Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
$193
  • Breakfast included
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria(Cayo Santa Maria)(Great Value!)
$130
$110
galahotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Perla Blanca(Cayo Santa Maria)
$200
$144
  • Breakfast included
Grand Memories Santa Maria(Cayo Santa Maria)
$150
  • Breakfast included
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria(Cayo Santa Maria)
  • Breakfast included
Melia Buenavista(Cayo Santa Maria)
  • Breakfast included
Sol Cayo Santa Maria(Cayo Santa Maria)
6,635 results
All reviewsdiamond clubazul sidethe grillthe busa la cartesfishchickenlobby barocean viewpizzasanta clarakids clubsunwing flightbring your ownfriespeanut buttermain buffet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Our trip was from 6 jan - 13 jan 2012, rated 5 stars but give the serviceof a 4 star for theses reasons. Uppon our arrival we had to find were to register since it wasn't done at the front desk. The buildings main area weren't to clean but did improved over the holyday, the room was clean and the min bar replenished every day with some miss apps but a call to the front desk and he miraculusly appeared. the waiter service at the room and buffet was excellent except at the bar no matter what tips you would leave and service at the a la carte was atrocious and slow to a crawl specialy at the Asian restaurant were our waiter didn't speak french nor english and all resataurant had a minimal staff. we had great entertainment at the pool but none at the beach. The beach was kinda filty with garbage in some area with garbage left from the day before and see weed from the sea witch were pickup every morning in a very fast way but the water was some beautifull

Room Tip: Keep your windows closed at night, people coming back from the disco pass in front of most building beetween 12 and 4 am and are very noisy and loud
11  Thank Vallier H
Reviewed January 14, 2012

The beach and ocean are amazing. Food did not meet our expectations, to the point we were hungry and to top it off the 24 hour grill was closed from 7 to 10 in the evening...unbelievable! At the end of the week we were tired of waiting in line to get a drink. We felt very safe and some of the staff were very nice, although all in all not a five star resort.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Deb778
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We just returned from a one week vacation. We stayed in the Paraisio side which is pretty much the same as the Azul.

I dont get any of this whining by people who felt hard done by. The resort is beautiful. The beach is gorgeous. Rooms are great. What are you expecting? Jelly fish live in the ocean so does sea weed. Winds blow, sometimes they are cool. Swimming pools are not heated becasue they dont have to be. So relax and enjoy the Cuban sunshine and appreciate it.

The buffet is not set up as well as it could be. This may be partially an issue of the clientelle as much as an issue of the design. It appeared to me that many, many people were preferring to eat pizza, pasta and grilled chicken and nothing else. I saw these lineups and didn't eat any of those items for that reason. How would you like it if you only had those three food items for choices. I ate as many different items as I could dream of. They had curried mussels, shrimp, lobster, fish of all kinds, all of the farm animals and of course pastas, pizza, salad and breads. I find that many people dont like to eat food that is different than what they eat at home. I saw plates piled high with food simply abandoned. It was disgusting to think of all of the Cuban people who are struggling to feed their families while we fat gluttens scowl at their food or simply take more than we can handle.

The food staff worked very hard. They were mostly very efficient but sometimes must have been overwhelmed by the sheer numbers. I can only say that once we had poor table service but we sure didn't complain.

A la Cartes. We only went to one. It was the steak house. We ordered steak but it was very tough. We made a point of eating it but many people just pushed it away and likely went to the buffet. What is the point of going to the a la carte anyway? If you are expecting five star dining in a 3rd world country for free, you are mistaken. Just enjoy it for what it is. A more private table setting and a dress code.

The bars were great. Some bartenders worked very hard especially the ones that also made cappacinos, etc. Slush machines are used at most all inclusive resorts so get over it if you dont like slush or put up the extra money and go somewhere that uses blenders.

The most enfuriating thing was seeing drunkards (this one from Quebec) yelling at the bartender and being rude. No reason for this.

We have travelled to many all inclusive resorts. 6 in Cuba so far. This is by far the best for our money and we paid the least. In 10 years, Cuba seems to have come a long way inspite of the embargo.

People that complain about tipping are also out to lunch. Our service didn't change whether we tipped or not. I have spent more money on tips for one meal in Canada than I did all week in Cuba. If you cant afford to show the love, then maybe you cant afford to go on vacation in the first place. We tipped a total of maybe $50 all week and that included tipping the musicians.

Please go to this resort. Relax, enjoy the music, the coffee, sun, beach, mojitos, but be respectful, tip, shower daily, and represent your country well.

33  Thank Norm L
Reviewed January 14, 2012

When we got to our room and I decided to wash my face.. I picked up my towel to find a bunch of little black dead bugs,maybe chunks of dirt? folded between, okay.. so I pick up the next towel and it is full of stains! Are you kidding? I already have to request new face towels? Then to later that night jump out of the shower to a towel stained with blood! disgusting.. what is more disgusting the last night I also found a blood stain in my ripped sheets and ALL the towels were stained. I understand Cuba is a poor country but have some standards. And for future travellers the ocean view room isn't worth the extra money and the rooms are not life changing. The maids do not clean up they just turn your air conditioner off and make your bed (don't even change the sheets). The bar fridge was refilled ONCE during out 6 days and that was because we asked. When the issue was brought up to a manager he said "just ask your maid to do it". NO, it should be done daily as advertised.

