“Resort too large and Meal Times to restrictive for Children”

Club Med La Plantation d'Albion
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Albion
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We arrived late afternoon and although we requested a garden / ground floor room we were taken to a middle floor unit quite far from the Resort facilities. We waited 30min for our luggage which was frustrating given it arrived with us. We wanted to bath and change our children after a long day of travelling.

The Rooms were interleading and nicely designed. The first night there was awful as we recieved incorrect information from staff on where we could eat with our children and ended up moving around a lot before we were seated in the right area. After unpacking and settling kids we finally went to sleep around 11pm only to be woken at 5am by cleaning staff moving furnature around in a room next door. The rooms are poorly insulated and you can hear what people door in rooms next door to you, which I hate. This went on for an hour before I went out and asked them to stop. We finally fell back at asleep only to be woken by a phone alarm we didnt even request. Not the best start,

The air conditioner stopped working during the afternoon of our first day there and it took 4 calls to reception to get this fixed. Reception staff were quite rude and inefficient. It was frustrating dealing with them.

The Meal times do not work for South African Children. Our Children (2 and 5) cannot wait until 12.30pm to eat Lunch (they are hungry from 11.30) or 7pm to eat Dinner (They eat at 6 and are bathed and asleep by 7). This made things extremely difficult for us.

The resort is far too spread out. Its a massive walk from rooms to the resort reception and then another long walk to the Pool or restaraunt. You cannot order food around the pool so its always a pack up and walk session to get food. Very annoying. Their are Gold Carts but they arent always there when you need them and are often going in the wrong direction.

Baby sitting is very expensive and the Petit Club is stupidly over priced. The GO's in this area of the resort dont speak enough UNDERSTANDABLE english.

The Beach is poor and is too far away from the resort. Again, its a walk to get to and with little children it was quite annoying to always have so much walking to do when its so hot.

The Pool is beautiful but the Lige Guardring staff missed various times my son stepped off a step and would have drowned had my husband not been close by. This meant we were always watching the children and were unable to completely relax.

The Concierge saved our trip. Chanel arranged early meals for the Children and sorted out all our complaints and frustrations which is what saved this trip from being a complete disaster.

We wouldnt go back.

Room Tip: We have 2 Standard Interleading Rooms facing the Tennis Courts. I would ask for Sea Facing rooms or...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank leigh w

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at the Club for 2 weeks at the end of October. We are a family with two children aged 6 and 4. We had a deluxe room with connecting standard room for the children. This worked very well for us. We had the best holiday. People were very nice to the kids and Mauritius is perfect for a bilingual English French family like ours. Weather was warm but not too hot, great food, zen area for some quiet time and a great spa. Special mention to Melanie and Alex at the sailing club who went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. Usual kids club service to give parents some time. The club was apparently near capacity but the grounds are so big we thought it was only half full, which suited us fine as we really needed to rest. We all loved it! Hope we will go again. We heard that if you love partying, pointe aux cannoniers is better.

Room Tip: Grand bois is great for families as it is near the main restaurant and kids club. Quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JJKLondon
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med La Plantation d'Albion, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Great Member,

We would like to thank you warmly for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor about your holiday in La Plantation d’Albion last October. We are really pleased to hear that you and your family had the best holiday and that you enjoyed our staff friendliness especially at the sailing club, the top-quality food and the way your children have been looked after by our GOs.

