“MEMORIES for sure!!!”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“MEMORIES for sure!!!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

FYI: - internet is slow and costly, NO clocks in rooms and beautiful big clock by "theatre" (but it doesn't work), so if you need to know time bring watch, need adapter for charging hair straighner cameras etc but there is hair dryer in bathrooms, lots more people are bringing stainless steel mugs for their drinks, ridiculously hard to get a loungechair by pool ....saw one couple bring inflatable pool chairs with them (smart idea), bring lots of sunblock as their store has few choices , some kind of bugs (not bed) so "OFF" and anti-itch is good add-on, "Michael Jackson" entertainment -a 'must see', lot of walking as resort is large and you have access to adjoining one as well, has disco for older teens etc, hobie cats are GREAT and included with resort so just need to tip them, long bus ride to resort but once there you have most beautiful beaches to walk (and no vendors), bank on site as is "plaza", small area to snorkel near Azul resort, book restaurants asap, A GREAT FAMILY CHOICE ...variety (pools/buffet restaurants/bars) and overall good service (the cuban way) !!!

Room Tip: highest floor will get you almost 50 stairs of exercise each trip ...not a bad thing FYI ...there a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank BRKJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,923)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
sask.
Reviewed February 6, 2012

we stay at the Azul two weeks the beach is nice but windy could only go 5 days to the beach.
the food was good for Cuba. the night entertainment was good but to loud.. was a long walk of meals. not for old people to many steps.

Room Tip: the 41-42 building,s are close to every thing
4 Thank javeit
Rockland, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Our visit to Paraiso was 22-29 Jan 12. This was our 3rd trip to Cuba with this Resort rating 2nd behind, Ensenachos and the old Krystal in Cayo Coco running 3rd. Arrival went smoothly, picked up our envelope in the conference room, included map, keys, brackets etc. Went back out front, got our bags, golf cart was waiting and took us to our room, Bungalow 41 room 38. From the bus arrival to room arrival approx 20 minutes.
Our room was on the second floor with a great ocean view, which we had paid for. Room was kept clean all week and maids were normally done by 1 o'clock. Bar fridge was refilled daily. A few minor things, our beach towels were not in the room upon arrival however saw maid in the hallway and got towels no problem. Maid also missed bath towels and toilet paper 1 day. In future I would take a spare roll just in case, it's after hours and the need is now. Again maids are generally around the building all day, so got what we needed right away. Our Bungalow was generally quiet except for the odd clown who couldn't close a door without slamming it.
Diamond Club - Is beginning to function as it should. Premium booze is avail at the main bar, gets you an extra a la carte, exclusive area on the beach and butler service. Area was well marked and people were asked to leave if not Diamond Club members. Most Diamond Club amenities are located in the Azul side. Also get a late check out (3 PM) which was nice. Key expired at noon so, have run up to reception to get a rekey.
Food - Buffet serves Breakfast and Dinner. Lunch is served a the Main Grill by the pool or at the beach grills. Beach grills serve hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken sandwich's only. Main grill is a large buffet which turns into 2 a la cartes in the evening and is open 24 hours a day. We ate lunch at the beach grill everyday but one and had no problems. Main buffet has lots of choice but not always prepared properly. Sometimes food was cold or dry especially fish. You will not go hungry.
We had 4 a la cartes - Asian, good, small portions, left hungry. Italian - very good. Steak House - Diamond Club had a lobster option so we had that, very good. Tex Mex - They have no idea what Tex Mex is, we ordered Fajitas but knew all was not right when we heard no sizzling hot plates going on around us. They were served on a plate with a blob of cold mashed potatoes, carrots and half a Fajita - disappointing
Resort is very large and very busy when full, so sometimes service is slow, especially at main bar. Least number of staff I saw at the main bar was 3 in the morning and on some occasions as many as 7 in the evening. We did not have to wait, wait and wait. We did not wait at the beach bar or beach grill for more that 5 minutes. Did not wait at any of the a la cartes. Waited only at the main bar as they were very busy making 20 drinks for every customer, that's why you wait folks.
Beach - Absolutely beautiful. (Why we go) - You do have to reserve your spot early, the main reason for that is "Not enough Palapa's or loungers." There is plenty of room for more Palapa's between Paraiso and the Azul for a start. Also when you step off the boardwalk and turn left, there is more room between Paraiso and The Barcelo Resort. Also there is a "me first' and a greedy attitude with some people. Some will reserve a spot at both the beach and the pool and not show up at one or the other. Also I saw people with 2 loungers in the sun and 2 more under the Papapa while other people sat on their beach towel, for lack of a lounger.
Service at the Beach Bar and the Beach Grill was excellent, 2 staff at each kept up quite well. They will fill the Bubba Cups.
We had 7 days of Sun and +28 degrees, some days were quite windy, some breezy and 1 day no wind at all, so a mixed bag, but all warm. When we left Ottawa it was -22. We did have 1 day of Jelly Fish, by the next morning they were gone.
I guess that's Momma Nature.
A few complaints - Fix the bloody lighting. Some are broken, fix them, some are burnt out bulbs, replace them, heard of old folks tripping because they could not see ledges etc. Put the bungalow numbers on the building itself, in our case, a 41 painted on either entrance. You should not have to enter a Bungalow to see the Bungalow number.
Sunwing - Flight departing Ottawa was late. It's a running joke, if you are late arriving or departing, it must be Sunwing. The night we left Santa Clara, there were 3 flights, 2 Sunwing and 1 Air Transit. Both Sunwing flights, 1 from Toronto and 1 from Quebec City were late. Another one we heard from a couple from Saskatoon, flight to Santa Clara goes to Varadero and the "slobs" are then put on a bus to Santa Clara, arriving at Memories many hours late. "Not good enough", Sunwing better get this fixed or your new shiny Memories Resorts will be empty. Many people I heard stating, "I'll not use Sunwing again"
Overall, A good week in the Sun. All staff we came into contact with, including
Reception were friendly and helpful. The Resort was clean, the gardeners worked hard making the Resort look good. We would go back again but only if Sunwing gets it's act together. It makes a big difference to me, if I arrive at 3 instead of noon or get home a 3 AM instead of 1 AM
Get money exchanged at the airport as the rate at the reception seemed to change daily depending our who was on duty

