We went to Maldives with my wife on her recommendation. She visited last year Meeru island. Our primarily goal was snorkeling and diving. Our travel agent booked Dhoveli island. The island was relatively close to Male by speedboat. It took us about 20minutes to get on the island. We got a nice beach bungalow but the view was distorted by plastic bags on the beach. The bags were supposed to hold the sand on the beach. The lacuna had very shallow water so our legs got scratched very soon during initial snorkeling. We discovered very soon that the island is intended for surfers. The waves were big.
We went to reception. The manager of the resort was very cooperative and offered us one of three resorts to switch to without any additional cost. We decided for Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo. We made a good decision. Even though the transport back to Male and from Male to Ellaidhoo by sea boat took us about 3 hours the inconvenience was definitely worth it.
All reception stuff gave us a warm welcome right after we touched the island. We had our beach bungalow within 15 minutes. It was clean, air-conditioned, under palms and pretty distanced from neighbors but only 15meters from the sea. The beach was beautiful. The pictures with white sand are true and not modified :-)
The sea had the right temperature. The water was gradually deeper but after 10 meter we hit the reef. The water was about 20meters deep there. It was no problem for us because we are good swimmers. The most import we found the beauty under the sea surface. All kinds of fish, turtle, shark in all possible colors. We have not seen such beauty. My wife and son decided to see the world deeper so they went to diving school. The stuff in diving school was friendly and professional. Our son became a friend with one member. He took him to night snorkeling. He was impressed with night snorkeling.
We had tennis rackets with us and we used them every day. The hard court was in the middle of the island and it was in good shape. The best time to play is before sunset. You get sweat but the dinner tastes better. If you do not play tennis you burn the calories in very nicely equipped fitness center.
We had all inclusive package which covered all our needs except the espresso coffee. We love good coffee so it was worth for us pay extra for the Illy. The food was excellent and healthy with variety of choices. The good news for us: We did not gain any kilogram :-) However if you expect thousand different dishes you should opt for some 5 star all inclusive resort in Turkey.
The stuff in resort was friendly. We felt that they really cared about us. Their smile improved our mood daily. I celebrated birth date on the island. It was the most romantic birth date present from my wife. The dinner on the beach surrounded by candles, next to a big fire with excellent food stays in my memory till end of my life.
To summarize, we found exactly what we were looking for: privacy, a beatiful beach and underwater world and sport activities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, like all nature's wonders, is blessed with a spectacular offering for marine enthusiasts, is known the world over as the dive island in the Maldives.In the shade. Under the palms. On the Beach. Over the water. There are plenty of stylish types of living spaces to choose from at Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon. The 112 rooms are delightfully designed to blend in with the tropical backdrop and its natural environment.A stunning location combined with star-class facilities and outstanding levels of service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, TravelUp, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Hotel North Ari Atoll
- Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Resort