See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 3, 2008

needs renovation asap!
the rooms were dirty , lots of sand on the floor. the tub was rusty. Toilet did not have a toilet seat cover so it was dificult if you wanted to take your shoes of in the bathroom,or put your clothe on the toilet seat,no place to put either your dirty or your clean clothe. it also made a very loud noise. To shut down the window had to go outside the small balcony and punch it hard.to turn the air condition on had to call the maid since the old light switch to turn it on is inside the small closet, and no one tells you when you register.You are given a remote to turn the t.v. on and not explained how to do it. after long time trying to figure it out we got around three channels.The rocking chair in the balcony was missing one rocker.
I had booked a double room and what i got was a room with a double bed and a single roll a bed with a lousy frame.
the old hot water pool is not kept in good conditions. The cold water modern pool was great but i can enjoy a pool at home , the enchantment is the termal waters.
With all and my arthritis i walked to the original pool outside the hotel trhough a dirty road full of rocks. If these termal water are so full of minerals good for arthritis and reuma why haven they constructed a way pave for handycapped people.?
front desk was friendly and of course like all puertorricans the people in the original spanish pool were very friendly at least making the alwfull experience more pleasant.
the parking lot is outside the hotel area on dirt with chickens and stray dogs running around, very difficult to pull your roll around lugage.
The price was high for such a low class hotel, the rest of my stay I had been in San Juan in the condado area and paid the same price for a 3 star hotel with excellent service, cable t. v. two full beds etc.
It is a pity that with such a wonder as the termal water they do not renovate this hotel that would attract millions of viistors from all parts of the world.Of all the "paradores" I have stayed in Puerto rico this one is the worst.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank gulemba
Reviewed January 18, 2008

This was my 1st and to say the LAST time I stay there.
To begin: bed was full of sand, the bathroom was full of rust and when you showered the bathtub would fill up with water as the drainage was not working at all! Breakfast was decent, but the walls inside the restaurant were cracked.
There was to be music on Saturday night, but the musician was sick with no replacement. When you asked for service they seemed a bit bothered. The souvenir shop was closed.
The only pretty site was the view around the hotel.
The pool was nice and clean. Hotel is run down and needs ALOT of maintenance and cleaning up.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank dll1972
Reviewed October 29, 2006

I was very much looking forward to our fairly quick stay here. We had been to Vieques to the Biobay (FABULOUS!) and were on the way back to Rincon, and I love hot springs, and it just made sense. The hotel itself was nice enough, loved the open-air front desk and very professional check-in by the same gentleman with whom I'd made the telephone reservation. The room was just fine, although the second-floor location with no elevator or bellman for two women with a bunch of luggage was less than desirable. I drove the car into the compound at his direction, but somehow felt like I was being a bad girl since I was running over vines and the pavement barely seemed adequate. The parking lot is out front of the entire compound, probably 75 yards from the stairway to our room.

All that aside, my main problem is with the presentation of the hot spring itself. As two middleaged blonde gringas, we simply weren't into trying the public bath outside the gates. But the bath/pool inside the gate was terribly disappointing. The air was about 90, the pool a little hotter, with no shade or other shelter from the sun - and the entire pool area (hot and cold) closes at 6 p.m. and reopens at 9:30 a.m., so that it can't be used at precisely the times I would enjoy it - after dark or early in the morning. It was an interesting and not wholly unpleasant experience, the water was very nice indeed, but I won't go back unless and until the hours are made more amenable to users. This is PR after all - it's never going to be even cool out during daylight hours without shade!!!

The restaurant wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I was dying for Puerto Rican food and this is a meson gastronomico - anointed by the PR Tourism folks as authentic - but it wasn't very good at all. I could barely eat the mofongo and the accompanying mariscos, while they were good, were served separately, not in the usual mortar cup with mariscos over the mofongo. We also had the exceptionally interesting experience of being the only two people in the 100+seat dining room for the entire meal, about 6-7 p.m. There were at least a few other guests, but they must have been eating elsewhere.

I would stay here again, but not go out of my way to do it and preferably have some man-type people with me so I could venture out to the public baths. I grew up in PR and know my limits - and that's one of them!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank Susan C
Reviewed June 24, 2006

The sleeping rooms at Banos de Cuomo are clean but run down. The window shutters in the two rooms we looked at had broken mechanisms, and both showers dripped. But we stayed anyway and were glad. Our balcony looked out over a huge ancient tree with vines and bromiliads all over and sitting there in the evening was magical. the restaurant was huge and had a flavor of times past. The food was OK. There are two modern pools, one cool and the other hot, which are supposed to stay open until 6 or 7 PM. But they drained the hot pool a hour earlier than advertised; this however, shows that they put clean water in daily. There is another set of pools which is not part of the property. They are public, more primative, and more interesting because you can get into many great conversations with the locals, iln English. You reach them easily by walking around the fence at the front entry to the hotel. This place is not for people who like everything neat and clean and perfect, but it is for people who want to see the real Puerto Rico and have a special experience.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank humanone
Reviewed January 14, 2006

Room was spacious and clean, althought bathroom fixtures were a bit ancient (girlfriend didn't like that).

It was cool enough at night not to need AC, but still had to listen to the neighbors' AC units.

Hot springs were pleasant enough, but not really worth maing this a "destination".

The restaurant was really not very good.

• Stayed: December 2005