“Amazing All Around”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing All Around”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a great time at the MBV. Previously we have been to Paradisus Rio d'Oro in Holguin once, Breezes Jibacoa once and Royal Hideaway (now Iberostar Ensenachos) four times. MBV is right up there as a premium adults-only Cuban resort.
We arrrived late on November 11th and check-in took all of 10 minutes. Our butler was showing us our room within minutes of arriving. Awesome. The best thing about this resort is the staff. The location and property are very nice and modern, but the staff make is so special. Our butlers Geraldo and Edel were awesome. They took care of everything and were very polite and efficient. Even the gardeners were fantastic. Honestly, I would love to hire Armando the gardener to do customer service work. He is so friendly and kind, with a big warm smile and laugh.
The property was hit by Hurricane Sandy before our arrival so the "after" state of the beaches was not the same as the "before" photos that we saw. This is no fault whatsoever of MBV, and they no doubt spent many long days cleaning up afterwards.
The food ... good. The breakfast and lunch got a bit tired but the a-la-cartes for dinner mixed things up so it was nice. We went to the Japanese restaurant at Melia Cayo Santa Maria one evening and it was great. We also went to MCSM for lunch at the beach restaurant one day and I highly recommend it. The food from the outdooor wood barbeque is spectacular.
We met a bunch of other people from Canada and we rented 8 scooters ($30 CUC per day each) and drove to the nature reserve at the end of the casueway, We found a beautiful deserted spot where a shrimp boat was hard at work. Don't be scared by the gate with the guard ... he's very friendly and there to help. Just make sure that you leave by 4:30pm so that you don't get locked into the nature reserve.
The outdoor showers were a nice feature but don't have a shower on at night with the outdoor light on. They're not quite as private as you might think. All of the bars (beach, pool, lobby) were great and serving decent imported liquor if that's your thing. It does get quiet at night. Around 10pm, most people go to bed. We stayed up at the lobby bar (it is 24hrs) once until 3:15am and it is very quiet. There is no disco on-site.
The pools are nice and the staff will serve drinks and food there as well. The cleanliness was good. The bed nice and comfortable (we have been on hard beds in Cuba before). Try a walk on the beach to the next resort, it's only about 45 minutes. Suggestion - bring Polysporin Itch Relief for the no-see-ums. DEET-based products don't work so well too repel them, but rum actually does work. Inevitably you will get bitten and when you do, the Polysporin Itch Relief is worth it's weight in gold.
Well-done, Melia Buenavista. We will be back.

3 Thank Ottawa_MikeM
Melia B, Director General at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Dear Friends;

Thank you very much for all your comments; we are glad to know that you enjoyed your holidays and we hope see you very soon.

Best regards

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had a very good week. Everyone was very friendly. The butlers Gerardo and Edel were excellent - they followed up diligently whenever we needed anything and were very attentive to our needs. Our room was terrific, the pool area had lots of room. The beach was basically unusable - Sandy washed out a lot of it and it was very steep for walking. It was also very windy and too cool to sit at the beach. There was not a lot of variety for food but what we had was very good. One annoying aspect was the little 'no-see-ems', little black flies that bite resulting in an itchy red bump. The resort does 'bomb' every evening to try and control them. The outdoor shower was neat and the little surprises in our room were fun. We would return again if we needed a quiet week of r and r.

Room Tip: You will want to be on the second floor and away from the pool area for better privacy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ernesto O, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us in Melia Buenavista. I’ll be happy to share your comments with our butler staff. Gerardo and Edel will be more than happy to read your comment.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to your new home in Cuba, so we can prepare more surprises for you in the room.

Warm Regards

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We tavelled to Melia Buenavista from Nov 16 to Nov 23 2012 and my wife and I can not say enough good things about the staff and the atmosphere there. Our butlers, Joel and Alien went out of their way to make sure all our needs were met and we would especially like to thank the bar tenders Oreste and Osmany for the top-notch service and for the many laughs. The nightly entertainment was excellent with piano, local Cuba singers and bands as well as a sunset saxophone player who came out to the beach. The resort itself was spotless and maids came each day and evening without fail. There are two pools beautiful pools, one more for entertainment with a bar, and daily barbeque and a quieter pool for relaxation. You will find three destinct beaches which offer the opportunity to find your own area to relax, although the farthest one down did have some hurricane damage.
All and all we had a wonderful vacation and honeymoon and we would not hestitate to return. The people of Cuba are friendly and are quick to help out with anything that you might need. I can only imagine the bad reviews are from people who would complain just to complian. We invite you to go and see for yourself, and enjoy the resort as much as we did.
Mark and Francene Eastern Passage Nova Scotia Canada

4 Thank Mark K
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff.

Oreste, Osmany and all our team will be very glad to know that their effort and genuine care for our guests is recognized.

