“Great Room!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Bay Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tobermory
Blue Bay Motel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tobermory
Kitchener, Canada
“Great Room!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My lady friend and I spent a wonderful evening at this lovely little motel. We were greeted with a smile by a very friendly woman at the front desk and check in was fast and efficient as I have stayed here before. This time it was just as good and the view of Little Tub from the upper deck is GREAT.
The only drawback to the room is that it is not air-conditioned. There is a widow fan but air-conditioning would have been appreciated if the weather was hot and humid. Lucky for us the weather was fair and not too hot.
I can recommend this motel as it is well run and very clean.

Room Tip: My lady friend and I spent a wonderful evening at this lovely little motel. We were greeted with a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KitchenerJimmy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place looks like nothing special from the outside. Just your typical two story motel. We had made reservation ahead of time and when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. We were traveling by motorcycle and when we checked in the woman at checkin had already placed a cone in the parking spot outside our room to reserve it and gave us a map of the best roads to ride. She personally showed us to our room. The room was done in wood, had a view of the harbor, and was comfortable. There are chairs and a table outside each room so that you can sit and enjoy the view. There are plenty of restaurants in within walking distance. The bed was a bit soft for my taste but I slept we'll. My wife and I loved this motel.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for a view of the marina/water
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rider65
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Loved the pebble decor in the bathroom. Comfortable outdoor seating. Easy walk to shops & restaurants. One thing missing was a Bible in the nightstand. Spent 4 nights here during a birding trip. Would love to come again and stay longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Kate S
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a typical motor-court style motel, which is a neat mix of retro and modern. You can tell the owner clearly loves being an innkeeper and put a lot of thought into the rooms. I don't remember my room number, but it was on the ground floor, near the office. The room had new laminate hardwood flooring, and the bed, desk, and dresser were rustic-style knotty pine, all quite recent. The pine moulding and white beaded board complemented nicely the retro '50s ceiling tiles. The room had a fridge and coffee maker (microwave was available by the ice machine), and a huge wall-mounted LCD TV. The TV could swing out to be visible from the nice leather couch (which had a fold-down cup holder and table), or fold flat to be visible from the bed. The desk had a binder with menus from all local restaurants, as well as guidelines for things to do, which was very thoughtful. I don't think there was air conditioning, but with two windows, a ceiling fan, and lake breezes, I certainly didn't need one.

The bathroom was absolutely outstanding. Clearly a recent renovation, it had a beautiful shower, with large tiles, and a faux-pebble floor, with glass blocks instead of a shower curtain (see picture). The shower head was mounted high up, which was a pleasant change from having to try and wash my hair under a 5 foot shower head. But it did have a removable attachment if you wanted it. Some small shelves with Q-tips and cotton pads, and some nice fluffy towels complemented this nicely.

Because the building is older, the walls and floors are a bit thinner than normal. I did hear the person above me walking around, but I always travel with earplugs, and had a nice sound sleep. I think the motel was about half-full. I could maybe see the noise being a problem if a family with really loud kids was next door, but like I said, I had no problem getting a good night's sleep.

I only stayed one night before taking the ferry, but I could easily spend a nice weekend here in the summer, exploring Fathom Five. One thing to note is that this is a small town, and despite the supermarket saying it was open until 7pm on Sundays, it wasn't. There was one restaurant open, but you may want to plan ahead for food or arrive early.

Room Tip: The second floor might a good choice if you're sensitive to noise. But the person in the office...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jon9769
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We recently spent one night at the Blue Bay Motel in Tobermory. We found our stay comfortable and quiet. We stayed in room 0 which is on the ground floor right at the front corner. I loved having windows on both corners and a lovely little outside sitting area as well. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Unfortunately, we had to ask for a cot because we found the double beds a little small for two adults. I ended up sleeping on the cot which was very uncomfortable. The room itself is fairly small, but very clean and nicely decorated. It is within easy walking distance of all of the shops, restaurants and marina. I would recommend this motel to anyone who visits Tobermory. But please don't ask for that cot! lol

Room Tip: If you like lots of windows and an outside sitting area, choose room 0 on the main floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rca49
Winnipeg Beach, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Saw excellent rating on Tripadvisor so decided to try it. No complaints. Very clean, quiet and well appointed. Bed was extremely comfortable. Spotless. Only complaint would have to be that they still use keys (not a complaint really, only that I am not anymore used to the whole hotel key thing). Was in the ferry line up before I realized I still had the key in my pocket! My fault. Nice place!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Klondike2011
Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at room 16 upper floor. Excellent location. Friendly, attentive staff. Clean and well-maintained rooms. Excellent view (of sunset/sunrise). I'll definitely recommend this motel to anyone who wants to visit Tobermory.

Room Tip: room 16 or upper levels
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 90coolphilip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tobermory
Big Tub Harbour Resort
#12 of 12 in Tobermory
Cedar Vista Motel
Cedar Vista Motel
#7 of 12 in Tobermory

Been to Blue Bay Motel? Share your experiences!