“Still the same...”

Filitheyo Island Resort
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I was curious how much the resort has changed since my first stay here years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I decided to come back.

I stayed in the superior room near exit 5. The room's amenities provided is still the same; makings for tea/coffee, hairdryer, mini fridge with drinks and snacks, mosquito coils, insecticide spray, miniature supply of shampoo, conditioner and body wash, a/c, overhead fan, safe, and an old style TV with several English channels. The shower is open to the elements but the toilet is located in an enclosed space with door and lock next to the sink area. The closet and luggage rack is out in the bathroom also, but you don't need to keep your luggage here if you don't want to. If you need a bathtub, you need to upgrade to the deluxe bungalows. The water in a big clay jug by the veranda steps is to wash the sands off your feet. Each room has 2 assigned wooden lounge chairs. If by chance you came back to your spot and your lounge chair has been dragged off and being used by your neighbor, just smilingly let them know. No harm done.

As for the size of the beach in front of the bungalows, it depends on the season but if you want a fair amount of sand in front of your room, I suggest booking the deluxe bungalows on the other side of the island.

Snorkeling is as good as everyone has posted here. It's not possible to snorkel around the island though as there is a bit of current past exit 7. Snorkeling gear and floats can be rented from the Dive Center. Bringing your own gear would be a lot better if staying more than a few days because of the cost but importantly the fit of the mask.

The Dive Center is run by Werner Lau, a German company. They are very professional, a tad strict for some divers, but not a big problem. I've used their service here and at other resorts. To get a discount on their dive packages, check their website.

Food. Even though the head chef has changed, the food selection, taste and quality is still very good. I'm not sure about the stomach problems experienced by a few guests posted here. On my previous visit , I stayed for 20 nights and on this trip, I stayed for 18 nights and not once I had any problems after eating the food. I do avoid eating any raw salad with mayonaise especially in a tropical country as a precaution no matter the resort/hotel's rating. I also ate the sashimi here, whenever it was offered.

I did hear from the kitchen supervisor that the head chef would be introducing a new set of meals gradually in the near future. Another thing, this is a casual resort, so no need for the fancy dinner get up. As long as you're decently garbed , you're good.

The spa is very nice located somewhat in the middle of the island. The ladies, mostly hailed from Bali, are very nice and accommodating. The masseuse will walk you to your assigned a/c bungalow so lack of privacy is not an issue. There is a shower outside for your own use afterwards to wash off the oil. At the time, the price was 90USD for 90 minute massage plus the 15 minute bonus massage of any chosen body part.

Since this is a family resort, there are children here and most can be found hanging out by the pool during the day. During mealtimes, one or two would be crying or screaming, but that's expected of children. I find their antics amusing and entertaining.

The staff here provides very good to excellent service then and now. I did have one little bump at the beginning of my stay. The young waiter assigned to my table was always late to a point that for several mornings, I would see him arrive after I was almost finished with my breakfast. After talking to restaurant supervisor, it was explained to me that aside from the young waiter being new, he also happened to be assigned to wake up early to serve guests departing at sunrise. I suggested that given the situation , it would be better for both the young waiter and I , if I was assigned another waiter.

The only thing that really marred this trip was the rat problem on the last 3 nights here. Yes, there are rats on the island. I saw a couple of big ones walking along the bathroom wall up to the rafters that morning. I usually leave my bathroom door open during the day and didn't think those things would go in my room but one did . My room boy tried to find the bugger during the day but to no avail. He did tell me that it was probably gone as he even left the cats in my room for an hour and the cats didn't react. Well, that night, I left my regulator on the table. When I was packing my gear on my last day, I saw the mouthpiece of my regulator partially chewed off. I reported this to the management, I was assured that they would compensate for the damage. I even talked to the owner who was there when I left that morning. To make it short, I got nothing but empty words. The cost of a new mouthpiece is minimal, but it's the principle. Management didn't make good on their promise.

I won't be coming back to this resort because of that and the fact there are plenty more island resorts in Maldives to visit. The island is still wonderful to visit, but just be warned that those rats do exist here because of the abundant food and places to live.

I can't say anything about the water bungalows as I haven't stayed in one nor even walked (too much effort) that long pier to see them up close.

On a side note, most guests here are from Europe, a handful from Asia and Russia. As most good package deals originate from these parts of the world, it would be good for Americans to check the travel agencies that cater to these places. In my case, it was a better deal to arrange everything myself as the few packages offered from the US are short stay and limited choice of resorts. Americans on the east coast can get to the Maldives via Europe and from the west coast via HKG, SIN or KL.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank parrotfish07
There are newer reviews for Filitheyo Island Resort

Reviewed February 22, 2012

I'm not sure if it is possible to imagine how beautiful this part of the world is unless you experience it first hand. The resort is fantastic, no cars, no roads just white sand under your bare feet and between your toes. The water is a colour I've never seen before with beautiful colourful fish where ever you look, great for snorkling. Food is fantastic, really fresh tasty and a different thyme every night. The island is immaculate due to the constant hard work of the staff for which they should be praised, sweeping the sand and pruning the trees to keep nature in peak condition. Truly a wonderful paradise to spend some time away from the world.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EverettIreland
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was my idea of paradise and thats basically because the staff at this resort work really hard to make sure that it is perfect. We chose to upgrade to the second level accommodation and that was a good decision. Our bungalow had its own little area of beach which was pristine and the bungalow itself was of a good size and very comfortable, clean and tidy. Even the sand in the outdoor area of the bathroom was changed twice during our stay!!
The dive centre was great and the staff there were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Good equipment standard and the house reefs and open water dives were awesome.
I took my diving certificate and can't think that there is anywhere better to learn. It was totally exhilerating with so much to see. Has to be better than learing in a pool:)
We also took a night fishing trip which was very well run and good fun. The only complaint was that my husband insisted we ate the Very Large fish he caught for our dinner. It was delicious, but it was far too much ;)
The food was excellent and the service always good. There was a huge amount of freshly cooked food to choose from every day. We were half board and never felt the need for lunch, ever.
I wouldn't hesitate to go back, but can't help wonder if any of the other Maldivian resorts are as good and if I should try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Definitley worth upgrading if you can stretch to the better bungalows.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brodibunch
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We had a very good time as usual like previous times. The island is beautiful and the snorkeling was amazing- the housereef was excellent. Especially the deluxe bungalow and the room boy was very nice, he cleaned it very well two times a day. The whole staff and the management was great, specially the Front Office Manager Shariz is a very polite person and he is very caring for the guests.He handles any situation very well. The Spa was wonderful- the food fantastic ! We will return again for sure- it was our 5th time on Filitheyo.Bye -bye until the next time !!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Whaleshark-Sandy
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Just back from Filitheyo after a wonderful week for our honeymoon in January. It was magical holiday set in a beautiful location and we have so many amazing memories from our stay. If you are used to the formality of 5-star resorts and that little extra level of service, this probably isn’t the place for you. But, the informal and friendly ambience of the resort means that it isn’t stuffy and is just peaceful and relaxing which is what you going for. The house reef is a real plus. Value for money, it could be better but for a one-off....

ARRIVAL / DEPARTURE: we were slightly worried by other reviewers comments, who highlighted long transfer times and a less than personal service. Upon arrival at ‘Filitheyo International Airport’ we were greeted by a resort representative and transferred to the island. We were then given a cool towel and fruit juice, an introduction to the resort and our keys – very quick no fuss. Departure seemed equally smooth. We were given full instructions the day before departure and all seemed very well organised and smoothly run.

ROOMS: we stayed in one of the Deluxe Bungalows on the north side of the island. The room was very comfortable and quipped with just about everything we needed including kettle and hair dryer. The outside shower was a real treat complete with chirping from the host lizards! The electricity supply is UK-style 3 pin 240V supply, but adapters were available in the room and from reception. The room was serviced twice a day to a good standard by our friendly room attendant.
The Water Villas looked very nice, but seemed a bit out on a limb being on the opposite side of the island to the Main Restaurant. Also, bungalows with room numbers over 101 on the eastern side of the island appeared a little run-down and more noisy being close to the staff quarters. Mosquitos were unfortunately a bit of an issue even during the dry season. The resort was regularly fumigated during our stay, and our Room Attendant recommended that we kept all outside doors shut – worth taking an insect repellent for those romantic evening strolls!

FOOD: we opted for the full board option with all food from the main restaurant included but no drinks. Whilst not 5-star dining, the food was excellent offering a range of tasty international dishes which would keep even the fussiest happy. The restaurant offered a self-service buffet with several dishes cooked to order – at times there was a bit of wait for this, but at least you know the food is fresh! During the course of our week, we spent about $180 on drinks – mainly soft drinks, water and the odd smoothie. This worked out cheaper than if we had been on the All Inclusive option which had some notable restrictions (e.g. wind and spirits not included; time restrictions). We didn’t eat at the á la carte Sunset Bar / Restaurant but as others have commented, the resort have missed a bit of trick by not discounting those on Full Board and All Inclusive options – as such, it was never very busy. Drinks at the Main Bar weren’t cheap but did seem reasonable.

ACTIVITIES: there were lots of activities to do ranging from fishing, snorkelling and scuba-diving trips to hiring kayaks and sailing boats. We were content with snorkelling around the excellent house reef. We brought our own masks and snorkels and hired fins for about $40 each which represented good value for money. Snorkelling was excellent with good access for beginners via exits 6 and 7. However, the current at times was quite strong. The staff at the dive centre were very friendly and happy to pass on tips and advice.

FACILITIES: the resort also has an on-site doctor, library, gym and board games to use. Two gift shops are also present which possess a rather limited and expensive stock including toiletries and batteries.

SERVICE: on the whole we were very impressed with quality and non-intrusive nature of service provided by the resort. In particular, our Room Attendant and Waiter were very helpful and friendly and took real pride in their job and the service they were offering. Some of the little personal touches – you’ll have to wait and find these out for yourself, really added so much to the holiday. On the negative side the issue of ‘tipping’ is a little awkward. This appears to be expected (on top of a standard service tax applied to everything), and whilst we were more happy to do this for our Room Attendant and Waiter who were both superb throughout our week, we were reluctant to offer a tip to the porters. During both ‘arrival’ and ‘departure’ we found the porters to be somewhat heavy-handed and unwilling to engage in any form of conversation, we thus felt unwilling to give a tip for someone who was simply doing their job to which we were given strong glares which made us both feel very uncomfortable.

TIPS: (1) whilst most watch sunset from the aptly named Sunset Bar, we found the view and general ambience at the Main Bar even better; (2) good night fish watching from the main landing stage which has down-lighting; (3) definitely worth taking all the toiletries you think you’ll need with you – very expensive from the gift shop; (4) the smoothies are excellent; (5) we found the Full Board option the best value for money even though we bought our own drinks; (6) the UV can be really intense even when it is cloudy so worth taking plenty of sun cream with you.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the east of the island (101+) - no access to sea, nosiy
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Jon_Nott_UK
Reviewed January 13, 2012

What can I say....It was paradise! I stayed 4 nights on the beach cabins and it was extremely peaceful and beautiful beach. I got up at 5am and walked along the beach, i got to see a beautiful sunrise and seashells. We had a huge tree by our cabin and there was these huge bats that eat the fruits on the tree and they are very entertaining to watch them. The beach cabin is amazing, the shower and bathroom is outside, so you get to shower in the sun every morning. After the beach cabin, I stayed 7 days in a water hut and they were also amazing. If you are a light sleeper like me, I dont suggest a water hut because the waves hitting the water hut kept me up at night even when i had ear plugs. The best part of the water hut is that you get to see the most beautiful sunrise and sunset and you also get to walk out right into the water for snorkeling. The water is crystal blue and you get to see Tiger fishes, sting rays and small sharks around your water hut.
The staff @ Filitheyo are amazing, if you take the time to talk to them, they will give you special treatment and you will love them. We rented a small island for the day, its called
the " Honeymoon Island ". Well, it was a dream! imagine this, your own private island for the day, they drop you off with a bottle of wine, some shrimps, cake and soft drink @ 8:30 and they pick you back up @ 2am. It only cost $120 per person but its a must do!
Snorkeling is beyond amazing,they take you to different locations that are beyond your own imagination. Night fishing is also fun, if you catch a fish they cook it for you and serve it to your room or wherever you want to eat it. My husband caught a Red Snapper and we asked them to fry it and cook it in curry, i think it was the best fish i ever had!
The food is excellent on the island, we had a great waiter as well and entertained us very well during our stay.
So i definitely recommend Filitheyo and you will enjoy the small water taxi you take to arrive at the island. Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mel H
KevinTheseira, General Manager at Filitheyo Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Just a little thank you for staying with us on Filitheyo Island Resort. It was our pleasure to have you with us and we thank you for your unbiased comments made with regards to our resort. Again thank you and if the opportunity avails, it would be our pleasure to have you visit us once again. Thank you.

Area General Manager

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We have never been to the Maldives before, but Filitheyo lived up to every expectation and beyond. I was slightly nervous after reading reviews on Tripadvisor, but I have to say that our trip was amazing - especially in terms of value for money within the maldives.

We stayed in the Superior Double, a semi-detached bungalow on the beach, very simple rooms, exceptionally clean and with everything you need. The bathrooms are fabulous, the openair shower is a real wow. Our houseboy was lovely, keen to chat about the cricket and our stay, and would always be sure that we were out when he was in the room - even if it meant waiting a while when we were getting ready for dinner.

The food was absolutely brilliant - I was slightly concerned that it might not be that great after reading some reviews. There is so much variety and choice, that I believe there is always something for every taste unless you are looking for fast food - we did not see a burger, chip or fried chicken all week - but there was plenty of everything else all freshly cooked and very tasty!

The snorkelling is brilliant and there are lots of other activities to keep you busy, although a good book is definitely reccommended to help fill the lazy days.

The only negative about this trip was the Seaplane transfer. We waited for 5 hours in the lounge for our plane. This was partly due to bad luck, the plane leaving for Filitheyo was full when we arrived and the next one wasn't due for 3 hours, we were then subject to a further 2 hour delay due to mechanical failure. Likewise on the return, we had to do a drop-off which meant that we had to race through Male airport in order to catch our flight. It was particularly disappointing due to the cost of these flights and the fact that no warning was given by our travel agent. Makesure you enquire about transfer details when you book.

Despite the seaplane disappointment we would definitely recommend Filitheyo for anybody looking to spend time in paradise!

Room Tip: Ask for a room between 1 and 76!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheNesspot

Dear Sir/Madam,
It was indeed pleasant to read about your comments on trip adviser concerning your views on Filitheyo. We are indeed glad that you had a great time with us and found our food and services to be satisfactory. We do however apologize for the long waiting time for the Air Taxi and the cause to rush in order to catch your international flight. Thank you for being our guests and we hope to have the opportunity of having you as our guest once again in the near future.

Area General Manager

#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island
Angsana Velavaru
Angsana Velavaru
#1 of 1 in Haa Dhaalu Atoll

Been to Filitheyo Island Resort? Share your experiences!