“Good location, somewhat overpriced.”

Tobermory Princess Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Tobermory
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I'm being a bit generous giving this property a 4. I think it deserves a 3.5, but of course TA doesn't allow for that, so i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...

Good location, within easy walking distance of the main drag of "downtown" Tobermory... Our room (one of the last available) was a double (not queens) with a partial view of the harbor. Unfortunately, the air conditioning units for the building were right outside our window.... Our room was a bit tight---the double beds took up a good chunk of floor space... It's worth mentioning there was not a fridge in the room, which is important to us.... Also, it had an older CRT TV... The bathroom was nice enough, tho a bit dated.... Even though the hotel was an older structure, the owners did a pretty good job of remodeling and surprisingly, it had an elevator. The hotel had a cozy feel to it, rather than being cold and sterile..... The one big exception is all the industrial grade (and looking) fire doors on all the rooms---cozy room, with a big, gray metal door....someone wasn't thinking....

Our room was about $165 CAD/nite. We thought it was unusual for them to take a $200.00 deposit on the room (it was fully refunded), but nevertheless.... Anyway, $165/nite for this room seems a bit high---at this price, they should at least put a fridge in the room.

The restaurant looked nice--we had breakfast there... Note on the "complimentary breakfast": the complimentary breakfast is very basic--either cold or hot cereal and a few other continental breakfast items... If you want anything substantial, such as eggs, waffles, pancakes etc, you're gonna have to pay... And, it is served to you in the restaurant, it's not buffet style like most other places we've stayed at....

In conclusion, i would recommend the Princess hotel... There are other higher rated places in town, but if they're all booked, the Princess is a good alternative.

Room Tip: Try to get a harbor-facing room. Better than looking at a parking lot!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank StrangeTripper

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I wanted a room at the Princess Hotel but they were full so they offered me a cottage at a rate of 179 plus taxes…

When I arrived at the cottage I was taken aback by the smoke smell! I is a cottage that needs so many repairs that I was completely dismayed.

The toilet runs all night…the shower is disgusting and the wall is rotting…Sparsely furnished and very dumpy…

Room Tip: I called to book a room at the Princess Hotel and was told they only had a cottage available at a ra...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Robin07Toronto
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Good:
Mostly friendly staff and a nice location. The hotel is a bit dated, but so is most of Tobermory.

The Bad:
We booked a wheelchair accessible room but it was not fully accessible. The door to the deck was too narrow to fit through, so no enjoying the view. The bathroom was okay but not really set up for access, so be warned if you require a sink with a cutout or a tub with a bench, etc.

The room had a strong chemical odor (cleaner perhaps) and the bathroom floor was slick with something ( my wife went skating when she walked in).

I felt that the price was high for the quality of the property.

The Ugly:
We went to the restaurant in the morning and were being seated by the window when an older lady (she seemed like a family member of the owners) came over and tried to move me and my family to the back of the restaurant where my wheelchair wouldn't be in the way of the guests. Everyone who overheard was embarrassed and I insisted on a window seat, but they really need to get some customer service training for this woman. My chair wasn't in the way at all, and I was a customer too - not just a piece of furniture.

So, kind of a mixed bag. Not the best if you're in a wheelchair, but located in a nice area.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TravellingWithWheels
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My first time into Tobermory was with my husband with plans to camp. Lots of places to stay until someone suggested we have breakfast at the Princess Hotel. During our meal my husband spoke to the desk and we were given a room later that day. Since that year my husband and I have booked with the Princess and have stayed in most of the rooms. Great people clean accomadations excellent staff and great meals with awesome prices. The views, the walks, boat trips, hiking trails, swimming,scuba diving plenty of shops and clean fresh air. What more do you need and I have nothing left to say. We are on our way to Tobermory this year and many more to come. Just try it you just might like it. I know we do. XOOX