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank gordroxy
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I am still trying to figure out what I am going to say exactly.
In one breathe It was alright, in the other I was extremely sick for 8 of the days I was there.
Most of the staff was very kind, but greatly over worked, the food was terrible and mostly cold or undercooked.
Very unclean when it came to the buffet, and im my opinion someone is going to get extremely ill
or die from the unsafe ways they serve food and clean the dishes. The rooms are very nice, the bar staff
are a big "hit and miss".
The resort needs a very big change in alot of areas if it is to even hold a 4 star rating, I am also
very unhappy with Sunwing for the misrepresentation of this Resort.
The beach is truly amazing, and Ive seen many gorgeous beaches in my life, I give it a 10 star!
The management need a kick in the butt, they are not concerned what so ever when it comes to dealing with
complaints, they continually pass the tourists on to another person.
All in all, I made the best of it, have some great times in the 15 days, but in a nut shell? I would never return.

I may add more at a later time once I feel better, believe it or not, I am still not 100 % with my health from the trip.
I was back in the Doctors office again yesterday.

Regards, Pila.

Room Tip: I was in building 61, quite a walk if you are not into the exersise, but we enjoyed it. Buildings...
1 Thank Pila M
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We went for a week in January . We booked diamond club which is not really worth it although we got extra a la carte and our mini bar was always stocked. there was only one beach butler who couldn't keep up. The beach was beautiful and so was the snorkeling , just bring your own snorkel. The pools were nice and not too busy. No matter where you want to hang you need to get up early to get a chair. We were in 61 oceanview that was breath-taking. Room was nice clean and had good water pressure . Food: I have a seafood allergy so it was great that they had separate grills for seafood and one for beef, chicken . The breakfast buffet was really good . The service at some of the a la cartes was slow but the servers were pleasant and apologetic.but where were we rushing too!!! Not really any nightlife except the shows. Overall pretty gooD a solid 4 star, not really a 5 star

• Stayed January 2012
11 Thank MarleySkye
Morris, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We just returned from staying at the Paraiso side of Memories from January 28-Feb 4. We had read the reviews and so were fully prepared for a sub-par resort. We got a great deal and lowered our expectations. Check in was great, very fast and efficient. Our room was ready and had the crib in it that we requested. The room was very nice. We stayed in bungalo 39. We had no issues with service in the buffets, a la carts, or beach bars. The staff were all friendly to us. The beach was nice, pools refreshing and grounds well kept. Our only complaints and reasons why I rate it a three star were this:

1. The buffet food was terrible. This is my third trip to Cuba and I'm not that picky, but completely cold food, food not being replaced, long line ups for the hot food stations (not only because of the high demand but also because some staff working them were clearly not trained to do so.) made this a disappointment.

