“Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hakura Club Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hakuraa Island
Hakura Club Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hakuraa Island
London
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2008

We went for our honeymoon and this Island is just AMAZING.
We were a bit concerned about flying woth monarch after reading some reviwes but our travel couldn't have been smoother.
From the moment we arrived we felt relaxed and refreshed. The staff were all so helpful - our bed was made with flowers one evening which was lovely. The whole Island is so clean and tidy and we could not fault any thing the whole time we were there.

The food was fab, lots of choice . Mongolian night was our best but all the food was so tasty and fresh. You have your own waiter for the whole time you are there, our waiter was Magi and he was really good.

The rooms are very spacious and are cleaned 2 times per day, the only thing i would say is that the bathroom could do with updating but other than that the room was lovely.

The evening entertainment was good ranging from disco to crab racing. The crab racing was so much fun - we came 3rd one night and won a bottle of wine. They can't give out cash as prizes so all prizes are some sort of drink.

All in all, this is a fabulous Island and we will definitely be going back.

• Liked — The view from our room - walkign straight into the sea was amazing
  • Disliked — Everything was brilliant
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly_MarieLondon

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2007

Hakura hurra – formally chaaya lagoon.

Sitting at work on a gloomy day I jumped in the deep end and booked a holiday to the Maldives on a travel agent website. What? I was miserable and it was raining! (This was the reasoning for spending £3000 I gave to my long suffering boyfriend on returning home from work. He was less than impressed until I showed him where we were going!!)

3 months later after surviving on beans, bread and rice (not all together) so we could afford to go we boarded the 11 hour flight to Male. (by the way – when typing in Male on Google to see pictures of where you are going please ensure you type in the ‘island of Male’ otherwise you get very different results!!! Not great when you have your boss waiting to see pictures of where you are going and a big willy pops up!- so to speak) We flew with Monarch and you know what? It was ok. Ample leg room – even in economy – and good service. Im quite frightened of flying so when we do go away it has to be worth it – they were great – the entertainment was ok – other than there being no screen in your seat – and the pilot must have been good cos their were no bumps at all! Smooth sailing! I had three seats to myself because it was quiet so we just spread out! BONZA!

The next step of the journey was the sea plane. Maldivian Air Taxi – sorry. Again , im a nervy flyer. No need. Smooth, amazing and the pilots are quite entertaining. They fly bare foot and seem happy. Well – you would be wouldn’t you? The plane takes about 40 minutes. But the views you see! W.O.W. – The colours are amazing. The novelty of the sea plane will just never wear off.

Landing at Hakurra the word paradise does this island no justice. Its like Paradise magnified by 100 and then X2. Crystal clear water. Blue and white. Soft soft sand – peaceful. Private – just lush. It’s a tiny island. You can walk round it in 10 mins easy. Watch out for the hermit crabs though! I stood on one – I felt so guilty I spent about 10 mins apologising and trying to find it a new shell. It was not impressed and I felt rotten all day. But that’s just me.

The weather in December on the internet said sunny. This was not strictly true. The sun certainly did not have his hat on. He was in bed in a grump. Every now and again the sun would peep out from behind the clouds but it certainly wasn’t playing. We still got uber brown though- we perfected the art of cloud bathing. The few days where the sun did grace us with its presence it was so hot we had to keep nipping inside so to be honest the clouds were a welcome sight most of the time. I would stick with factor 25 and above at first. I have olive skin courtesy of greek daddy and even in the clouds I was feeling the burn with a 25 on. My fella burnt his eyelids (go figure) with a 30 on – so for a week everyone thought I was dating a man in pink eye shadow. Not the best look.

The island is surrounded by a moat. No – not a moat – a lagoon. You see the most amazing things bobbing about.(and I don’t mean the kind of stuff you see bobbing about in blackpool) Little reef fish – big reef fish – tiger fish – lion fish – jelly fish (not so keen) – sharks ( ‘nothing to panic about madam they wont bite’ as I come running out of the lagoon screaming like a banshee), small crabs , medium crabs , crabs as big as your head, sting rays , manta rays , puffer fish and Nemo. There is just constant activity in the water and it’s fabulous.

The day trips are not all inclusive. But they are well worth doing. Most prices range between 35 – 70 dollars. The snorkelling safari I strongly recommend if you’re in to that kind of thing, and even If your not I say do it. It’s incredible. For a first time snorkeler it was just amazing to see under the water. The gear is first class once you figure out how to stop it leaking and misting up – ‘spit madam – spit’. They take you to three reefs and it’s spectacular. We saw turtles and every kind of reef fish imaginable. (Well every reef fish I ever imagined – but I didn’t spend lots of time imagining so I enjoyed it).

