyone who asks (and even those who don't ask). I will be going yearly. Also, Neimi (I am sorry, I'm sure I am misspelling her name), she is a bartender/waitress - hands down best bartender at the resort, I went to her every day... and I used to be a bartender.

Room Tip: There is no bad room, no matter which bungaloo you stay in - you are always close to something fanta...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Coots86
vancouver
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Before I began my review a note to Canadians: PLEASE DO NOT LITTER! You all book this trip to enjoy the natural beauty/beach Cuba offers and I saw many of you enjoying the day at the beach, then you gathered your belongings and left all your garbage/plastic cups and straws on the beach. It is shameful and disrespectful. Being a paying customer does not give you the right to be irresponsible.

1. First time in Cuba. Of all my travels, this was the most intimidating custom procedures on arrival. 6 hour overnight flight from Vancouver, all of us hauled into a waiting room, slow moving line to passport control. While you wait, a man walks around with a dog, a lady randomly pulls tourists out of the line up, takes them a room for a long time, another lady randomly checks your passports and asks questions. When you finally at the passport control booth, you can only proceed one at a time, more questions, they take your photo, then you can proceed to security.

2. Bus ride to Cayo Santa Maria, wonderful. The sun was just coming up as we were traveling. Comfortable bus, very welcoming host. Long, but you should expect that.

3. Service at the resort: Wonderful. The Cubans were all kind and helpful. Even after 16 hour shifts, they find the energy to be kind and smile. But.....you get what you give. I saw many of you being rude and treating the staff with disrespect. I never had one negative experience with any staff and truly believe if your experience anything other than kindness, there is something wrong with you. Also helps if you say THANK YOU!

4. Rooms: clean and comfortable. Air conditioning works great. Towels were changed daily. If I needed anything extra (i.e. a few extra towels and toilet paper, I wrote a little note and always got what I asked for).

5. Beach....AMAZING nothing else needs to be said - TIP: If you don't want to sit like herrings next to your fellow tourist and guaranteed a beautiful piece of beach all to your self, take the extra 5 minute walk to the beach front at PARAISO side (that side is virtually empty at the moment). It is to the left of the Diamond Club. It is a piece of heaven, again you have all the beach to yourself. You have privacy and I did not have to listen to all the noise around me nor did I have to fight for shade. ( however you will require to walk an extra 5 minutes and you are further away from the bars/restrooms, but to me it was well worth it)

6. Food: I weigh about 52kg, I am happy with a nice soup and salad, but I thought the food served was difficult to handle. The nice choices are freshly made crepes and omelette in the morning, freshly baked pizza for lunch/dinner. Each evening there is a fresh roast: turkey, pork and fish I saw. All wonderful. You can make due but again, the food was hard to handle. I do not hold this against the resort, I think they made the best of with what they have available.

7. Lots of flies in dining room and sewage smell near the Asian Restaurant is real and bothersome

8. MONEY: I found that if you want to book a tour on your visa, it is a hit and miss in terms of the connection. I ended up paying cash for mine. (by the way all the tours worth every penny) I changed all my money at the hotel, the exchange rate did not bother me, I was not going to run around and try to find a better place. It was not so bad. If you are stuck with extra pesos at the end of your trip and you wish to exchange them back to CND, you can do so at the airport when you leave.

9. SUNWING: AMAZING service from ALL the sunwing reps on the ground. I lost my tourist visa (long story), and they were amazingly helpful assisting me and answering all my and others' questions. By the way, if you do lose your tourist visa, you can simply get another one free of charge at the airport when you leave. Sunwing Airlines also provided a great service on both flights.

In a nutshell, I agree with those that say that this hotel is not a 5 star in terms of North American standards, but come on......you have to realize where you are and adjust your expectations accordingly. Do not be ignorant, do some research before you go and give me a break, for the $ you pay for one week of holidays here, how can you even complain!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank vsaldez
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Memories from May 6-13 and we had a great time! Neither of us had been to Cuba before, and before the trip we only heard the horror stories of the food and resorts. Reading some of the bad reviews for this resort has us worried as well, but once we got to experience it on our own we realized that people were very wrong!!!!!

We knew going to Cuba that the food wouldn't be great.... but neither of us got sick, and we didn't go hungry. I wouldn't say the food is great, but I wouldn't say it was terrible either...except the Gourmet A La Carte - the lobster was not what I was hoping... But the buffet had lots, you can get fresh chicken and fish every night... the fresh pizza was very good! And breakfast was the best meal! We didn't realize until the second last day that the beach had a little grill at lunch that served burgers, hot dogs, and grilled chicken. The Asian and Italian A La Carte were very good!

