“A few signs of deterioration”
Review of Club Med Napitia

Club Med Napitia
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Pizzo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Second visit to this village at exactly the same time of year. It's still good, very good, but Club Med used to be excellent at the all inclusive holiday (they were the pioneers) and now I can see signs of cost saving.
Firstly the bar staff were under so much pressure and complained to us that they just didn't have enough staff to manage. On more than one occasion non bar staff had to come and help out.
The food although plentiful and highly enjoyable was not quite up to the same standard as Club Med used to be. This did not affect our holiday at all- it was just something I noticed.

Our hotel room was clean and a good size but there weren't enough useable hangers in the wardrobe- just a minor irritation but nevertheless noticed. It was also noisy- high heels from upstairs clattering around and babies crying.

In the old days Club Med would have a few current films broadcast through a special channel on the TV- they've gone too. Again, it didn't affect our holiday, but noticed just the same.

All in all we had a lovely time but it just doesn't feel like an upmarket holiday anymore. And this shows in some of the clientele too.

Sorry Club Med but you used to be so much better.

Room Tip: Very noisy rooms located on the border with next hotel- we could never sleep before midnight due to...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ethy12

Reviewed June 12, 2013

.After a great week in Sep we all returned at the end of May.The weather was warm but a bit windy but much better than UK. Had a fantastic week once again. All of the staff were so friendly and very helpful and had lots of fun. We flew from Lon City Airport and it was Stress free.Lots more English people this time which made a change at any Club Med that we have visited. The kids enjoyed the nightly shows but the Adults chose the BAR!!!The food was good but we missed the Italian not being open as the Club was not full! The upside was no waiting at the bar for drinks,the sunbeds were still available after 10am around the pool and if you got to the beach after 9.30am you could still get a sunbed. Hammocks in the forest were nice and relaxing and were always available. Would definetely return again for the May Half-term

Reviewed June 9, 2013

A return visit for us and another fantastic week. English family of 5 with 3 children 2 in mini club and one in petit club. We all had a wonderful holiday. Club itself is clean and well kept, the GO's were all lovely and friendly. Food very good. We stayed in a family bungalow this year - We were further away from the hub last year and I was worried it would be too noisy but it wasn't at all. The whole place is very carefully designed so no problems with loud music etc. Evening shows were entertaining and enjoyed by all of us, particularly the toddler - the kids slept brilliantly and total bliss of a proper holiday we had to wake them each morning for breakfast so we felt properly rested. (Unlike the other 51 weeks of the year!) Petit Club was great with a special mention for the fantastic Luigi who our 2 yr old loved, he was so friendly and engaging and made him feel very secure and also a mention for Giovanni in Mini Club who our 2 older kids loved - very friendly and good fun. The GO's all seemed to speak better English this year. Pools lovely - we stuck with the one further from the bar as it is better for toddlers, beach lovely, hammocks great, rooms very clean and tidy/ cleaned daily to good standard. Shower was amazing! Chef de village very friendly and amusing in the shows, kids still chatting about his performances. Thoroughly recommended, already looking forward to next year.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

This is our second time in club med napitia ( last time was 3 years ago) and if we could we would have extended our holiday for a few more days!
Staff is AMAZING, fantastic food, rooms and the club are so clean.
The kids club GO just amazing, always smiling, daniel the chef de vilage so caring and answering every question, you can always see him arround taking care of things in the vilage. For those who LOVE pools, sea, great food and atmosphire, with lots of activities offered, this is the place for you! We had the best time ever! RECOMMENDED!!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Familylondonuk
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Evening show goes on till 11pm with shouting on microphones that emanates throughout your bedroom. Then to top it off there's a nightclub afterwards.

I love to party, am only late 30s and going dancing all the time, but only when I know my kids 7 & 5 are asleep and not going to be grumpy and tired the next day. Unfortunately this is not a place to go with young kids who need their sleep.

Otherwise it's a nice resort. But personally I love my kids and don't want to inflict this kind of tiredness on them again.