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.Air conditioned,clean and lots of room with a balcony and a table and chairs...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Diane E T
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed at the Princess for two nights, mid-week in mid-June.
The most impressive part of our room was the amazing, huge balcony overlooking the harbour. We were on the third floor and could see everything! And the breeze up there was awesome. Also, the elevator was great for going up - we used the stairs for going back down.
The room was clean and had air conditioning. It could use a little fridge, but we brought a cooler and ice was available in the lobby.
The lobby also had a stack of things you might need and forgot to bring or get. Very handy. We didn't use it, but could see where we might have needed to.
Breakfast was good in the restaurant, although we got the breakfast special, not the free continental breakfast.
Noise from other rooms and the hall travelled quite easily, so light sleepers might have a problem.
Overall, I'd recommend this hotel for a stay, and highly recommend the balcony rooms facing the harbour if you can get one, the higher the better!

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor facing the harbour with massive balconies are awesome!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janeway62
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed 4 nights while in Tobermory. The room was basic, but comfortable, clean, and clearly updated. We had a room overlooking Little Tub Harbour with a great view of the downtown and the Ferry. We were out and active all day, and it was great to relax on our balcony at the end of the day.

The restaurant is surprisingly good. It has a Greek decor, and I think the owners would be wise to highlight more traditional greek dishes on their menu. We had excellent breakfasts there, too. Service was excellent.

The only issues we had were the bathroom fan was a bit noisy, and the Internet was on-and-off (but not necessarily the hotel's problem).

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the harbour.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hiker7777
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the cottage next door to the Princess Hotel. It was quaint if a bit outdated but it served its purpose for 2 nights. Main reason for the average rating is we expected a bit more for the price of $190 CAD per night. We found the place to be very clean but with a somewhat musty smell, this may be because we were there early in the season. The floors are all a bit sloped and slanty which is to be expected in an older place. The bedding and pillows were all adequate and comfortable. We slept in one of the downstairs rooms and my father in law used one of the upstairs rooms (the place can sleep at least 8 people if you had a crowd but the rate goes up per person, there was an additional fee for us to have 3 adults stay there). My father in law complained of hearing a critter running in the rafters (we think it was a squirrel) and we were all a bit surprised to find an open container of rat poison in the corner of the kitchen as we were staying with our 9 month old daughter. Luckily we found it before she did but just be cautious of this if you are traveling with little ones. It was also unclear as to what would and would not be included. The staff advised us to bring our own towels/facecloths at the time of booking, but I expected the place to be otherwise equipped. In fact it was not and we had to go to the grocery store and stock up on odds and ends such as dish detergent and trash bags to name a few. In the end we all agreed we had a nice time, but felt the quality of the place didn't match up with the price.

(Side note: my father in law complained to the manager about the rat poison/musty odor/attic critters and we were given a partial refund for the first night's stay.)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lorichick
Tessie0765, Owner at Tobermory Princess Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

Response to Trip Advisor Complaint:

Thank you for this feedback. We're glad you ultimately enjoyed your stay with us, but are very sorry that a few issues stood in the way of complete satisfaction. We did just want to address a couple of your points, so that future visitors to the site don't think we haven't rectified a few things. Firstly, we do in fact stock and provide dish soap and trash bags, to help guests clean up during their stay. This was a total oversight on our end. We can only chalk it up to "opening weekend jitters."
As you were our first guests of the season to stay at the cottage and our cleaning staff overlooked stocking a few items in preparation for the long weekend. Hopefully our staff was helpful in giving you what you needed once you asked but I am truly sorry that you had to ask. The cottage is located right next to our hotel, so we will be sure to make it clear to future guests that they're welcome to pop over next door, in case they run out of anything. Secondly, we're not in the habit of leaving open containers of pest control in our guest's sight. I'm unclear on whether you found this in plain view or in a cupboard. We are vigilant about pest control (mice, NOT rats), as most hospitality establishments are especially in this season of spring awakening. We are sorry to have left evidence of that, but it is a reality of country life.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we do hope you won't hesitate to visit the Bruce Peninsula again --We're glad you agree it's a lovely spot.
All our best,