“over priced poor service”
Review of Grandview Motel - CLOSED

Grandview Motel
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went here for dinner for a special occasion. When we entered the restaurant we were greeted by the owner who we know through friends. We were ushered to a table and then made to wait 25 minutes before being asked if we would like to order drinks. During this time I tried to flag down a waiter/waitress, the host or the owner none of whom would make eye contact or come to our table. This is saying a lot since we were inside, close the bar and there are only maybe 15 tables in the entire restaurant.

We ordered appetizers of avocado cakes which were dry and over cooked, crab cakes- which had a lot of filler and not a lot of crab, and steamed mussels- which were actually very good. for the main course we ordered Steak- two of us ordered this. We both ordered medium steak and mine was served raw and the other was well done. I then had to send it back to get a medium steak and it came back well done. Not impressed. The other entrees were pork ribs- which were tender but the sauce tasted like it was from a cheap bottle from the grocery store, the final entree was whitefish which was overcooked. We chose not to have desert but did have a bottle of wine- which was nice but had nothing to do with the restaurant. The total for out bill was $220 for four people. We had slow service and the food was not great. I would not recommend this restaurant. Go to the golf course for better food, and lovely wait staff. There is live music at this restaurant from 8-11pm. The music was good but too loud to talk to the other people at my table.

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Great food, excellent value for what we had ordered. (A platter for two and we could not finish it all). Staff is very friendly albeit a bit inexperienced. Beautiful view and a lovely evening overall. Worth checking out!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I ate here between 5:00 pm and 6:30 pm on July 29 2013 and had a very good experience. We had a very generous helping of mussels as the appetizer, in a garlic-tomato-onion-olive sauce. Excellent! Main courses were the stuffed whitefish (crab & shrimp I believe), and the blackened cajun whitefish. Substantial portions of each, and perfectly cooked. Our waitress was excellent: friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable about the food and the drinks. Our bill, with one beer, and a healthy 6 oz glass of wine (it was more than 6 oz!) came to $90 before tip. The view from our window table over the bay in the late afternoon sun was a bonus.

Only a couple of minor points for future patrons to consider. The dining room is advertised for "romantic dining". Well, the view is nice, but the music was not romantic, and the dining room is not all that romantic. Adequate and comfortable, but it is really what I would consider as "family dining". Music was fine, but definitely not romantic (mixture of 60's, 70's, 80's).

1  Thank sunsnosailski
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Without exaggeration, this is the worst service I have ever received in a Canadian restaurant. Approximately 15 minutes from being seated to being asked for drink order. When it came time to order, I got the whitefish stuffed with crab, and asked the waiter in no uncertain terms if it contained cream or cheese, as I cannot eat either. He emphasized that it did not. On a whim, my girlfriend and I then decided to add an appetizer of the duck fat Gnocchi as an appetizer. When it arrived, it was absolutely swimming in both cream and cheese. The menu simply said "Gnocchi with duck bacon and wild mushrooms". When I pointed this out to the waiter, he casually responded "oops, maybe we should have put that on the menu" (and also, maybe you should have studied up on the dishes you serve, and maybe when a guest mentions a dairy aversion you point out that a dish is slathered in it). He really did not seem to give a damn, but I figured there would have been some reconciliation on the bill. The whitefish arrived and, in fairness, it was pretty good. Overpriced, but good. We then asked for the bill, and waited. And waited. And waited some more. After about 20 minutes, we flagged down another waitress, who very brusquely said she'd "see what she could do". Finally our waiter emerges with the bill, and to our surprise nothing was taken off it. As an absolute minimum, half the cost of the appetizer should have been removed, but it wasn't.

I realize that this is a very small town and you're not likely to find the calibre of restaurant you would in Toronto, but our experience at this place was so bad that I felt compelled to write this. I would strongly recommend against going here.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Never mind the stunning landscapes and the raw beauty of The Bruce Peninsula, there are plenty of other reasons to love this area - and one of those is the Grandview Restaurant in Tobermory Our dinner there has truly made our days on The Bruce memorable. Service is awesome, atmosphere is perfect (sipping wine on a lovely deck overlooking the entrance to Georgian Bay is nothing to sniff at) and then the food comes and it's fresh and beautiful. Starting off with the homemade warm herb tea biscuits and the the hand-crafted cheese breadsticks that melt in your mouth (but not in your hand)... the salmon roulade, gently stuffed with cream cheese and capers, the coconut shrimp so daintily dressed so that the coconut is an accent and doesn't overwhelm the shrimp, the ribs that fall off the bone, the chicken so moist and flavorful...the salads...the sides...all scrumptious and elegantly presented. The service is excellent, the mood is light, the view can't be beat. The best part of visiting summer tourist areas is that the relaxed mood is infectious and smiles abound. When you add fabulous food it's a win-win. We will go there again. Guaranteed.