“An Emotional Family Connection”

Gallipoli National Park
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Gallipoli
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Gallipoli was the site of a major battle in World War I and this peninsula, part of the Dardanelles, is still remembered as a major defeat for the Allied Forces—and a springboard for the future Turkish leader Mustafa Kemal. The beautiful, quiet park is dotted with memorials and other features; it is the site of a big annual memorial for the thousands of Australian and New Zealand forces who died here.
Terrigal, Australia
253 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 313 helpful votes
“An Emotional Family Connection”
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Over many years I had done considerable reading in regard to the Gallipoli Campaign - an additional motivation being the fact that my Great-Uncle (age 20) went missing-in-action in an assault by the 18th Battalion AIF on a strategic point named Hill 60 on the 22nd August, 1915. Gallipoli was a "must do" for me in my time in Turkey.
We were staying in Canakkale, took a ferry to Eceabat where we were met by Hasan, from RSL Tours. Hasan was superb in both his knowledge and ability to convey the conditions under which both sides fought. His intention to "de-bunk" a few of the myths surrounding the Campaign was well-received by those on the tour.
The visit was just what I wanted. We were taken to many sites, giving us plenty of time to reflect on the history of what occurred at each site we visited. Every Memorial and cemetery reflected the enormous respect that will always be evident between the Turkish nation and the ANZACS.
The visit to Lone Pine Cemetery and Memorial to the Missing afforded me the opportunity to see my Great-Uncle's name engraved on Panel 62, among the 4,000+ Australians with no-known grave or who were buried at sea, as well as the names of over 700 New Zealand soldiers who suffered the same fate.
The whole experience, on this day, is one that both my wife and I will never forget. If the opportunity allows, it is a place that must be visited. It holds so much history for us.

1 Thank Phillip8789

• Turkish first
CANADA
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Very Emotional”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

After a 4 hour drive from Istanbul, you reach Ecebat. Our tour guide Bill was very informative and gave us a detailed overview of what we were gong to see. His knowledge of the history that happened nearly 100 years ago is something that he his very proud of. He explained to us the areas of the campain that went wrong.
We went to Brighton Beach for a detailed description of the Gallopili campain, then onto ANZAC Cove. It is hard to visualise how they landed there. To see ANZAC Commemorative site on a day when no seating is arranged, makes the site look small. The plaques in the wall are very informative. The First Landing grave site shows that not only Australians but also New Zealanders. Lone Pine is a very moving part of the visit. We also visited the NEK, Turkish 57th Regement Cementry, Johnston's Jolly , Turkish and ANZAC's trenches. The tour concluded at Chunuk Bair and the New Zealand Memorial.
To any Australian or New Zealander having not been here, please do come and see it, it will be worth while.

Visited November 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
169 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 351 helpful votes
“Hassan from RSL Tours made the difference...”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I knew close to nothing about Gallipoli prior to joining this tour. All I knew was that this was an area where a battle happened. I did not know when this battle occured or what the ANZACs were. This tour had been arranged for me by Chora Travel as part of a multi-day itinerary from Istanbul to Anatalya.

I was the only non-Australian among seven tourists in the van. I soon realized how significant Gallipoli is to Aussies and Kiwis. One person in the van had lost a relative in Gallipoli, while another was a retired teacher who had taught this important history for years. Our tour guide from RSL Tours, Hassan, asked the Aussies which part of Australia they are from and whether they had a personal connection to the battles in Gallipoli. I was impressed by his knowledge of which regiment someone could have served under based on their Australian hometown. Hassan offered his e-mail address to everyone and invited anyone who had follow up questions to contact him after the tour.

It became apparent early on that Hassan is passionate about sharing the history of the Gelibolu Peninsula battles. He has read many historical accounts and has met many historians. He explained the roles the terrain, weather, and Turkish army played and in so doing, provided a much broader perspective of history that may dispel or call into question popularly-held beliefs. We drove to various points of interest and Hassan even helped find one of the Aussie's relative's name at Lone Pine Cemetery. At the end of the tour, Hassan wrapped up our history lesson by profiling lesser-known Australian heroes of the battle. As a someone with no personal connection to Gelibolu Peninsula, I learned so much from the tour and came away with a much deeper appreciation of this piece of history, thanks to Hassan!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank CCC_wanderlust
Somerset, England
356 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 316 helpful votes
“Steeped in history”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

A long drive from Istanbul, punctuated by restroom breaks, on the first day of our coach tour, brought us to Gallipoli and a very interesting afternoon was spent visiting Anzac Cove, The Lone Pine Australian Memorial and the New Zealand Memorial at Chunuk Bair. Our guide gave us a brief talk on all that happened during the battle from both sides but there is never enough time to study everything in great detail when travelling with others. We were also able to walk in the reconstructed trenches which played such an important part of this campaign.

All the memorials were in superb condition, especially the one dedicated to the Turkish 57th Regiment.

All this area is beautiful and it is a shame that there have to be souvenir stalls in the car parks.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank GillyB57
Dublin, Ireland
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Spine tingling”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My grandfather fought here with the Leinster Regiment in 1915 and I'd done some research on the involvement of the 10th Irish Division in the Dardanelles Campaign. I thought I was prepared for what we would see as we have toured extensively in the battlefields in France from both World Wars. No research or reading could compare to the experience of seeing Suvla Bay or the Salt Lake and trying to imagine what it must have been like for my then 28 year old Grandad. Most tours are designed for Anzac tourists but we were able to go off piste and see the places where he would have soldiered, places like Chocolate Hill and Hill 60 together with all the little graveyards dotted around . We planned the trip for about 3 months before we went to ensure that we got the result we wanted. Our guide was more knowledgeable about the Anzac campaign and I probably knew more than he did about the Irish regiments battles.

It was a trip we were really glad we made. We also squeezed in Troy but it needs some TLC and we would not be in a rush to go back there but we will definitely be back to Gallipoli.

Around the big Turkish Memorials facilities are pretty basic and the food stalls are not great either so bring a big picnic and loads of water. It can be busy as It's very popular with Turks too, well it would be wouldn't it as they won and it brought Ataturk to the fore in Turkey, and he's still very much the hero and saviour.

BTW he survived, not only there but Palestine, Salonika and The Somme too and only died in 1954. He is buried in the British War Cemetery in Dublin.

Visited July 2012