The resort itself was beautiful! Grounds were kept very nice, and all the staff were AMAZING. The staff at all the restaurants and bars were super friendly I loved them all... Enrique at the Azul pool was THE BEST.

Just a tip - we booked our room for the Memories Paraiso Resort...but when we got there our rooms were at Memories Azul - it wasn't a big deal since it is the exact same resort...so if you have booked for one but get the other. Don't worry about it. Some people were pretty upset, but you are getting a room and you get to use EVERYTHING on the property so no need to make a fuss.

Would 100% recommend this resort and would for sure come back!

Oh and if you go... you HAVE to go on the Catamaran Excursion... you get to play with dolphins, ride on a Catamaran that serves unlimited booze, you go snorkeling and see beautiful fish and coral...it was amazing. It only cost 99 pesos and its worth every penny!

The only "bad" thing would have been the toxic diesel they blow in the air at night to get rid of mosquito's... but you get used to it I guess lol.

AND THE BEACH WAS GORGEOUS!

Have fun!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank ktmholden
Windsor, Canada

We stayed from April 24th - May 1st 2012
Right off the bat I was not impressed with Sunwing, The luggage restrictions made it very hard for 2 people to pack for an entire week! I was certain I would "Never fly sunwing again" But I canged my mind once on board! Although the seats are a little cramped they have amazing perks for FREE while on board. We were offered champagne and served breakfast (lunch and wine on the way home) The flight attendants were very friendly and helpful with any questions you may have.

When we arrived at the Santa Clara airport I found customs a breeze be friendly and polite and you will have no problems. Once exiting the airport you see all the busses lined up for your trip to the resort. The sunwing rep was waiting to tell you which bus to board. The bus me and my husband was on offered beer for sale for $2.
The bus ride to the resort was one of my favorite parts of the trip! It was very relaxing and we got to see alot of Cuba. It was like a free mini tour, and the guide told you alot about Cuba and the history of the towns we were driving through! The Causeway was BEAUTIFUL!!

Once we arrived at the resort we were greeted with pink champagne! Check in was a breeze, and we did not have to wait for our room, and the free bottle of Rum was a nice perk. We opted to bring our own luggage to our room in stead of having a bell boy bring it up for us. We did not want to wait around until it arrived.
When we got to our room we were pleasently surprised by our view! When we booked through our agent, we asked for a regular garden view room with a balcony since we had limited funds at the time and we figured if we wanted to see the ocean we would just go to the beach! When our agent called sunwing to confirm our reservation she asked if we could have a King sized bed and if they could put us down as honeymooners ( we got married in October and did not yet take a honeymoon.... this was technically our honeymoon!) we also booked 59 days in advance, So I don't know but maybe those things factored into to the fact that upon entering our room we discovered we had OCEAN and POOL view!! It was amazing!!! I am almost glad we didn't pay for ocean view because we got it for free!!!
The first thing we did was went to the beach. And let me tell you.... OH MY GOD!! It was so breathtaking!! I heard that the beach was beautiful but seeing it in person is just unbelievable!! Pictures do not even do it justice!!!!! White powdery sands and water so crystal clear and every shade of aqua imaginable! The beach it's self was worth every penny of this trip! We spent alot of time at the beach on this trip!

The Food..
I had read alot about the food in Cuba. Our agent also warned us that it was not great. So I went with very low expectations. With my expectations so low I was pleasently surprised! I always found something that I liked! I mean it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. We had breakfast at the Grill bar buffet everyday (by the pool) because it was close to our room and it was open an hour longer for breakfast then the lobby buffet. Lobby til 10:30, Grill bar til 11:30. So it was nice that we could sleep in a little. We had fresh made omelettes every day! For lunch the first couple of days we went to the lobby buffet (where you could get pizza... Which was pretty good) But once we booked our A La Cart's we started going to the grill bar for a late lunch. If you went after 4pm you could get hamburgers and french fries! that was the food highlight of our trip! Since our dinner reservations weren't until 8-8:30 and the lunch buffets close at 3 we found ourselves to hungry to wait until dinner, so burgers @ 4pm was perfect.

Tip: Bring your own ketchup! if you like ketchup on your burgers or eggs, they don't have it there!

Book your A La Cart's as soon as you get there. If you wait you may miss out on getting into the good restaurants. The Medeteranian and Italian are the best. We didn't have the Italian until our last night and it was a pleasent ending to our trip. We also had Tex Mex (pretty good) and carribean (Ok food) We had family vacationing with us and they had the lobster restaurant, They said it was very good ( I don't like seafood so we opted out of this one) And they said the Asian Fusion was just Aweful!!! Stay away from Asain Fusion!!!

