Cinnamon Island Resort - Maldives (February 2008)
We have just returned from a near perfect holiday!
I read some mixed reviews beforehand and therefore thought I would like to let any potential visitors know about our experience.
It was a long journey (especially for just 1 week) but well worth it. We flew Monarch which should be avoided if at all possible.
We flew Gatwick to Male, then had a 2 hr wait at the domestic airport for a small island hopper plane to take us to Hanimaadoo (50 min flight). We were then picked up by a luxury speed boat to take us to our resort.
We had booked a beach villa but found on arrival that we had been allocated an Ocean villa (on stilts in the sea). The villa was wonderful & beautifully furnished. It seems that some people do not like being in these villas as you can hear the sea beneath you and can feel rather exposed. We however loved it - especially feeding the tropical fish that swim past all the time & looking out over the open sea. I was a little worried about the open air bathroom downstairs but again it was perfect.
The "Village" restaurant was OK ( The food at Veligandu was better ) but there was enough choice to always be able to find something we liked. We ate once at the poolside A La carte restaurant called "Waves" & the food there was excellent. We were on an all inclusive basis & this meant we got a 25% discount on the set menu at Waves.
The staff on the island were fantastic in every way. The restaurant waiters, the Bliss cocktail bar staff, our butler ..... they
were all very friendly & couldn't do enough for you. We were happy to tip each one of them well at the end of our stay as they all deserved it. Our butler (Lalithe) even accompanied us on the speed boat on the return journey!
My only complaint of the island was the beach & the fact that without good sea defences, the water on one side of the island could be quite rough. Again, I am comparing this to other islands I have vistied (Veligandu & Villamendhoo) which were
serenely calm. They did however run a twice daily Dhoni trip to a
remote sandbank island for swimming, & although this was qite surreal, we didn't want to do it more than once., We settled
for the pool on most days.
Would I go again? It was a perfect holiday & I would certainly recommend it but I would probably choose the experience of a different island for each visit.
Tips: If you are into snorkelling - Villamendhoo has a much better house reef which you can walk out to from the beach.
Board basis: I was glad we opted for All inclusive - which covers all meals in the Vllage restaurant & all soft drinks & most spirits. If you want cocktails / wines to be included, you should find out about the Premium All inclusive deal.
If you book to go, I will be jealous!!!!!.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As you take your first step towards an unforgettable experience let us escort you to your very own personalized hideaway. Lose yourself in intimate luxury and choose and illuminating experience as we offer you to unwind yourself in harmony. All our rooms are located in the beach front or in the ocean waters. The island boasts of 45 Beach Villas, 7 Duplex Beach Villas, 46 Ocean Villas and 1 Presidential suite. The villas are designed by magnificent architectural craftsmanship symbolizing a harmonious delight for Him & for Her. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your J Resorts Alidhoo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- j Resorts Alidhoo Hotel Haa Aliff Atoll
- Cinnamon Island Alidhoo Hotel
- Cinnamon Island Alidhoo Resort