The deep sea fishing was a hoot. In my mind I pictured us on a big white yacht with leather seats sipping champagne and looking thin (I always imagine myself looking thin) but it was a far cry away from that let me tell you – (boat wise not body mass wise) You go on a ‘Doni’. Picture a caravan on water and you’ll nearly be there. The Doni never stops moving and you are given bits of wire and gardening gloves. Funny as can be and so clever. They use fish guts as bait and you never stop moving. Everyone caught something (except one who claims he was trying not to be cruel so left them where they were). We caught a barracuda and the other couple caught a ‘big Maldivian fish’. (this was what we were told it was… ahh ok.) Word to the wise. If you get easily sea sick – deep sea fishing is NOT for you. Its like sitting on a plank of wood on a see-saw. I’ve never seen so many shades of green and that was just on my boyfriends face. Social suicide to puke over the boat. On the deep sea excursion though we also saw dolphins and two turtles giving each other a piggy back. (ahem).

The evening entertainment in the bar is great. Bingo , crab racing (funny funny funny), acrobats and DJ ranga. The music is a bit loud (and I like to think of myself as fairly young) so if you do get chatting you usually have to shout to each other. Embarrassing if you are having a private conversation and the music stops just as you scream ‘rash’. not that that happened to me you understand.

The word that springs to my mind when I think of the food is – spicy. Even having a bacon butty in the morning was blow your mouth off spicy. Figured out towards the end of the holiday the ketchup has chilli in it so that’s probably why I was gasping for water after every meal. Seriously though. The food is exquisite. So much to chose from – most cooked in front of you by the friendliest smiliest (no smelliest. Smiliest) waiting on staff ever – and for someone who gets ill from eating well done steak I was pleased to say I wasn’t ill once. They take hygiene very seriously. It was a welcome result.

There are birds everywhere too – crows – watch your food with the crows. They are not shy about nicking your donuts at snack time. (Which by the way is at 4.30 in the bar) And don’t panic too much if you hear screaming. (You’ve not been transported in to a 1960’s horror flick) it’s just the neighbourhood birds. (‘Madam calm down’)

They do dinner on the beach for 100 dollars. It’s very romantic if your boyfriend isn’t in a mood. (Only kidding honey) And definitely worth doing.

The Spa is out of this world and if you’re the kind of girl that needs pampering then walk about 3 feet from your bungalow and get pampered up duck! Pedicure manicure, aloe vera scrubs , coffee scrubs , Indian head massage (not for people who are head sore) , sweeeedish massage – lots to keep you going! And all done in amazing surroundings. However beware of coconuts falling on to the roof, they are loud and if your half way through a relaxing massage they can give you a shock (she says pushing her hernia back in).

All in all I would give this island 21 out of 10 and I would love to go again. They say it’s a three star but it’s so much more in my mind. You see I just can’t picture novotel arranging your bedding in the shape of a heart and surrounding it with flowers. I mean they might but I doubt it…

There is no pool but it doesn’t matter. The water sports are fairly limited but the ones they have are great fun. The staff are just fantastic and really make you feel special – and not just for tips. We had flowers on our bed and palm tree birds sitting on our table – our waiter even bought us a gift from the shop with the money we gave him as a tip. (How guilty did I feel? – we gave him some more and told him off!) However reception staff aren’t that helpful to be honest. I think reception are open between 8am and five past 8am and if you miss your five minute window they tend to frown and say yes a lot but nothing gets done. But im not one for grumbling.

The dive school guys are great. Especially ‘magic’. He is such a character. The bungalows are air conditioned and clean and luxury. The Beach ones are just as nice as the water bungalows, the only difference is they are on the beach so there is no glass panel to look through.(im not going to explain why not) You can snorkel outside the water bungalows too even If you aren’t staying in one. That’s pretty amazing too for a novice.

In short – It is what you make of it. We could have gone and moaned all week about the weather , the ketchup , the reception , the weather , the slight smell of sewage from 7am to 5 past 7am , the weather , no square crisps , the weather , the hermit crabs didn’t sing .. but we didn’t. We went, we couldn’t find a single thing to moan about – which is saying something – I mean we are british after all.

21 out of 10..without a doubt the best beach holiday I’ve had so far. (Even without a proposal!)