We hope to welcome you again soon in one of our Resorts.
Best wishes,
Your Club Med UK Team.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Very dissapointed by the girl at the trapeze activity area. She was not nice. It was my first time and the on the site very quick training was not explained well... Plus the Staff members were not very smiling.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank shuikumi
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We are just coming back from 9 days at la plantation d Albion, and had the most beautiful experience at the Spa cinq mondes where Lionel and his team make your stay a dream comes true.
The therapists, some of them: Madhi, Ouma, Kumud, Priya, Yannick, Chaya, Sweetee, Anil, Sandhya, Laura, Josepha, Kumud, Anjoo, Emy, Christophe, Melissa, Vimi, Amiirah, Melanie and all, welcome you and care for you during all your time there, giving excellent massages and treatments. Favourites: Ayurvedic Rituals, Royal Sirodhara Treatment, Sublime Ritual from Polynesia, Bali Flowers ritual (all new and great)
The team that welcome you and book your treatments, or give you advice on the products, is super nice, Anouchka, Dylen, Hansha, Yashika. You only want to stay with them for a cold or hot herbal tea, a chat or a relaxing time.
Shirley is always here for you, always with a smile and helping you with any needs.
Lionel is caring and insuring that everything is just perfect for you, that your time is great and that you are enjoying every minutes spent in his spa.
It was hard to say good-bye, especially when the entire team came and said good bye on the last day. Heart breaking, but we had to go back to reality.
We will definitely come back. The location itself is although beautiful, with every details thought of, flowers all around, and a relaxation room opposite the sea, where again you can enjoy an herbal drink cold or hot and stay as long as you wish.
Thank you at the spa team for the most relaxing time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hulottes
Reviewed November 19, 2012

5 star and Club med in one sentence are contradictory as they have a completely different ethos .D'albion is a watered down 5 star and a quiter Club med which can still work depending on your requirements
The Zen area with its own pool , restauraunt and bar is very pleasant and quite but a fairly long walk to the main reception areas .The restaurant which serves breakfast / lunch and dinner later than the main buffet is A La carte and one will be well looked after by Pierre,Tanya ,Benjie and the rest of the team
There are obviously some very good staff and those that stood out to us was Matt Matt / Mimi / Cassie at the trapeze and Larissa at the concierge desk but unfortunately not all staff shone like them
There seemed to be an attitude of "sorry we cannot help" as opposed to "let me see what we can do " as what u would expect from a 5 star establishment but will serve no purpose to go into the detail
The beach is a long walk from many of the area's especially the Zen area and almost become too much trouble to go for a quick swim as would be expected on a tropical island so we spend most of our time at the pool which seemed to be the norm but clearly our preference would to have been on the beach
The nightly shows were overall of a poor standard as could be gauged by the small attendance or people leaving during a show
The food at the buffet was plentiful and appertising but our prefernce was still the A La carte restaurant
We also had an out break of flies which made the dining outdoor experiences fairly unpleasant
Overall would we return -even though its not bad there are many better resorts to chose from

Room Tip: Choose your room vey carefully depending on your needs as it does impact your holiday
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jeremy812
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having always been an independent traveller and revisited old haunts year in year out when my wife suggested a last minute holiday at a Club Med in Mauritius my blood ran cold…….
We have a young child who at the time of our first visit was 4 turning 5 ……..I’ll start with that! If you have child fatigue and want to enjoy a space where you and your partner can enjoy each other whilst your kids are safely and brilliantly entertained from 8 in the morning to 9 at night then you are already on first base! Kids club rules , the activities are superbly organized but not in an anal and compulsory way that requires a regimented program – your child is allowed to sign in and out at will and can even influence what activities the kids do ! The spa rocks, for two year now my tennis has improved under Fadi the coach who is a laugh a minute ! The selection of food and beverages are fantastic (not Michelin start but good enough for most mortals), the service from all the staff superb – nothing is too much trouble. With mist sports activity also included this makes for a festival of fun for all the family in five star surroundings. Aziz the resort GM is also a star and he will be missed when he leaves for Mexico this year, my wife and I are seriously considering going there next year as the tennis coach is going too……..before you raise an eyebrow he’s what you imagine to a tennis coach to be but I think its all ok! The standard rooms are great and perfectly adequate for parents and a child, and the kids club gives you “private time” if you know what I mean! Every night there is a show and a party and you can do as much or as little as you like! One criticism would be the rooms have a damp smell, we went in October just at the end of winter and it’s a tropical island, this may improve but its no biggy. As good a family holiday as you will ever have without breaking the bank!

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the Zen lawn are the furthest from the noise, get one at ground level i fyou...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DinothegreekCapeTown
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I am just soooo disappointed with Club Med’s after sales service. My 4 girls like Club Med. At each of the 3 summer resorts they’ve been to, they leave saying it’s the best place ever. But I suspect it may be more to do with falling into summer love with French boys and I may test a much cheaper version next year of a bog standard trip to Calais. Ha!