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed our entertainment; musicians here have great skills.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Buenavista soon.

Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We chose the Melia Buenavista to celebrate our honeymoon and my birthday the week of October 13-20th, and could not have made a better choice!

We arrived late in the evening, were met in the lobby with a glass of sparkling and then driven to our room by one of our butlers. We were arriving at the tail end of a storm so it was very dark and we weren't able to appreciate how spectaular our room was until the next morning. When we woke up were amazed to see that we had been upgraded to a beautiful room over looking the "sunset beach". It was literally a perfect view.

The entire week we felt like we were pampered and spoiled by every single staff member. Everyone worked so hard and went out of their way to make sure that we had everything that we could possibly need. Our butlers, Alien and Joel were so attentive and made sure to find us every single day to see if there was anything that we needed. Javier in the lobby bar was one of the first people we were lucky enough to meet the night of our arrival and he continued to provide us amazing and personalized service every single time we saw him. He even brought a bottle of sparkling to our room one evening while we sat on our balcony enjoying the sunset!

Speaking of spoiled, we were treated to a private dinner in our room, finished off with a serenade by three amazing musicians and a bubble bath filled with flowers! How can you beat that!? Another evening were invited by the manager to a special honeymoon and anniversary dinner with all of the other couple's celebrating. It was meant to be poolside (which looked gorgeous) but we got rained out, so we had it in Los Ranchos by the beach and watched the storm roll over the ocean. These people did anything possible to help create amazing memories!

Food wise we went with a very open mind, not expecting too much, as we had read previous reviews and understand that "its Cuba". We were pleasantly surprised. I am a vegetarian, which further complicated matters and I was worried I would go hungry. Most definitely not the case! As soon as I made it clear to our butlers and servers that I did not eat meat (or fish or lobster..) they went out of their way to make sure I had enough to eat. At both of the a la cartes there was at least one vegetarian option for me to chose from and the chefs were always able to personalize my meal. At the Japanese restaurant at Melia Cayo Santa Maria the chef went out of his way to cook me extra veggies and even took care to use a different serving utensil for me! The thoughtfulness and care of every single person that we encountered did not go unnoticed, that's for sure!

Above all I think that it is the attitude and hard work of all of the staff at the Buenavista that make this place the perfect place to visit. From the extremely hard working gardeners to the workers in the spa and the maids to the turn down service every person greets you with a smile and seemed genuinely interested in ensuring you were enjoying yourself. Yes, there were "no see ums" (I was attacked, my husband left alone), there were some comical room service blunders and the weather wasn't perfect every single day, but you're on vacation in paradise!! There is no reason to let those small things get you down. Laugh about it and grab another margarita from the pool bar... it'll make it all better!

My husband and I have not stopped talking about this place since we left and could not recommend it to enough people. For rest, relaxation and pampering I would look no further, and I cannot wait to return to my "happy place"!

Room Tip: Room 721. Amazing view of the sunset beach.
5 Thank jash009
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. So glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed some time together here in paradise to celebrate your anniversary and honeymoon.

Thank you for recommending us to so many people and for choosing to stay with us and hope that you will come back soon to celebrate your anniversary here at Melia Buenavista.

Warm Regards,

ontario
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I travelled to this resort on Oct 26 to Nov 4.Combined we have been to Cuba 26 times, and have never seen service like this. Where to start? On our trip into Santa Maria we were on the heals of Hurricane Sandy which led to lots of local flooding in the low lying villages along the way. Hope everybody made it threw ok!

Flight: Flew with Canjet. Had absolutely no issues either way. The Canjet crew were great.

Arrival: Quick and painless out of the airport and right to the the cervesa bar, on the bus and headed to the resort. Great drive lots to see and goes by fast . Arriving we were met by a beautiful lobby and our butler Maikel who took us for a small tour of the resort and to our room. What a room!! We did not ask for oceanveiw room but got one anyway. Our room number was 0621 and was on the second floor. The rooms have a small sitting area, a few steps up to the king size bed and the best bathroom I have ever seen. Jacuzzi tub with separate sink area and toilet. There are 2 balconies, one for watching the ocean and sunset and the other with the shower. Nothing like looking up at the blue sky and palm trees when you shower. My wife was very impressed with the size of the closet also.

The resort: It could not be put in a better location. It was out of a movie, the big beach ,the reef and the quiet beach there like you were the first person to see it. Have too see this for yourself.
The buildings are new and in great shape for a tropical location. Everything is close so walking is not a big deal.On choosing this resort you can have the privilege of having three other resorts you can go to if you want to change it up. There is a daily shuttle that will take you to the other 3 resorts or you can pay one cuc for the double decker bus. We had stayed at the Melia Santa Maria in the past so we went to the Melia Las Dunas. The service and food at the Las Dunas was really good also. That is a very big resort and there is lots of walking. We were happy to return to our quiet piece of paradise. We usually prefer a larger resort but now that we have experienced the Buenavista we may never go anywhere else. Others have complained about mosquitos but we did not see any. My wife was bitten quite a few times by the no seeums or biting midges. Take bug spray with deet either way.

The food: By far it was the best food my wife and I have ever had in Cuba. This may be the first time we both gained weight!! I have read a few complaints about the food but you need to remember the embargo and that they are doing the best they can with what they have. There are always options and something to eat for even the pickest eater. If you want amazing food maybe a cruise would be better. You can go for a breakfeast buffet or have it in your room. The lunch was my favorite because you can go to the buffet or eat at the bbq by the pool ,or ask the pool bartenders to get it for you, pizza, burgers what ever you want they deliver. The restaurants at night were amazing, lobster every night if you wanted. We had the surf and turf one evening and it was 1/2 a lobster with steak. The menu changes every night in the Cuban restaurant and there is also a gourmet restaurant. I have been to Cuba alot and this is the best food i have had here. Again you can ask one of your butlers to make reservations at one of the other resorts or go to their buffet. We enjoyed the Italian and the Romatico at Las Dunas. Room service is also an option if you want to spend quiet time in your room and it was also good. A few times we ordered breakfast and they brought coffee, tea and juice plus a nice fruit tray with our order.(They also called me by my first name after I gave them our room number, amazing)

The Staff: Well this separates the men from the boys. When you come here it's all about you.
The butler service was great. We had a husband and wife team Maikel and Aylin that did things for us that they didn't have to do. This included arranging for our friends from Las Dunas to visit and see this amazing resort, champagne one evening and a beautiful bubble bath for my wife. We thank you for ensuring we had a great vacation.
The lobby bar staff at night never stopped moving, serving drinks and then when its slow cleaning the bar, the fridges and the coffee maker all while still being attentive to any guests.
The gardeners always gave my wife a a flowers when they seen her which made her day.They also wanted to take me fishing on there time off, they had families to go to. Thanks to Ivan and all the guys.

The pool staff were the icing on the cake. Osmany and Orestes aka (Mario Lemiuex) his brother from another mother lol, never stopped all day long. If you wanted food they where there, if you wanted drinks omg nevermind if you were half way done they would pour you a new one. These guys took care of you like I have never seen in Cuba before. Osmany kept me laugh the whole time I was at the pool bar.You guys are the best!!!! I have never meet a kinder man than Navilay the entertainer. He was always there for us and always had a second too chat with us when he wasnt so busy. Navy thanks for taking the medicine we brought to town for us.(we brought a suitcase full of medicine and medical supplies from Not Just Tourists) The reception staff also were amazing helping us with transportaion issues for our excursions.Not there job. Thanks again to Yaniry and Yenelys for all your trouble. We appreciate it a lot.

In closing a resort like this cannot function with without a good leader. I have been a contractor for many years and I know your employees reflect how you run your business. I did not have the opportunity to meet Ernesto personally but he has great employees and a great hotel. My wife did speak to him one evening and he was ensuring that our vacation was going well. We have never felt as rested and rejuevinated from a vacation as we did this time. All the staff made returning to the cold easier.

Thank you to everybody at the Melia Buenavista.(Wish we were still there)

David and Stacey Parker.

14 Thank dale88Ontario
Dear Valued guest,

Muchas gracias for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at Melia Buenavista. Reading about wonderful experiences such as yours inspires us to continue providing first class facilities and warmth service.

It seems that you enjoyed our rooms. I would say that we have the best rooms in Cuba.

I am also very pleased to read your comments about our staff. Comments like yours encourage our staff to be better. They are really awesome!