So here I sit back at my desk. Im looking at prices for Fiji – but I think 3 years of beans and rice is a bit much... then again Im miserable to be back and it is raining..

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing. it was perfect.
  • Stayed December 2007
40 Thank MissLexy
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2007

We returned from Hakuraa on the 27th of November 07 having spent 2 weeks in Paradise. It was definately the best holiday we have been on.. The accomodation was perfect. The water bungalows are of a decent size with perfect views, and with your own access to the beautiful lagoon. The sunsets over the nearby island you can view from your balcony. The room boys attend at least twice daily and were very friendly. All the staff on the island will go out of their way to ensure your perfect holdiay. The restaurant and meals were fantastic. There was always plenty of dishes to choose from and you are looked after by your personal waiter. The tables were rotated and during our second week we had the window view which was lovely. The bar and staff were entertaining and a lovely way to relax in the evening. Highly recommend the crab racing with Fernando!!! A lot of fun.
During the day you can relax on your balcony or on the beach, go snorkelling which is a must for everyone or enjoy a boat trip to the dolphins. There are many trips to choose from which all recieved good reviews from people we spoke to.
Overall we would highly recommend this holiday to paradise. Our only suggestion would be to upgrade your flights if possible for that extra comfort !!!!

• Liked — the glass floor and the balcony with steps to the lagoon
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank madcat77
Reading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

We stayed at the Hakura September 2006 and what a fantastic place. First time on a sea plane (very nervous at first) but should have had no worries it was brilliant, the views of other islands was fantastic.

Staff on arrival were wonderful from the lads taking our luggage to our roms and our greeter to meeting Raj with a cocktail and cloth to freshen us up.

From then on we felt extra special, the water bungalow was clean and well kept through the 2 weeks. Resturant and food was also very good with a wide variety for all. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Island was swept every day and in general all the staff on the island take care of it extremely well. Well Done.

The bar and staff was great to be able to sit out and talk to other guests and generally chill. Local brands on the all incluseive although you can pay for well known brands

Cocktails on the beach evening was really great fun, looking forward to that..

The ocean was unbelievable, although when in the lagoon behind the bungalows water shoes are a must because of the coral, although if you wished you need not wear shoes any other time of the day.

The sunsets and sun rises were wonderful, sitting early am and early pm on the balcony watchign the marine life was fantastic.

If you get the chance to visit the spa it is so relaxing and refreshes you.

It is amusing that after the crab races in the bar, the following morning you may see the crabs running round the island with the numbers on their backs.

I don't think there is anything bad to say about our experience at the Hakura, which is why we booked to return this year. Cannot wait. We are really looking forward to seeing staff and other guests again

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Cazza201159
Dorset, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