I met a girl who is a consultant who works with Club Med in England, where they were trying to work out why they're UK uptake of Club Med had dropped off so much. Personally I think it's cause English people who have families want a rest on holiday and want the same for their children. Club Med thinks of the parents fun not the children's well being, whereas Mark Warner (a better holiday) thinks the other way around and a happy, easy, child keeps the parent happy and relaxed. Mark Warner has all the fun without the screaming show till 11pm and then the nightclub till 1am, booming into your kids room!

Another tip. Book your own flights via Ryanair. The Club Med cost for a family of 4 would have been £4500 all in. Without their transport the cost of the resort was only £1600. With Ryanair flights we saved £2000.

Room Tip: Ask for as far away from the Theatre as possible.
4  Thank Cove2
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Just back from an early summer break at Napitia.
Standard Club Med formula, with very good food, adequate wine, excellent Peroni on tap, prosecco at the bar. First class barista's. excellent swimming pools. Beautiful forest, wild deserted sandy beach & excellent beach bar / restaurant.
Very little english spoken, so brush up on your "bonjours" & "boungiorno's" before you go, you will get much better service.
All in all excellent value for money

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank laurencemitchell
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I spent 10 days at the resort in July/August 2012. I specifically booked ClubMed for the children's facilities. I have four children, 6, 6, 8 and 12 at the time. I speak good conversational French, but my children don't. I actually chose this resort and ClubMed for the fantastic Tripadvisor reviews I had read. However, I don't think the reviews reflected my experience, which is why I am posting this review. I have been to ClubMed a few times before, but not in Europe. This was a totally different kettle of fish, which I was not expecting.

Positives:
I thought the resort as a whole was lovely and the food good. Rooms a bit tired, including mouldy bathroom, but I didn't care about this at all, as we only slept and changed there. Any problems were resolved immediately (the showerhead wouldn't hang up and was repaired same day).
Some very talented GOs doing the shows/entertainment. Gianni, the chef du village, did a daily tour of the entire complex, greeting his guests, answering questions etc and he was very visible - however he never really spoke to us as we were not French/Italian. But from what I saw he was a committed manager completely in control and very affable. I found his sidekick, a Moroccan GO who never left his side and was clearly very ambitious, a little creepy though.
Entertainment: The shows and other entertainment were good, all in French/Italian, but the children enjoyed watching them anyway. Three of my four didn't want to join in with the weekly children's show, which was a bit disappointing! It is a credit to the GOs that we mostly understood what was going on even if we couldn't understand what they were saying! The shows were on a little late - by the time they finished and I put the children to bed, it was too late for me to go back out for another drink, which I would have liked sometimes.
Patrizio the water aerobics instructor was the highlight of the stay. He was an absolute scream and I hope ClubMed recognises his value.
The on site doctor was lovely - he looked like Richard Chamberlain from the Thorn Birds! It was great to have an on site medical facility, even though it had limited opening hours.