Our Club Med family trips usually cost around £25-£35,000 so not cheap, but the quality of admin service before parting with my money is so distinctly different from the attitude after. I am now feeling so totally disregarded by four different departments bouncing me around and ignoring my emails to settle two simple insurance claims nearly 3 months after the event. They call me a ‘gold member’ but I’m not aware of any value in this except that it’s cheaper for me to be an advertising hoarding for them, as I get a discount in the shop; only on Club Med branded merchandise it seems though. Tours get a ‘gold’ discount too but none of the ones I spent over £2000 on! Nor any of the objects or pieces I purchased from the boutique, despite being told they did by reception, as they didn’t have Club Med emblazoned all over them.

Being a gold member doesn’t appear to afford me the courtesy of having my calls returned or emails answered either.

Club Med Albion is a beautifully located resort and we took two interconnecting beachfront suites that gave us plenty of space. Rooms were good but the beach was public and we were warned twice about security, which abruptly arrested our drift down into chillaxation.

On the second day my daughter’s new iPod was stolen from the room, which added to our sense of unease. No verandah doors had been left unlocked so we can only assume it was by key access through the front door. The police attended with the manager and we went through the deadly tedious routine of filling reports. The manager told us Club Med has insurance and all would be sorted. He also arranged for one of his staff to collect documents from the police station so we didn’t have to. The next day my other daughter’s friend had her handbag with keys, wallet, phone and Nintendo stolen from the bar area.

All of us suffered a lot of bites and I’m not sure whether these were bugs or mosquito, despite the electric mosquito machines being used. We went off season in August and I hoped that the fly problem I’d read about in reviews would not be an issue then, but unfortunately if you wish to eat outside you have to be adept at eating with just a fork allowing the other hand to wave constantly over the food. Even this didn’t deter the more belligerent flies so we gave up after the first few days and ate under cover, but I did have a very toned left shoulder by then.

I liked the off-season of August. Most days had a just few hours cloud and we a had a few short spurts of rain 2 or 3 times each week, but the temperature was a comfortable 23 – 28 degrees.

Now I’m not a clumsy person but two days before the end of our holiday I stumbled on the stairs up from the beach and fell through them. The pain was excruciating and I thought I’d broken one leg that was gashed and bleeding. The other had skin scrapped off the ankle and shins. The pain subsided and I returned to look at the staircase. The final riser was 15 mm higher than all the others and the gap in the preceding tread was 100mm wider than all the others. It could not have been better designed to cripple someone. I reported this to the manager and explained the importance of staircase design. It only takes a 3mm variance in risers to trip someone up. This staircase wasn’t even close. (Yes, I have designed a few staircases in my time). To his credit the maintenance crew were there next morning rebuilding the staircase. Unfortunately by then my leg was so swollen and painful to walk on that the Club doctor recommended an x-ray and check for fracture at the local hospital. I had to pay for the car to take me, and all the hospital costs even though Club Med assured me their insurance would refund me. Fortunately there was no break in the bone, just a lot of soft tissue swelling and cuts to clean out and bandage up. Not quite how I wanted to spend the last few days of my holiday.

Now the good stuff…
All the resort staff we came in contact with felt genuinely warm and helpful, and that’s a big part of any Club Med holiday. Really good spa treatments and helpful instruction at the archery centre. We had fun on the trapeze and the Divemaster was very encouraging in getting all of my kids to experience sub-aqua. Food was generally okay and as expected, but again, fly issues meant we avoided great swathes of the offering. Loved the quad bike safari; swimming with dolphins awesome and we got to see a very large whale as an added bonus. The whole day speedboat trip to the Lagoon was also enjoyable.

I’m still waiting for Club Med to settle these insurance claims and while no one is returning my emails each of these petty annoyances further diminish my depleted good feelings towards Club Med.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms also interconnect with suites. They have a decent amount of space and a great...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank MichaelVanC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albion
LUX Le Morne
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Club Med La Plantation d'Albion? Share your experiences!