2. The pool chairs. We traveled with a 1 year old and so were excited to see that our room was poolside. Unfortunately we never got to sit at this pool. The towels are not regulated (you don't pay a deposit) at this resort so you can get as many as you want. Unfortunately this results in some extremely selfish and rude guests. Guests would put towels out late the night before or as early as 5 am and reserve as many chairs (or more) as they thought they might need. Then many would decide to spend the day on the beach, at another pool, or just walking around. At any given time I only saw 60% of the reserved chairs being used. We refused to contribute to the problem and so hiked ourselves, our kid and my in-laws to another pool that was a significant walk away so we could have more of a chance at getting chairs. This was very frustrating considering there was a pool just outside of our building. I realize that this is as much a guest problem as the hotel but I believe that there are policies that could easily be put in place to help regulate this issue.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank jaytrix
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This was my second trip to Cuba (my previous to a 4* in Veradero) and my boyfriend's first. I have been wanting to come back to Cuba for four years now after a fantastic first trip and I was not disappointed this time.

We had no problems at all with Sunwing on our trip down or home. The but trip from the airport in Santa Clara goes by very quick and I cannot understand how people can complain about it. It says everywhere that the resort is 90 minutes away from the airport. How long do people think 90 minutes is?????

We arrived at the resort at 830 am and check in was quick. Got our room keys, bracelets and everything in an envelope, had to fill out a quick form and we were off! Our room wasn't quite ready (which I didn't really expect it to be seeing as how we were early) so we just wandered, found everything we would need for later, and grabbed a bite to eat.

We did upgrade to diamond club for this trip and for us it was worth it. Excellent room, bath robes the whole time, and the best part, no wait to book our a la cartes. We went to the diamond club lounge and took us about 15 min, if that. We also took advantage of the premium liquor at the lobby bar.

The food was excellent, I put on 5 lbs in a week. We mainly stayed with the buffet food and managed to fill our plates at each meal. The grilled/warmed fruit in the morning was my favourite! We only got fresh cooked food twice. The first was fried rice which was AWESOME! Tip- if there are two of you, to save time for everyone else get him to cook it as a double serving. The second was chicken at lunch and this is where one of my biggest complaint is. Yes the line was long, but when I see a guy take every piece of chicken and leave none so the cook had to start over, then i can see why the lines were so long. And to be honest, the chicken from the buffet was better than the chicken at the grill. The grill at the beach served simple grilled chicken, hamburgers, or hot dogs and they were awesome. Add a little hot sauce and you have a yummy quick lunch on the beach. At the buffet, the girl cooking the crepes, Mercedes, was great and very quick. Always had 3 pans on the go and again, if it wasn't for people's gluttony, taking 6 or more crepes, the lines wouldn't be so long! We overheard a boy say to his dad "mom said I can only take 9 sausages". Seriously!!!

The beach was AMAZING! Again, diamond club kicked in there for us as well. Butler service was there but one guy for that size was a little too much for him. I did not mind getting up every so often to grab my own drink. By the end of our week they were checking bracelets and only allowing diamond club members in the area. We did not see any jellyfish! There were not any motorized activities which was nice as you didn't have to listen to the noise all day long. I have read complaints about there not being a lot of room on the beaches and the music was too loud. Well, there was lots of room , there was just a bit of a hike to the bars. No biggie! And for the music, there was only music on the Azul side, so head down to the Paraiso. We didn't spend any time at the pools but they looked very nice.

There was some complaints about the resort being too big. I did not find this to be the case. The resort I stayed at in Veradero was bigger! The workers say the Pueblo was a 5 minute walk from the lobby, it was more like 2-3 minutes. Maybe we are just fast walkers ;)

Our room was always clean and the fridge stocked every day. If we were there when he came by he usually gave us what we asked for (extra water, extra cola, etc).

We did tip and had no problem doing this. The workers are always doing something and work very hard! We even tipped Jorge, one of the gardeners, who was VERY appreciative. We figured that they were probably working 12 hour shifts and there were some there every day we were there. No wonder some of them may have seemed a little overworked/grumpy! Which leads me to our biggest complaint of our trip.....

This has nothing to do with the resort but our fellow Canadians/tourists. Some were so unbelievably rude to us that I cannot imagine how they were to the staff. No manners at all! No excuse me when reaching in front for something, no pardon me to get by, nothing! We are always pushing our boys to be polite and use their manners but apparently it doesn't matter. Honestly, a little politeness and a smile goes a long way! And reserving beach chairs and not showing up all day......do I really need to comment?

All in all I think this resort is very comparable to be 4* I stayed at in Veradero, if not better. The location is gorgeous and we plan to return again with our boys. The resort did seem to be trying to improve this while we were there. I did read all of the reviews before we left and I tried to look for the negatives while there and I couldn't. A great place to relax, enjoy the sun and the rum!

Room Tip: Bungalow 33, 2nd floor and up. We were in room 3350 and had a beautiful view and didn't even boo...
17 Thank difly13
Grand Memories Varadero
Grand Memories Varadero
#34 of 64 in Varadero
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,997 reviews

Been to Memories Paraiso Beach Resort? Share your experiences!