“Definitely do while in Pizzo!”

La Dolce Vita Pizzo - Pizzo Tours
Ranked #7 of 20 things to do in Pizzo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: See the Secret Pizzo tourists don't usually see... our unique Guided Tours are enjoyable, entertaining and informative. Explore the real Pizzo with a knowledgeable and experienced guide. Hear the stories and understand the sights of Pizzo: Cave Church, Tartufo ice cream, Castle, Food & Wine Tasting, Cooking, Medieval Old Town & more. Small private groups. Cost: from €10 pp. See website for details.
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was fortunate enough to come across Anna's website on the internet; www.dolcevitapizzo.co.uk and am very pleased that I took one of her Pizzo tours. I knew little of Pizzo's history and found the tour hugely interesting, it has given me a real grounding and historical understanding of this wonderful little town where I intend to spend a lot more time in the future. The tour was most enjoyable, informative and wonderfully conveyed by Anna. I did the tour on a cool December day but can honestly say I hardly noticed the cold as Anna had me thoroughly engaged, completely holding my interest all the way through.
She gave us lots of fascinating facts and details about the ancient architecture and culture through the centuries, many of the architectural features which Anna pointed out I had preciously walked straight past!
Anna was happy to answer any questions we had and took time with us to explain things of significance. This tour is not just for history buffs but for anyone visiting Pizzo as the history really is so interesting and the tour makes for a very pleasant and well spent hour or two while in Pizzo. I would definitely recommend!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I heard about Pizzo Holidays Tours from a research on the Internet. I am Italian and my hometowns is nearby Pizzo. When some friends of mine from abroad decided to join me and my partner for our wedding in Calabria I wished to bring them to Pizzo. Incredibly, the only website full of information was an English one: http://www.dolcevitapizzo.co.uk/ a free on line complete guide. I contacted Anna, the creator, and she immediately started to help me to make arrangements for our stay in Pizzo. She suggested us an enchanting B&B and made contacts with the owner. We also booked the "Secret Pizzo Tour" during which she gave us an in-depth view of the medieval part of the town, which I did not know although I lived very close to Pizzo for years. My friends, my husband and I really enjoyed our stay in Pizzo: all of this thanks to Anna and her job. I sincerely recommend her as the right person to explore Pizzo with. She is simply great!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

My partner and I did 3 of Anna's tours. The Secret Pizzo tour was really interesting. Anna took us through the medieval streets and explained how the people lived, the architecture and also the history of Pizzo including Murat and the castle. It really made us appreciate Pizzo and understand its history. Visiting the cave church with Anna made the experience so much more enjoyable knowing how it was made and the stories behind it. We didn't feel rushed at all, having plenty of time to explore and take photos. We also did the Sweet Pizzo tour - it was exciting seeing the Tartufo being made, and the included Tartufo was amazing! Highly recommended - Anna is a very passionate and friendly guide. She knows so much about Pizzo and was really happy to answer all our questions. These tours have made our Pizzo stay really memorable!

2  Thank Salme G G
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was my third visit to Pizzo but my first tour with Anna. If you are visiting Pizzo, don't make the same mistake as me. Instead, book a tour with Anna for your first visit! We started by visiting the Piedigrotta, a place which I had only previously seen on postcards. It was a fascinating place to see, but what really made it special was Anna's knowledge of the history of the church and how it came about. My whole experience of visting the caves was hugely enhanced by Anna's descriptions of the various statues and scenes inside. This was followed by a trip to Chez Toi to see tartufo being made and, even better, tasting the real thing! The tour finished up at the Castle, where again it was Anna's background knowledge and personal research which made the visit to the Castle so interesting and worthwhile.

Anna's tour is unique in that it provides all the interesting stories, facts and information about Pizzo that you could wish to know.. Moreover, much of this is information is not easily accessible from either guide books or the internet so Anna's tour is essential to anyone with an interest in the history of Pizzo. Don't miss it!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We own a property in the area but my mum and I wanted to know more about this magical little town that I had visited before but it was a first for my mum. We were so delighted to have found Anna's website as her tour and her company was indeed excellent. We originally opted to just see the cave church but then Anna added a longer tour to her website that included the castle and the tartufo making experience as well and for such a reasonable price. She arranged everything from start to finish including the novel ride on the 'ape' open taxi back up to the square after the church visit. If we had visited the cave church without Anna, we would have failed to appreciate its history and charms. It's an amazing, magical and spiritual place that really moved us both. Anna has a quiet and unassuming way of imparting her knowledge of the area that immediately puts you at ease. Seeing tartufo made by Maurino in Chez Toi was the icing on the cake and to then sample it first hand was devine! The castle tour was also really interesting and again, was effortlessly brought to life by Anna. She also arranged for us to sample a wonderful lunch in a local deli/restaurant in the square that we would never have stumbled upon ourselves and the food and service was wonderful. I would not hesitate to book another tour with Anna and would urge all visitors to book up and find out more about this magical part of Calabria which really is a hidden gem!