“Club Med-iocre”

Club Med La Plantation d'Albion
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Albion
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Probably the worst hotel in Mauritius.
Firstly, this hotel has the worst beach possible. Not suitable for swimming or even walking on.
The service is absolutely atrocious . Since when do staff (the g.o's) eat before the guests and guests have to queue up behind them, the staff are uncaring, insincere, and everything is a mission for them. You can't get a poached egg at breakfast without complaining to the hotel manager. This feels more like a summer camp for kids than an exotic island getaway. Don't even try asking for a drink on the non existent beach . Club dredd doesn't offer this service, don't dare ask for a sandwich or simple plate of French fries before lunch because you will be told by the whipper snapper waiter to wait for lunch time. They will not accommodate any request that might push their boundaries. Most staff members are in their late teens,early twenties and have no clue what service means, I doubt most of them can even spell the word. The gym does not cater sufficiently as there too few training machines and even those that are there are rusting. If you are a weight watcher then bring your own scale as the only one in the hotel is in the infirmary which is used by guests to weigh their luggage. At least 50 percent of the crockery we made use of was either broken or chipped. The negatives are too numerous to mention and frankly this hotel has made me never to want to come back to mauritius again.

Room Tip: The only good rooms are the sea facing villas. God help you if you don't, you have been warned.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Rob G
There are newer reviews for Club Med La Plantation d'Albion

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel, the first, two years ago was great. However it appears that a change in Leadership has changed all that:
Services levels have deteriorated
Speciality restaurants are difficult if not impossible to get into at night
The fridge in our room took three days to repair.( No cold drinks)
A catamaran trip booked weeks in advance was not booked according to specification and took days to resolve
Money was stolen from our room safe and the hotel's Chef de Village denied responsibility.
The room in the garden was dark and dank.

Not a great outcome and since we were there with a group of 25, it did not leave a great impression. I must admit that the MD of Club Med in South Africa has stood up and taken responsibility and is attempting to resolve this issue which we greatly appreciate.

So be careful before booking into this particular establishment

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Ernestjdt
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Abig Thankyou for my holiday and the great people that were always there to help me when my daughter(Amy) and her boyfriend left to go to South Africa and I was there on my own for another 4 days......What a tim e I had ......Thanks Barb and Dada for the boat trip it was fantastic day one we will all remember.Melissa who greeted us at reception you were fantastic to me always so helpful and so friendly as were all the reception staff.Bar staff Pat and Nic and Jefferey always there to keep me refreshed ha ha ....Food was out of this world with so many different choices nearly had excess luggage (me) going home....Kevin,Aelx,Jess,Kathy always there with a smile and a chat thankyou for your kindness towards me when I was on my own. A big thankyou to Nareesh for always keeping my room so lovely and clean....Overall THANKYOU TO EVERYONE FOR MAKING ME FEEL SO WELCOME....

Room Tip: I had a middle room in the Club Garden and found it really lovely and peaceful. Loved the so soft an...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2013

After a perfect stay last year, we came back and it was even better! Barq, the chef de village, is much more hands on than his predecessor. The mini club was one of the most improved areas. The children did much more activities, went to the beach, on the boat and had adventure walks around the property. There was also a focus on healthy eating at mini club which was a welcome change from daily sausages and fries last year! Special mention for Daphne and Lulu. Although the club was full, the property is so big it never feels busy. Staff was very friendly and we all benefitted from the French English bilingual environment. The food was delicious and you get to eat on the best restaurant deck ever! Deluxe rooms worth the extra cost. We will be back soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JJKLondon
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently went to the Club Med Albion resorts for a full day outing (day and night) with colleagues from work. The first thing that surprised us was the welcome. We were made to wait 1 long hour in the sun at the entrance before being admitted to the premises of the hotel. When we shared that with the responsible at the reception, they just mention that there was lots of departures planned and we were not priority. Furthermore, there was no welcome and no briefing to introduce us to the facility of the hotel. They just put our badge on and tell us that we can access the hotel premises now. All throughout the day, there was nobody from the hotel who looked after us to see whether everything was ok, etc... There was no personal attention at all.

The food and beverages on offer was ok. However, during dinner, they move without any reason one of our table where we already started to dine. We are very surprised on how they can allow to move a table where they see plates on them. It is the first time I ever experience this though I have been at different hotel and restaurants.

In terms of the bar, they sharply close their bar at 01:00 and refuses systematically to serve anything. They have and set their own rules in terms of own they are going to serve the clients.

