“good food, abysmal service”
Review of Grandview Motel - CLOSED

Grandview Motel
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Toronto, ON, Canada
“good food, abysmal service”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My friend and I both ordered the same meal: We shared a roasted veggie appetizer. For the main, the local whitefish, which was simply prepared, but good. Entrees come with two sides- we ordered steamed broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes, both good.

We sat on the patio, which has a beautiful view of the sunset. I'd recommend covering up though since the mosquitoes were biting at dusk.

My only criticisms would be directed at our server. He was not very friendly from the start. My friend asked him to recommend a wine, which he was unable to do, not having tried the wines. Later my friend asked about the difference between the whitefish and trout special, and all he could offer was that the trout fillet is cut thicker, but otherwise he didn't know the difference. He dropped off the plates and disappeared before we noticed that he had given us both the wrong sides (a different roast veggie dish, which was as it turns out my favourite part of the meal). I waited 10 minutes, and then flagged down another server to call our server since he hadn't checked in on us since he'd dropped off the plates. When he arrived at our table he simply stood wordlessly and waited for me to initiate a conversation, a very awkward moment for my friend and me. I asked if he could bring us the sweet potatoes we had ordered, which he did very promptly, but in no way did he acknowledge he had made a mistake or said, "oh, sorry about that".

So, would I return? Yes. The food was simply prepared and tasty. And your alternatives in Tobermory are lacking. The reviews of the other restaurants in town make me think the higher prices were worth it. But, at a restaurant of this price bracket, the waiter should know the menu, the basics of the wine list, and check in after delivering the food.

• Visited September 2012

muskoka
“Great service and great food in Tobermory”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

the service the food and the wine list we were so pleased with this restaurant and location what a wonderful view while we enjoyed our dinner definitely go back some day

Visited August 2012
Ayr, Canada
“The best fine dining in Tobermory”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is probably the best place in Tobermory for fine dining. We've been here before and while it's pricey it's worth it. Sure, there are cheaper places in the village but once in a while it's good to splurge a bit and treat yourself to something above the ordinary.

On our last visit we managed to get a table on the patio. Looking over Little Tub harbour and watching the boats come and go is relaxing and adds to the dining experience.

The food is very good. Two of us ordered the Soup du jour which, on our visit, was a curried chicken with rice. It was delicious. Not too hot and lots of flavour. All gone in a matter of minutes. Yummy!

For mains, I ordered the broiled Georgian Bay Whitefish with a side of basmati rice with fresh mint and steamed broccoli. I will often judge a restaurant on their broccoli. If it's overcooked and mushy the kitchen staff don't know what they're doing. Not here. The broccoli was perfect. The texture and taste were not destroyed.

Two of the people in our party ordered the Orange Ginger Salmon and one ordered the Pecan Crusted Chicken. There were no complaints, only compliments.

The service was super friendly and prompt.

As we were finishing our dinner the sun was setting and the MS Chi-Cheemaun was coming into port. What a lovely way to finish a meal!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank kanadai
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
“A longtime favourite”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We've eaten many times at the Grandview over the past 15 or more years. It has become a favourite even though it is expensive. Finding ourselves alone at the family cottage last weekend, my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to dinner at the Grandview. Our server was friendly and unlike some other reviewers, our beverages, salads and entrees were served without delay. This will continue to be a favourite for the food and the view.

• Visited August 2012
Toronto
“Fine dining with a Sunset to die for!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Three of us girls decided to go for dinner and we saw a sunset to die for while waiting for our table to be ready.

Our server was fast intelligent beautiful and kind…the seafood for 2 was so delicious! Tons of food! I had the gnocchi appetizer and will never forget it as it was light airy with a delicious sauce of bluecheese and wine…omg! You must go there if your ever in Tobermory and love fine dining and sunsets.

Visited August 2012