“Dive with them in Tobermory”
Review of Divers Den

Divers Den
Ranked #1 of 10 Shopping in Tobermory
Collingwood, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Dive with them in Tobermory”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Diving in Tobermory was an awesome experience -- great visibility and cool shipwrecks to explore. We did the Caroline Rose & the Grotto dives with Diver's Den. They met all expectations -- friendly/competent staff, quality equipment, lots of schedule options. Compared to normal "vacation-diving," diving in Tobermory is a bit more DIY -- as in collecting your equipment, bringing it back & forth between the boat and shop, etc.

Also, if you're a newer diver, be aware that no one from Diver's Den actually does the dives with you. This was the first time that we dove without a guide. Lynn had explained all of this to us when I called to make the reservation, so it certainly wasn't a surprise. The person on the boat was clearly an experienced diver, so she gave us site briefings and made sure we were comfortable before we entered the water. Caroline Rose was a super easy dive since as soon as you descend, you can see the shipwreck. With the amazing visibility, the boat & line are always within view. The Grotto required a bit of underwater navigation to find the cave entrance and rock formations. Again, she gave us excellent instructions, but still a new experience for us to be on our own in a new site.

I highly recommend diving in Tobermory and doing it with Diver's Den.

Visited September 2013

Brampton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very friendly, helpful and had an amazing snorkeling experience”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Divers Den is the absolute best...period. I went to this place as a group of 5 people (family & friends) and everyone except me were non-swimmers. They were interested but very very hesitant in trying snorkeling but the staff did a fantastic job explaining how safe it was. They helped us dress up in the suits and even waited for us as it takes 15-20 mins to gear up and we were there just 10 mins before the boat took off. Once on the boat, the captain was very informative along with the snorkeling instructor who calmed everyone down about their fears by explaining the entire process.

Since all members in my group were non-swimmers, they were terrified due to their fears and were clinging onto the boat when they got into the water even though they were floating due to their suits. Looking at this, the instructor actually got into the water at all 3 shipwreck sites and took each one in my group one by one all around the shipwrecks showing them the underwater beauty. He went far beyond his duties to make sure everyone gets the most out of the trip and enjoys the beauty of the shipwrecks. Both the captain and instructor were very patient, friendly and did not rush us even one single bit. The captain did a very nice gesture by giving us cookies and chocolates to eat after each shipwreck to give us a sugar rush as we were a bit tired after swimming around each wreck since we were newbies.

Overall very good experience and would recommend them always.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank A V
Kitchener, Canada
“Best Dive Shop in Tobermory”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went diving with them on Thanksgiving weekend. This was the fourth time diving with them this year. As always regardless of what Captain you get they truly make the experience excellent. . They are well organized and knowledgeable. The Captain even took pictures of some of us getting on and off the boat and emailed them to me. I don't care what that other guy said on the one of these reviews, I loved the Canadian maple cookies at the end of the dive. It was sure a hit with two of the Australians on the dive.

Several years ago at the end of the second dive I accidently knocked my fins overboard. Oh well I thought I needed a new pair anyway. Without asking them several days later I got a call from Diver Den telling me they had found my fins in 50 feet of water and I could pick them up anytime at the shop. Still have them! Thanks Diver Den. I'll be back.

Graham

Visited October 2013
Toronto, Canada
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“A Classic Example of Doing What is BEST for the Business”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This shop gets pretty good reviews so maybe we caught them on an off day. We were expecting to be a part of a dive charter not a snorkelling frenzy. We were the only 3 divers on the charter and the other 19 plus people were all snorkelers so to say the boat was packed was an understatement. We had booked a two tank two site dive and when we got on the boat we were told that there had been a change and that we were now going to do three sites; where we'd get a chance to spend about 20 minutes at the first two and a full dive at the last. Once it became clear to me what was going on I told the dive assistant to tell the Capt that was not what we had paid for and if that was going to be the itinerary then he needed to look at a refund. That did the trick and we are back to getting two full dives on two sites, but we still made the school bus run to the other sites for the snorkelers. Sitting in the hot sun waiting to dive is not my idea of fun.

For my 11 yr old daughter this was her first open water dive following her recent certification. I was also diving with my Son who is 13 and has 3 yrs. of diving exp and about 16 dives. I have to tell you I was a little surprised that Divers Den ran that charter without a dive master. Ok I'm sure the Capt was a dive master but isn't he supposed to be driving the boat? The summer students was very pleasant and had a good degree of exp but he was "working on his dive master rating". I have to tell you I was a little concerned about safety; had there been an issue I'm not sure how well they could of handled it.

Gear...ok so maybe I'm spoiled from diving down south where you get on the boat and your tanks are in place and ready to go but be prepared to lug their tanks back and forth from the shop . It is less than a 100m's but still I'd have thought they would of sorted out some staff to do that?? We were so late getting back from the school bus snorkelers paradise trip that I told them I needed to be back in town and they would need to deal with their tanks. Two kids, three dive bags... again a little proactive customer care might have been a good thing. You know maybe if you'd asked the snorkelers they may not have described waiting at the last two sites while me and my kids sucked down 2500psi of air wasn't what they'd describe as a paradise.

Tips that will help if you are diving with them or the other dive shops - arrive early parking can be a hassle.

Be prepared to lug your gear around but make sure to ask about their carts so you can at least wheel it down to the boat.

Bring snacks as there isn't much on the boat other than a package of cheap cookies passed around at the end. They did have some green candies too but my daughter and son both spit them out and asked "Dad do you think the fish might like these??" We never did find out if the fish liked them but over board they went - yuk!!

I was hoping for a fun family - kid friendly experience but sadly that is not what I found.

Diver's DEn isn't the only game in town so try another shop - that is my best tip!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank KidsTravelNews
London, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Best Dive shop”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We last used Divers den about 35 years ago were happy then. And even happier this time. Organizing ahead with Lynn was simple and accurate. Wet suits and gear rental options all great selection and easy. Tank refills easy and smooth. Boat dives well organized and on time,history of dive location good. Staff all helpfull. Won't consider any other options next time. The Laura J, has a noisy motor and a muffler would make for a little more pleasant trip but may just be the nature of the tugs/boats in use

Visited August 2013