The Resort...
The resort was lovely, Very clean and tidy. Arcetecture very nice. large resort (even bigger if you want to walk to the paraiso side) But always a pleasent walk! We got our exersize!! you can always find a golf cart to jump on. They drive around and pick people up and drive them around the resort. This was handy if it started to rain. Staff are very friendly. I found Cubans to be some of the nicest people ever! Treat them with respect and be pleasent and polite and it will be returned. Don't treat them like they are just thjere to serve you or you won't get the service you want. If you greet them with a smile and be friendly they will remember you, and you will get great service! Yoinell at the lobby bar was the greatest! He made the best Mohjitos and always remembered us! We tipped good but didn't over do it, But tips are very much appreciated in cuba. They work very long hours and work very hard and get paid very little so be generous.

The Lobby bar was the best place to spend our evenings since the other bars close early. The lobby bar is 24hrs. We would hang there every night for drinks and there was often live entertainment. We met some fantastic people on this trip and we all met at the lobby every night. Our group kept getting bigger and bigger til I swear we took up half the lobby bar!! (little exageration lol)

All in all great vacation. Go in with an open mind and you will love it! I did not listen to all the bad reviews on here, and I`m glad I didn`t. Always remember when you are there, It`s Cuba... Not Riviera Maya, Or St. Lucia... etc. Many people we met there said they will keep coming back and it is WAY better than mexico any day!!!

Money Tip:
Only bring canadian dollars with you and exchange them at the hotel bank. NOT THE AIRPORT. You get a better rate at the hotel. Only tip in CUC`s. If you tip in canadian funds they will be greatful to your face (because they are polite people) But will later try and exchange it for CUC`s with other hotel guests. It is very difficult for Cubans to exchange our money. They can`t exchange it at the hotel like we do. They have to wait in very long line ups at a bank and they get taxed on it so they loose out big time!!! So do it right people! Tip with CUC`S
And by all means DO NOT bring american money!!!! First of all you will get taxed an extra 10% you you exchange it and DO NOT tip in american funds!!! Cubans loose out even more with american money!!! They do not want american money in Cuba!

I think I summed up our experience. We can`t wait to go back!

P.S.
Bring Bug spray!!! Bugs are bad, I got bit quite a bit the night I forgot to put bug spray on!!
And if you leave a nice tip and a little note in the mini fridge in your room they will stock it with extra beer and pop!!
And be Friendly :)

Room Tip: We had Bungalow 60 3rd floor, Great location!!, very close to beach and pool! But if you like to tak...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MaureenL_29
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Even at the decent price we paid, my husband and I were gravely disappointed in what was to be a "4.5 Star" hotel. It was advertised as such and with the "Diamond Club" upgrade we were told to expect 24 hour room service, butler service on the beach, 4 a la carte reservations, a complimentary bottle of rum and cigar. Basically "elite" service and accomodations. Thank God for the bottle of rum because none of the other services existed!!!
We stood in long line-ups for our meals the same as any other guest. We were only ALLOWED 4 a la carte reservations. There was absolutely NO beach service unless we waited in long line-ups at the beach "bar"(I've seen bigger hot dog carts). They had no 'power' to the beach bars either, so all we could get were local drinks when we were promised premium and NO draft taps either!!! We only had our "complimentary" mini bar restocked daily with 1 bottle of water,1 can of pop and 1 can of beer per day for 2 people!!
Guest services would not answer their telephone. Our power went out regularly and rendered our room keys inoperable. The safe went "out" several times. And we found it very strange that my husbands return stub from immigration was missing from his passport folder - after we got to the airport!!!
The food at the buffets were not labelled or recognisable and warm at best. I was sick as a dog from the so-called 'steak' at the a la carte.
The only real upsides to this trip was the fact that the maid and waitstaff were very accomodating and the beach was lovely as were the pools. Fellow guests are always a pleasure.
We travel often (anywhere from 2-6 months per year), and it was THE most shawdy deal we have come across to date.
Our advice....find another place to stay unless you consider a "Diamond Upgrade" one step up from a hostel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank tandl154990
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2012

It was ok for the money however, we would not return. The resort was so advertised that the entire resort was BUSY BUSY BUSY. Not enough chairs at the pools or beaches. Food was as we thought and bland but edible. We found where worked for our tastebuds and stuck to those. Breakfast in the buffets- suck up the lineups and go for the omelettes and pancakes.

Definitely do the catamaran tour that takes you to neighboring islands and to the dolphin arena. Well worth the money and so much fun!

The beaches are absolutely wonderful...sand is like flour oozing between your toes so fine and smooth...water was clear and blue! We really enjoyed the beaches and didn't venture to the pools too often.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family