Negatives:
Language barrier: I have been to ClubMed before, but not in Europe. I had not realised that there would be so little English spoken. Maybe this was my fault for not doing my research properly. There just seemed to be no effort to cater for any guests who didn't speak Italian or French. We just ended up keeping ourselves to ourselves, and I had hoped for a more sociable holiday for both me and the children. There was one day when there was a massive thunderstorm all day and the GOs and manager made a big effort to put on lots of different things, but all announcements were made in French/Italian and my French wasn't good enough to follow them. I think we missed out on a lot during the holiday because we had no idea what was going on - many days at the pool there was stuff going on that looked quite fun but I had no idea at all what it was and before I had a chance to work it out, it finished... I know other English speaking families that we met felt the same (there was a Polish family who found it a big issue, in fact they called their holiday short, there were a lot of Israelis that week who found it hard work, and a couple of English families we met).
Kids Clubs: Sadly, the younger children (6, 6 and 8) took against the kids club as the staff didn't really speak English and my kids couldn't speak French. On the first morning my 6 year old was very unhappy because he is an extremely sociable child but he couldn't communicate with anyone. His twin was fine as she didn't care about the language barrier because she is so easy going, and anyway she found an English speaking friend (which probably made things worse for my son). When I picked them up for lunch I was approached as I was signing him out and told "your son is very difficult". I complained and to be fair, the supervisor was very angry about the whole thing and very apologetic and sympathetic. We had a frank discussion - I felt that perhaps I should have been asked "your son wasn't happy this morning, what can we do to make it more enjoyable for him?". I actually found it very upsetting that this happened on my first day. The supervisor (Tahir) and another GO (Ita) made a real effort for the rest of our holiday to help the kids settle in, but it just wasn't happening because the real problem was the language barrier. It just made them not want to go and there were loads of things they would have enjoyed and which they missed out on. That aside, I think the clubs were good and the GOs seemed very nice and had good interraction with the children. The club for my 12 year old was run by a really lovely GO who spoke good English, but my daughter didn't really want to go as she just found the language barrier awkward and felt left out of the conversations the other girls were having. So we really spent the whole week in the pool - which was fine and the pool was lovely (but see comments below about the tiles), but at the end of the day this was not the holiday I had planned or foreseen. I did persuade the three younger children most days to do at least one hour's activity in the club (one loved the archery and another the nature walks), and this gave me a small break each day, and this worked for us, but I would have loved them to want to spend more time in the clubs and socialising with other children, and this was a major reason for having chosen such an expensive holiday. I am not one of those people who expects everyone else to speak English, nor did I want to offload my kids for the entire duration, but I was disappointed by the problems my children had and the fact that they could not enjoy the ClubMed experience.
Pool maintenance: quite a few of the non slip tiles around the pool had been replaced with tiles that were not non-slip. This was quite a hazard. In particular there was a patch next to the step down to the sunbathing area, where it was very easy to slip and it is a miracle none of my kids had a serious accident. Other than that, it was a great pool and I never had a problem with finding enough sun loungers in a suitable spot. I also though the pool was VERY light on lifeguards and had to keep a constant watch on my younger children. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't want to have to watch my kids or spend time with them, but I was kind of hoping for some me time too, which I didn't get because of the problems with the kids club.
Arrival day: we arrived late afternoon after a long day's travelling, but the place that gives out the pool towels was shut. We all really wanted to swim. I went back and forth to reception trying to resolve this. In the end I said we were going to use our bathroom towels and could they be replaced, and this was agreed and was no problem (but why did the suggestion have to come from me after an hour of trying to find some pool towels?).
Info: ClubMed tends to be populated by "regulars". We felt a bit clueless. There wasn't much information in the rooms and I think we probably missed out on activities/facilities that we didn't know about. The system for check out was a particular mystery to me. I went to reception to ask about it. They asked me what colour I was (they use a colour coded system for letting you know what time and where you should put out your luggage etc). I had no idea. I have no idea how I was supposed to work it out . Possibly osmosis. Possibly it had been announced in Italian or French at some stage during the week and I had missed it. When we had worked out the colour, everything went smoothly and at a small cost I was able to arrange a room to shower in because we left late afternoon but had to be out of our room by 12.

Top marks to Tahir and Ita in the children's club who bent over backwards to help my kids, Patrizio in the pool, Alessandro in the bar, Alex the Irish student who worked in the children's club for the younger children and the guy who taught the children's archery. Wish I'd met Alex sooner as he gave me a load of tips for making the most out of the holiday. I also thought the lady in the spa was lovely.

Tip: take a blow up pool toy for your kids, otherwise you end up buying one in the shop for 25 Euros! And write your name on it - some Italian kid asked if he could borrow ours then disappeared with it. When I went to try to find him later, he said it was his and so did his father.....
Also: my 8 year old turns out to be allergic to brazil nuts so he has an epipen. The kids club won't take children who need an epipen. Even though his allergy was food related and I said I would collect him every lunch time (I wanted to eat with my kids). You do not need to have any medical experience to use an epipen. They are not uncommon. This is in the small print, but I had not appreciated it. As it was a food allergy, we agreed that he would go to club, but they would not be responsible for his epipen if anything went wrong (I was happy with this as it's only brazil nuts anyway and he was so unlikely to eat one that I didn't feel this was a risk).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Loadsofkids_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pizzo
Piccolo Grand Hotel
#2 of 2 in Acconia
Pizzo Calabro resort
Pizzo Calabro resort
#4 of 10 in Pizzo

Been to Club Med Napitia? Share your experiences!