We have just returned form our second stay at Hakuraa, this time for 3 glorious weeks!
We booked through Virgin Holidays and after being subjected to Monaaaarrgh Airlines last year and vowing never to travel with them again, we took the option of using Sri Lankan Airlines on their scheduled service this time.They even gave us an extra 10kg allowance for our dive equipment, so top marks for that.
On the outbound flight, we flew from Heathrow T4 direct into Male and the flight was only half full, no complaints, good entertainment onboard with seat-back screens, cabin crew very attentive and friendly.
On arrival at Male, there was no sign of the Virgin rep but the helpful Kuoni rep assisted us to the correct desk for the onward sea-plane transfer.
After a short mini-bus ride to the Maldive Air Taxi terminal, we checked in and paid $16 excess baggage for our dive gear, which is very reasonable, as this covered both trips.
The sea-plane flight was excellent and we made 1 stop at a nearby Island before we had the plane to ourselves for the last hop to Hakuraa. The pilot even did a flight round the Island, so I could film the landing !
We had the welcome drink from Raj, the manager in reception and transferred to room 162, our home for the next 3 weeks.
We had room 102 last year and had the sun on our deck until mid-day so we opted for the other end this year to get the sun in the afternoon.
There are 170 Water bungalows, each with sundeck and steps into the lagoon and 10 beach bungalows.
Rooms are spacious and have a glass panel in the floor to watch the fish through, there is even a light to use after dark.
TV and mini-bar,soft drinks and water included, huge bed and storage space for clothing are all here waiting for the weary traveller.
The roomboy visits twice daily, towels and bedding changed every day and the bed sheeting was arranged in different patterns every night. Rooms and bathroom very clean.
It took about 15 minutes to walk round the island, but if you cut across, it's only about 5 minutes, pathways are swept everyday by the staff, who are all so friendly and all say hello to you.
The restaurant is all-inclusive buffet style with a great variety to please the fussiest eater. Soup, salad-bar, curry, pasta, roast fish and meat every evening along with other choices, we were very impressed with the choices available even including ice-cream one nght!
Water shoes are a must for the lagoon side as there is broken coral, from the Tsunami, outside the water bungalows but the beach is fine sand and fine to walk on in bare feet.
Various excursions are offered, Dolphin Safari, Night fishing, Island hopping, Snorkelling, all charged at $30 and last about 3 hours. There is an Adam & Eve trip for about $200 where a couple are taken by boat to an uninhabited island with a picnic basket of food and drink ( there is a table set out for the meal) and a mobile phone and you have the place to yourselves until you are ready to return, when you just phone for the boat.
They also have a romantic meal on a dhoni boat for 2 , or on the beach at night.
The diving is operated by Dive & Sail who offer 50+ dive sites from the island. 2 tank boat dives at 0830 and 1 tank dive at 1430 every day, even if you are the only person booked.
The also offer night dives at 1730, early morning at 0515 and some Saturdays a 3 dive all day trip to further reefs.
Prices are $50 for all equipment and $42 if only tanks and weights are needed.
If you take your PADI open water course with them, they offer the Advance course absolutely free if you book an 8 dive package.
They also offer a free Nitrox course, just pay $130 for certification, which again, is excellent value.
Snorkelling equipment is supplied free for the duration of your holiday as well.
The Instructors, Adam, Ruth, Bruno and Magic are all excellent. My partner took a resort dive last year and returned this time and passed her PADI open water course with Ruth, so many thanks to her for her friendly help and advice.
The weather was Scorchio, we had 1 storm which lasted about 3 hours and uprooted a palmtree and 2 other showers which lasted about 20-30 minutes but other than that, the weather was beautiful.
For entertainment in the Bar, which is open-air and built over the lagoon, they offer bingo, hermit crab racing, disco, local drummers/dancers and an acrobat show.
We were just content to sit and look out over the water and watch the Stingrays, baby black-tip sharks, turtles and fish swimming about, you can't beat that for entertainmnet in my book!
All standard drinks, beer, spirits,wine are included, together with a selection of a few cocktails but they also have a list of cocktails for $9 each.
Cigarettes are available for $4 for 20, if you're that way inclined.
There is a small souvenir shop on the island selling cards, t-shirts and basic toileteries but it's quite expensive.
There is a jewellery shop but I never ventured inside so don't know any prices.
Just for your info, theduty free shop at Male is very reasonable, cigs $22 for 200 and $34 for 400. 1 Ltr scotch $16, Vodka $14.
All in all, it was fantastic, our best holiday ever.
Did we feel bored ? No.
Will we return?? Hell yeah!

• Liked — Friendly staff. Magical setting
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
20 Thank TrevnDebs
stansted
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2007

We went to Hakura for 18 days for our honeymoon.. Some people raised thier eyebrows to say we would be bored... Never.. The Island is perfect.
The temperature was HOT.
There is a bit of a competetion for the sunbeds in the shade but everyone seems to get their spot.
The rooms are lovely and have a speactacular view of the Ocean. They are cleaned twice a day and the room boys are really friendly and chatty. The bathroom towels were changed every day as were the beach towels, the bed sheets are also changed every day.
The food is buffet style and varied... even after 18 days we managed to fill our faces..

The only criticism of the island is that within the lagoon it is too shallow to swim so you have to walk about 300m to swim in water deep enough.. As for the shoe business, behind the water bungalows (where it is quite good to snorkel at high tide) you will need something on you feet, whereas on the main beach you dont need any shoes to protect your feet.

As there is no house reef, there is a free boat that takes you snorkelling at 9am and 3 pm you must do this it is excellent.

Overall it was the best holiday and would definatley go again..

• Liked — the glass bottom to view the fish
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank beckyj1372
North East England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

What a fantastic place for a relaxing holiday.

The rooms are clean and better than some we have stayed in with steps down into the shallow lagoon. Take some water shoes if you go into the lagoon as dead coral could cut your feet.
We saw small reef sharks and wrays of the back of our bungalow at night.

The food is good with a wide selection so it's not often that you can't find somthing you like Curry for breakfast lunch and dinner if you so desire. Our waiter Hannan was brilliant.

The diving is first class with Tim and the boys and girls. Go of the Atol into the ocean side as the bigger fish are there eg Mantas white tip sharks.

Would I go back YES!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Diving
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple