Slightly Chilled
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Siumi Rest(Nallathanniya)
Amaya Langdale(Nuwara Eliya)
$178
$169
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsclimbing adam's peaksri lankaone nighthot waterbuffet dinnerguest housetoastgreat viewperfect baseplace to staythe ownerexcellent breakfastarrived latefresh juicebuffet stylecurriesclean rooms
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 27, 2010

The purpose of my visit is just to relax and bring a mind picture of the surrounding that I experienced as a stress reliever in facing day to day challenges of busy life. It was a great place to relax and experience the gifts of the nature. I just felt that I was in a complete different world. I could see from the room the range mountains specially the Adam’s Peak, waterfalls and the serenity surrounded by lovely trees. The water stream flows behind the room adds true beauty to the place and keep the place alive. The only noise I could hear was the noise from the water stream, waterfalls and moving tress. I could feel and smell soothing fresh air coming through mountains. It’s truly a place to keep you away from busy life and to make you stress free.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank AdmasPeakView
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Slightly Chilled for 2 nights in March. The guesthouse was very homely and the owners/workers greeted us at the door, took our bags to our room and were generally very helpful. There were quite a lot of flies but you soon get used to it and given heat/rainfall it was to be expected. Food was good, wide range of curries along with a bigger menu also on certain nights. In fact people staying in other places nearby seemed to be coming to Slightly Chilled for their meals. Fresh bread was delivered every morning from the bakery. The rooms were rather noisy but you soon got used to it and wasnt a problem as we were so tired from climbing the Peak that we didnt notice too much. There was a smell of sewerage but if you kept the door of the bathroom closed it wasnt a big problem. It is the perfect place to stay if you are climbing Adams Peak which is an amazing experience. The view of the Peak from the bedrooms/dining area were superb.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We got to Dalhousie, Slightly Chilled Guesthosue in the afternoon, they helped with our luggage and took us to our room. Nice views of the forest from the balcony. Had lots of flies in the bathroom, but bugs don't bother me that much. Only thing that got to me was the smell of sewerage was rather strong. The hosts then made me a terrificly hearty omellete and chips...we soaked in the views...and saw a forest fire!
Tried to sleep for a couple of hours in the evening before our walk, but unfortunately it was far too noisy, the walls were thin and we could hear people shouting and walking up the stairs constantly.
We left for our hike up Adam's Peak at 2.30am in the morning and arrived back just before 8am. We were greeted back by eager hosts wishing to provide us with food. Believe me,The breakfast was AMAZING after our walk, we were exhausted and it went down a treat. Fruit & Eggs made to order, with plenty of bread - just what we needed! For the price, we couldn't complain, it was a fantastic base and extremely friendly service. I would recommend to all.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
10-06-08, Owner at Slightly Chilled, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2010

Dear travelers,
I am writing in response to the minor complaints that we have had in the last season.
We are happy to say that all the old meshes in the bathroom have been replaced with new ones.
Gayantha said that the smell from the bathroom was actually from the farmers using illegal pesticides across the river. He complained to the governemnt and it has since stopped.
Regarding noise from guests in the sleeping quarters. I have asked Gayantha to write a notice that will be clearly seen in English and Sri Lankan going down to the sleeping quarters.
We are planning to replace the beds but sadly we can't right away.
I would also like to buy new showers so the water is more powerful but due to the war business has been rather slow and funds are not available.
We appreciate all your comments, good or bad, and we will keep working hard to keep our name as the No 1 guesthouse to stay at Delhousie, Adam's Peak.
We know most of you are on a time schedule but there are also some other lovely walks around the tea plantations that would be great to do the day you arrive before the long night climb.
We also advise that it is best to come during the week in the high season. I heard from a personal friend that one guest complained that we should tell people how busy the climb gets on weekends. Actually we have stated this on our website and I would like to emphasize again so your climbing is an enjoyable one.
Kind Regards
The Management at Slightly Chilled

Reviewed May 10, 2010

Room is very spacious. Mattrice very thin. Bathroom continuously had a funky smell coming from it and after hiking adams peak, a shower with good pressure and super hot water would have been nice. The food was great, especially the soups. The owners are lovely and helped me with a broken mobile phone. They did have a little shindig on the night in which my partner and i were summiting the peak and being in a downstairs room, we had alot of trouble falling asleep.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I've stayed at Slightly Chilled guesthouse twice now and I am sure it won't be long before I am back there again. It is definitely the best base for anyone wanting to climb Adam's Peak, both for being in the village of Dalhousie itself and for providing a charming and comfortable base. The owners speak perfect English and even remembered us from our previous stay .. it felt like coming home.

The decor is warm and welcoming, the beds are extremely comfortable ... which in a way is a waste, as most people staying here will only have a few hours' sleep in them before attempting their night-time ascent of the Peak. All rooms have a private balcony with good views of the mountain, and the centre of Dalhousie village where your climb begins, is just a 5 minute walk away at most. It is a stunning view from your balcony at night, when the mountain is lit up and you can see the lights snaking their way to the summit of Sri Pada, and also during different times of day when cloud or mist come and go, changing the view of the Peak entirely. Too many people use the guesthouse for one night alone, just to climb the Peak. It deserves longer. Give yourself long enough to explore the lower slopes during the late afternoon or early evening too, when there is a completely different atmosphere to that at night, or when you descend from Adam's Peak early in the morning.

The food is excellent, especially the hearty breakfasts, although they are not included in the room rate and are more expensive than normal guesthouse fare ... mind you, they are also far superior to most breakfasts I've had, so I guess they are catering for hungry walkers at the end of their climbs.

This is a lovely place to stay, whether or not you intend to climb the Peak. Just wandering around the lower slopes and seeing the bustle and colour is reward enough .. the tea pickers, Buddhist monks, stallholders and jaw-droppingly gorgeous scenery all around, although it is probably a bit quiet outside of the climbing season of December to May. The guesthouse can also arrange other excursions in the area, geared mainly towards the more adventurous and active visitor. The drive to Dalhousie is a bit off the beaten track maybe, but you will not see more glorious hillcountry scenery anywhere in Sri Lanka. It is by far my favourite spot in the country and I wish I was back there right now.

• Stayed: February 2010