Furthermore, I would like to highlight with the way that they treat locales at the hotel. There is clearly a different level of service for foreigners and locales at this hotel.

Finally, I wanted to point out the poor quality of their show. It lasted only 30 minutes and was not animating at all.

Apart from that, food at the buffet and other sports activities are ok.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank brinsley_gungadoo
ClubMedUK_official, Public Relations Manager at Club Med La Plantation d'Albion, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your time spent putting your comments on Trip Advisor as it is only with constructive criticisms that we can improve the standards and quality of service offered by Club Med.

I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to certain aspects of your holiday at Club Med La Plantation d’Albion this November.

I was sorry to read that you found the welcome at this resort to be below the standard that you expected and that the reception area was very busy. Please kindly note that after having checked with the resort, I can confirm that unfortunately, the resort was operating at high occupancy levels upon your arrival and whilst our staff on site do their utmost to make sure our guests are welcomed promptly this may not always be the case due to these high occupancy levels. Nevertheless I have bought up this issue with the reception staff at Club Med La Plantation d’Albion for their kind perusal. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience caused to you on this occasion.

I was concerned to read that you were moved tables in the restaurant before you had finished dining. This certainly is not something which Club Med condones and I have ensured that the relevant departments within our organization have been made aware of this situation in order for them to take necessary action and improvements in order to prevent this situation from occurring in the future.

I also understand that you found that the staff seemed to treat you and other locals somewhat differently to that of other guests. I can assure you that Club Med does certainly not condone such behaviour from members of staff and that this kind of attitude is just the antithesis of what Club Med staff should personify i.e. kindness, generosity and sense of service. On the behalf of Cub Med, I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you on this occasion.

Please do not hesitate to get into contact with us via our Customer Relations Office (UK) using our e-mail address customer.uk@clubmed.com if you require any further assistance or would like to make an official complaint with us.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,

Club Med Customer Relations UK

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We actually won a week at La Plantation d'Albion at the Bastille Day Gala in Johannesburg, and went in March this year. It was paradise, and to add to my joy, we got engaged there.
Naturally, we decided we wanted to bring our family and friends to join us in celebrating our wedding there - and we have just returned from this.

What to say except that we have been told over and over again by all of our guests (30-odd people) - who ranged from couples from the UK in their late seventies to a mature couple from the US, to young, single and restless dudes from London, to professional 30-and-40-somethings and young families from Johannesburg - that this had been UNDOUBTEDLY been the BEST holiday they had EVER had.

The food is exquisite and plentiful, the range of delicacies and traditions and types and styles will boggle your mind.
There is the Le Phare Restaurant that is open for late breakfasts, late lunches and dinner, too, which is equally amazing.
There are on tap cocktails and my best - great French Champagne... say no more.
Service is BRILLIANT, staff friendly and professional. Vani was fabulous, as was Soud.
The Chef de Village - Barq - is the ultimate host and at one's beck and call - he really is an example to all Hotel Managers... talking to pretty much every guest every day, conducting the evening festivities - we could not believe how little sleep the staff get!
The rooms were wonderfully decorated and designed.
The pools are spectacular and beautiful... the ZEN pool is quiet and the main pool is full of fun activities (highly recommend the aqau-aerobics class, taken by the exquisite Psyche at 11am every day).
The entertainment was always worth watching for a laugh. Then for fun on the dance floor...

It is extremely hard getting back from a holiday in Dreamland - one land with a bump, but also with a hope that it won't be too long before you're back there again, in the sun watching that aqua-marine sea, sipping a Pinocolada...

Thank you, Club Med La Plantation d'Albion... you were truly spectacular.

Room Tip: Ask for the De Luxe rooms - they are divine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank HMAG101
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I can't say how happy I am from my holidays in Mauritius. I felt so welcomed by the G.O's from Albion and they made my holidays so nice! I would like to thank you to my favorite workers Eric and Dada from the Teens Club, Zani and Marcelo (the brazilians :DD ) and Cassy from the circus team! I have so many memories to keep from the week i spent there... i can't believe its already over. I met many nice people and i felt so entretained everyday by the shows and the parties! The food there is really nice as well as the people. The Mauritians are such nice people and are so lucky for the paradise they have. The Club Med have many facilities such as going snorkling, sailing, canoeing and many other great things. I just have no words to describe how good my holidays were.If it is a family holiday you are looking for, this is the perfect village <3 just wonderful!

Room Tip: Rooms next to the reception are really good because as the village is big, you can walk to the beach...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albion
LUX Le Morne
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to Club Med La Plantation d'Albion? Share your experiences!