My first time in Maldives. I booked online - many options not explained so I ended up taking longer than necessary to check in as the check in person tried to explain to me the difference between Platinum all inclusive, gold, etc. Superior beach bungalows are fine - big enough, comfortable and pretty much private - direct access to beach. Buffet at lunch and dinner was OK - nothing special and prone to the feeding mentality of all inclusive guests. House wine is expensive and bad. The "pay extra" restaurants were better and the wine was better by the bottle. Surprisingly limited sea food selection this being an island nation where gazing intot he water you just see schools and schools of fish,, every day, all day.
Best part of the trip is the dive center Oceanus. Very professional, great trips every day. Saw lots of sea creatures - turtles, rays, snapper, sharks, moray eels with the notable exception of the elusive whale shark which is the reason I selected this place. There were a few sightings during the week though so probably bad luck for me.
Also a really cool tree where huge fruit bats hang out during the day...
Pretty much everything you pay extra for even if you are on full board.
I also had three or four types of Indian massages and other spa treatments. Excellent though not inexpensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sun Island measuring about 1.6 km in length and around 380 meters in width has 350 elegantly furnished guestrooms, including 72 water bungalows, out of which, 4 are Presidential Suites, 218 Super Deluxe Beach Bungalows and 60 Deluxe Beach Bungalows. All Deluxe and Super Deluxe Beach Bungalows are built on the beach ensuring a direct view of the shore and sea. All Water Bungalows are built on stilts in the lagoon overlooking the vast horizon of either the sunrise or sunset view, from your private deck. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Sun Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Island Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Sun Island Resort Maldives
- Sun Island Maldives
- Hotel Sun Island