“Pleasant experience at Tiny's”

Tiny's Bar and Grill
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional Newfoundland fare
Newfoundland
“Pleasant experience at Tiny's”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We dropped into Tiny's this past Sunday upon recommendations from some friends. The outside is kind off deceiving because the interior is very comfortable and inviting having a cozy pub type atomosphere of darker walls and wooden floors with a nice fireplace. The service for drinks was pretty quick but we did have to wait longer than neccessary for food. Overall however the server was very pleasant. Two of our party ordered the fish and chips and I ordered the roast beef dinner which came with fries, veg, dressing and gravy as standard. The veg were the frozen kind like you would purchase bagged from the supermarket (no issue with that as they were fine), fries were excellent but the roast beef had that re-heated taste that I do not like. I was looking forward to it tasting like it came out of the oven but it didn't. My companions fish was excellent - white, flaky and not greasy at all. I will be returning there and try some different items on their menu before passing any final judgement because I don't believe you can do anyone justice with one trip.

• Visited December 2013

St. John's
“Lack of Staff and long wait times.”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We got to Tiny's and were sitted at 6:20pm. There were approximately 35 people in the restaurant. The server (with no smile) directed us to our seats and asked us what kind of drinks we would like. We put in our drink order and the server came back with our drinks and handed us our menus.

6:37pm our server passed by us and asked us if our order was taken, we replied no so she then wrote down our order which was:

Appetizers:
Mozza Sticks
Onion Rings

Mains:
Tiny's Burger (with bacon, cheese, lettuce and chipotle mayo) w/sweet potato fries
Cod Au Gratin with baked potato

32 minutes later we received our appetizers at 7:09pm. We were a little irritated that mozza sticks and onion rings took 32 minutes to reach our table. The mozza sticks were your ordinary everyday mozza sticks, they were hot which was a plus. The onion rings were a large portion and they were homemade which is preferable but the only thing was they were really greasy. I only managed to eat 3 or 4 before my lips were covered in grease. The bottom of the basket was covered with grease and formed a little pool at the bottom.

21 minutes later at 7:30pm our server came back and took our half empty baskets but not before we asked if we could get refills our on drinks. She came back a minute later with our drinks (which was the fastest part of the meal).

We overheard one of the servers mention that they had to call in the owner because they were overwhelmed in the kitchen. Personally, if you are under-staffed and are at capacity (as they tables were mostly full) then you should double check your staffing options.

22 minutes later at 7:52pm we finally received our main meals. Unfortunately for me my main order was wrong. I didn't receive chipotle mayo but regular mayo (the Tiny's Burger specifically stated chipotle mayo) and I received regular potato fries instead of sweet potato fries. I didn't dare ask for what I ordered, afraid I wouldn't get it for another 20 minutes so we just ate what we were served.

We finished our meal at 8:06pm and got up and went to the bar to pay as we didn't want to wait any longer for our server to come back and ask us if we wanted desert or for the bill. At the bar the server didn't acknowledge us, ask us how our meal was or offered us any mints. She said "table 3" punched some buttons and asked my finace "VISA or Debit?" and to which my finace paid with his VISA card. The total for the whole meal was $53.81. We didn't leave a tip and my finace left the server/cashier without as much as a smile or a "We hope to see you again."

I'd also like to point out that 2 tables came in 30 minutes AFTER us and received their meals BEFORE us. We were there for 2 hours which should have been 45 minutes, we weren't pleased at all with this restaurant and sadly probably won't return to eat their again.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank jurotbrom
paradsie
“Great Food and great Service”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

As we passed by this restaurant, we decided to turn around and take a chance and visit .
We were pleasantly surprised at the great affordable menu, and the service was great!!!. The food was served in a timely fashion and it was great!!!
I would definitely recommend this great place!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Gerry C
“Will be coming to Kelligrews again just for Tiny's!!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Love this place! Looking to kill time between wedding ceremony & reception & late lunch. Not a lot to look at from the outside but gorgeous green and orange walls inside, very cozy and charming inside. I'm guessing by the newness of everything the the previous reviewer's remarks that they have recently moved into this location. Although I purposely picked this for the chance to have a drink, and couldn't because they haven't their liquor license yet, the food MORE than made up for it!! Calamari rings are to die for! Amazing!!
More than worth the trip in off the TCH!!

3 Thank Upshall
Montreal, Canada
“Great Fish and Chips!”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Pleasant traditional Newfoundland restaurant located in what looks to be someone's bungalow. Varied menu, reasonably priced and generous portions. Originally from the island my trips back usually include a feast of fish and chips at a very well known local establishment. I have to say that Tiny's Bar and Grill had superior fish and chips but also provided a very cozy atmosphere.
Whether you are a local or a tourist, I highly recommend this friendly eatery.

• Visited March 2012