Also I want to thank you for the suitcase full of medicines. I want to let you know that the medicine were donated to the Children´s Hospital in Santa Clara.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

St. John's, NL
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned from 7 days at the Melia Buenavista and I am already trying to figure out when I can return. I traveled solo....last minute for a week of some R and R. Mission accomplished. I feel like I added 10 years back on my life. The resort is small in scale - a bonus in my opinion. Easy to get around and can be from Point A to Point B in a matter of minutes. Beaches were great - the online pics do not give them any justice. Food was A+. Rooms/suites were awesome and the grounds were well looked after. I upgraded to a premium oceanview room. Worth the extra. However, from what I could tell whether ocean, pool or grounds view - all were equally nice. What impressed me the most here was the attention to service and making you feel right at home. Ernesto, the manager, dropped by my dinner table the first night to check in on me and we had several conversations during the week. Nice to see such a visible hands on approach. The staff were all great - especially Gerardo, Chacon, Noe and Yanny. The piano/lobby bar is the only place for an evening drink. Tonnes of live music - breakfast, lunch, dinner at at the piano bar. If you want a place to party do not come here. If you want a place to rejuvenate your soul and mind this is the place. Like I said...I am already trying to figure out when I can return.

Norbert Lake
St. John's, NL, Canada

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank NLNL
Ernesto O, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Norbert,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We cannot thank you enough for your comments about our food and for choosing to stay with us and hope that you will come back soon.

Please let me know in advance. Yo can contact me directly in my email address: director.residente.mbv@meliacuba.com

Warm Regards

Magog
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and came to Melia Buenavista after reading all the great reviews. It more than lived up to our expectations. We arrived at the tail end of Sandy, and the waves and winds were intense. The staff was so kind and attentive and we always felt very comfortable.
Yandry brought our luggage to our room almost immediately telling us we could find him in the lobby if there was anything we needed. Our butler, Joel brought us to the room and told us he would be available if there was anything at all we needed. He was amazing, as was our other butler, Alien. On Joel's day off he went and bought us a clock in his town. We had mentioned there was no clock in the room and we did not want to be late for our dinner reservations. He was so reluctant to take money for it, we had to insist.

We were up very early on the first morning and went to the lobby bar where Noe and Jemma served us amazing cappuccino and chatted cheerfully with us, even though they were at the end of a night shift. We were completely charmed by all the staff here I feel I must mention as many as I can remember. There was Yaiset and Navy by the pool where we played volleyball and did the aquafit. The pool bar with Orestes and Osmany who work with amazing speed, serving drinks and getting food for guests. We never waited more than a few seconds, and they know what you like within a few hours and will come to find you if you don't come to the bar.

We could not swim in the ocean until the second last day, but the beach and water were still breathtaking. There is always someone to set up a beach chair and get you drinks. Often it was the lifeguard Reynald. He took us snorkelling on the last day and literally held my hand the whole time, pointing out lobster or schools of fish. Afterwards he showed me many of the fish I saw with a colour card and the pictures and names of the fish.

Ernesto the manager is always around and is very available to everyone. We told him we had no complaints and were so impressed by the staff. The only thing we did complain about was taken care of quickly. There were tiny ants in the bathroom, but the maid came and sprayed around the edges of the walls and there were almost none after that. It really is not even a complaint as we get ants in the summer here and it is the same solution. They were not biting or in our luggage, just around the bath.

The food was very good. We have been to Cuba before and always had a hard time with the food. But we found it to be consistently good, often very good and there was always something we liked.
I love the a la carte concept as I am very nervous of bacteria in buffet style. So it suited me perfectly. I did not have any stomach problems during or after our stay. The music was excellent. Live bands, some really talented. I absolutely loved Cuban night and did not want to leave the dining room I enjoyed the band so much. Joel was always around at supper checking that everything was to our liking and as we were leaving supper we asked him if the band had a cd and he ran in and got us one for 12 pesos. I was so happy to have this memory to bring back with us.

Armando the groundskeeper was also very sweet. Always cheerful and made the time to ask us if we were enjoying ourselves or needed anything. I have never stayed anywhere with such genuine and attentive staff. Than you all, and thank you Ernesto. You have created a wonderful retreat and obviously have surrounded your guests with a superb team.

As for tipping, well we tipped everywhere we possibly could with much pleasure. No one seems to expect it or take it for granted.
We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet vacation with fabulous service in a beautiful place.

10 Thank EvaMagog
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff.

It is very satisfactory to know you enjoyed the service of our staff. I`m glad you liked it. Comments like yours encourage our staff to be better.

We are also pleased to know that our associates, whom we are very proud of, were always helpful with your requests.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#9 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Melia Buenavista? Share your experiences!