Now, I am a very very very picky eater I came to cuba not expecting to eat at all! We went to the buffet put a few things on our plate and sat down. None of the food looked appealing, or normal! I know we are in Cuba but we all like the basics at breakfast/dinner! Fruit had NO flavour, meat was either unchewable or raw, ask them to cook it more and you great looked at like your nuts! One day I had to order THREE burgers! The first one was over cooked, or just sat too long. The second was still pink in the middle and the third one was bleeding. I didn't end up eating and felt guilty leaving the food but my health is very important. I cannot stress enough how awful the food was..It was often cold too.. even if we went when it first opened. I also have reason to believe things were reheated from the night before. Anh and I both had upset stomachs many days and a guest we has chatted with ended up ill as well.

We were honestly greeted with the following:
"What do you want" - this was a popular one in Cuba!
"What"
"Yes"
I know they don't know the language well but they were just plain RUDE and in no hurry to grab me a bottle of water, they would often go back to conversation and sometimes even forget about me completely! At one point we had had enough (on our last day) and got up and said something, the lady just kept walking away... We demanded a manager, a boss, anything and nothing ever came of it.

The waiters throughout our whole trip were RUDE! Our first day there and we ask for a drink with our dinner and were just told no, then when we questioned it again we were told they didn't serve rum. My plate was often grabbed from me, rather then asking if I was finished. Cups were often empty and tables, china and silverware were always dirty-lot's of staff around, chatting..in no hurry to serve the people who are paying to enjoy a "holiday".

Love to know what sunwing is talking about when they advertise 2 Buffets, 4 a la cartes and 4 bars... still wondering if we got off the plane too early because all that is advertised on the site or in my book is a joke! When you asked someone you answer was "not built yet". There was one a la carte. You had to book ahead (understandable). Menu changes everyday and you only get 2 per stay. When we went to book I had to throw a fit in order to get our reservations because they were "all booked up". Are you kidding me? You have people coming in every other day, how do you expect them to all be able to enjoy what they paid for? Got our reservations, food was gross, service was painful and the place was a ghost town each visit.. tables were all empty us and another couple. And I am sorry but every time I had a chance to help myself, I walked into the place to find it empty.. so why they told us it was booked I'd love to know. They do however have 2 a la cartes.. when I asked why the other was not opened so everyone could have a chance there they said they didn't want to pay for the air to run it... met a nice family there who went to reserve the day before us and never got a chance to enjoy sit down dinner at all.. hmm. I don't want to bring up other guests problems but every family/couple we met were not happy.

Again with the false advertisement, I am told this is R&R.. sunwing says there is a kids area in the pool my gosh! There was more kids then adults there! Why am I fighting for a seat at the aqua bar with children? Why are children (ages 6-10) being served rum?

Now let's talk about the "entertainment" or the lack of.. Everyday a lady was dancing by the pool.. I even got a chance to talk to her I asked her "Why don't you grab people, make them start dancing?" "Ma'am I know this is what the people want but if I do anything but this I will get fired."
The "shows" at night were a joke. A lady and a man took turns singing, another ghost town.. we were there for 5 mins one night. Sailing, Windsurfing, Kayaking, Snorkeling, and Introductory scuba lesson in pool were all "not ready yet". We asked the people and they either said "oh it's there go look" and then we finally talked to the sunwing person.. the day we asked he said yes it is there.. the next day came up and told us we were right it's not ready yet. The only thing available was the Catamarans (which was a fun 3 min ride). The hotel had 3 volleyballs to be used..that's it.

DRINKS, they don't know much but Pina Colada and slushy and rum..And often times you waited 20 mins or more for them too. The hotel ran out of Sprite (which I wanted to settle my tummy) and when I complained about it I was told to pick another drink because it was an all inclusive package.. then to later find others enjoying Sprite.

When dinner time comes around the mosquitos come out, bad too. I felt we should have be warned about this because it was unbearable and the bug spray we ended up buying there did not work. I understand it is there rain season but the men drove around at sundown in this truck that blew out a chemical fog.. no warning (I felt there should have been a set time they did this so guests knew), we could be walking and they would do it right in out faces/path. Where the buffet and a la carte was (you have nowhere to take cover) and there would be many people there... All the guests we talked to had been badly bitten, including us.

A lot of construction going on, apparently the hotel isn't finished and the "other resorts" were not there.. the bridge in my picture (in the sunwing catalog I have) isn't there..

I mean.. I have a lot to say but cannot waste anymore time on this. Overall this was a HORRIBLE place to be for a week, the staff was rude (I get treated better at Mcdonalds). Everything we were told and everything that was advertised by sunwing was not what we expected at all.

In the end this Hotel has a reputation and we feel we got the short end of the stick because it was "off season", another excuse. Looking at the new pictures I see there has been a lot of changes since my stay, maybe for the better but I will not go back...and to those who are raving about the beach and to not listen to the bad reviews.. yes the beach was amazing but it is like that in most parts of cuba.. buyer beware!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Angele B
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Just came back from Memories Azul, Santa Clara. We were not impressed with this resort and we are usually easily content. Beautiful beach, terrible service!!! We would rate the service like a 2 not more..And to top it all a rat in the toilet! Never again! FK

1  Thank MF B