“Do not go here--there are much better places in Tobermory”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tobermory
Bruce Anchor Motel and Cottage Rentals
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Tobermory
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Serious problems.

Impolite desk staff.

We arrived only to find the room reeking of deodorizer.

The wall are thin, and we heard someone in the next room sawing logs all night.

No phone. No restaurant. So what, a free coffee.

Many of the rooms here do not have a view of the water-- you will pay the same rate as others. Although we asked for a room with a view, we did not get one.

We paid $149 a night, which was at least $70 more than it was worth.

Like I said, go elsewhere if it you first time to Tobermory.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TheWanderingCannuck

Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband, mother in law, toddler, baby and I stayed here for three nights. The cottage was lacking and not what the website described. It was missing many amenities that a cottage should offer. The fridge was dirty and needed to be wiped.The kitchen was not well stocked and the front desk was very rude when I asked for a can opener and kettle. The woman "helping" me pointed to a pavillian and told me it may have what I need but not to take anything to the kitchen. There is no dishcloths or handtowels to do dishes with, but a $50 fine if any dishes are left out to dry. There is no bannister on the steep stairs, making it hard and dangerous for my 3 year old to get to the bathroom. Of the three rooms, none had clocks, only two had side table lamps and the single blind in the top room meant a light beaming in the room all night. The top room faced the highway and was noisy. There was no area information or phone book to refer to. From check in to check out none of the front desk staff was polite. We will stay on Tobermory again, but at a quiet B&B, not an overpriced cottage.

• Stayed: August 2012
8  Thank andreaadams
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I wish I had stayed in this family-run motel at the first place than finding another one at Owen Sound, since the location is the best for the departure and arrival back from Flowerpot island. On the day before the boat trip as a guest I was presented and welcomed by the exceptional friendly staff of the motel when I made an urgent request for a washroom to loose my belt. I had never thought of this friendly reception since I was not staying overnight at the hotel but only holding the boat trip ticket of the same company. I was very impressed with the manner and hospitality that is provided by this family-run motel. I would definitely stay at this motel if I come back to visit Tobermony.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a king room with a jacuzzi which was clean, comfortable and suited us perfectly as a good place to say while we explored the area. The location of the motel was right in the heart of Tobermory within walking distance from restaurants, harbour, ferries and the Bruce Trail. The staff at the motel were great - friendly and accomodating. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian B
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Decided to spend an extra $40 to upgrade to a queen water view while my other friends stayed in a std dbl! My room barely saw a sliver of water! Had a portable A/C unit while the other std rooms had an in wall and the room was so musty a dehumidifier had to be on all night!! The Wi-Fi did not work! There were spider webs and spiders on the ceiling and the towels were stained!! Pretty bad for an upgrade-yuck

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Sixxgirly
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We frequent tobermory quite often, and have stayed in the majority of motels in the area - the Bruce Anchor Motel is our personal favorite. The location is decent (especially if you are arriving or departing by ferry), the rooms are clean with working air conditioning, and the staff is great. this motel is not located in the heart of town, but is only a 3 minute walk - which for us, is a definite trade off considering the other places that we have stayed at which were located quite close to the harbourfront. Prices are comparible to the other motels in the area, but room quality is much better.

Room Tip: Western facing corner rooms have a great view of the Georgian Bay sunset.