“Varied”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Varied”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I stayed for a week with my husband and six month old son. It was my first time staying at an all inclusive resort type hotel and we chose it because of the baby club. The property is lovely and the rooms nicely fitted if small. I really liked the food and there was enough variety for a week long stay. Also despite the hotel being very busy we never had to queue for food.

The GOs were very friendly especially towards our son. However they were everywhere. At some activities they clearly outnumbered guests. They also projected an atmosphere of enforced cheerfulness that isn't my cup of tea.

I speak fluent French but my husband doesn't and he felt a bit awkward at times. English speakers may find certain things such as going through the kid's club registration process difficult if they don't speak French.

Despite never having attended a creche before my baby settled into the baby club well. Though as he is so small we never left him for a whole day. My only criticism was that they failed to stick to my timetable for feeding him. Each day I sent him with a bottle of milk and instructions to give it to him as well as solids and each day he came home with it.

My baby came down with a virus on the sixth day and I was very pleased to find out that they have a doctor onsite who you can consult without an appointment. This was very reassuring and the doctor even came up to me at breakfast the next day to ask how baby was doing.

The main downside to this holiday for me was the fact that once we had put the baby to bed at 8:30 we had to spend the rest of the evening reading quietly in the dark so as not to wake him. As a resort that is aiming itself at families it could really do to provide some sort of baby listening facility and rooms with a seperate annex for a cot. Also we felt guilty taking the rest of our bottle of wine from the restaurant back to our rooms in the evening.

We spent our days exploring the surrounding countryside in our hire car but most of the guests seemed to stay on site and take part in activities. We didn't really get involved in any activities but if you like that sort of thing there seemed to be plenty going on. I would really have liked to go for a swim but they don't heat the pools out of season which is a shame.

All in all we won't be going on this sort of holiday again but I enjoyed it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank bronagh80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Not my choice and not what I expected. I was there for a business meeting. Apparently it was more affordable than anywhere in Paris and one of the few places in France that could put together a package for the crowd.

The place reminded me of a combination of Las Vegas, a cruise ship and the Oregon Country Fair. There seemed to be more staff there than guests, but it was a struggle to get them to help out with anything. Because they were all so cute and charming, nobody seemed to mind all that much, but obviously the payroll is very padded and that no doubt leads to a cost-structure that is difficult to maintain.

Also, their priorities are really inappropriate for business travel. Internet service is limited and expensive and I was unable to get cell phone access. While they try to make it self-contained, they exploit guests as a captive market and make a lot of their money on 'extras.' I could not get something printed or copied, and the hotel staff made me feel like a dweeb for even asking them if I could. The staff's attitude was to act as if I was kidding whenever I asked for help. They were polite and good-natured about it, not insolent or arrogant, but not at all helpful either.

Even though I wouldn't stay there again at my own expense, and wouldn't recommend it to most people, I know people who are into that sort of thing.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Rome
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Opio is a good place for quiet holiday...for those people who need to rest after overworked period!
Nice village with beautiful accomodations and very kind staff.
Better to go there with own car to go around in Provence in see the beautiful towns.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Having been to another Club Med resort (La Palmyre) we were expecting something better then there. However the visit to Opio was huge disappointment. Here are just a few points contributing to the bad review:
- very small rooms with no outside space (we had room with balcony, but it was small and unlit and not conducive for spending time on it);
- very poor facilities for children (a) very limited spaces in petit club med, which also seemed to have uninterested GO's, b) almost no play facilities e.g. not even a sand pit, c) no pool appropriate for 2 year old);
- babysitting starts at 16-18 EUR/h;
- food very average and definitely not better then at La Palmyre.

Overall the resort left an impression of poor management exemplified by incompetent and often uninterested staff (e.g. waiters barely moving and not able to recognize "red wine" asked from them in english, stale citrus fruit in the bar, overall apathetic feeling from many of the staff).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank annabura
Wicklow
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We are an Irish family of 3 - 2 adults and 1 10 year old boy. We spent 4 days in Opio in June 2009 before joining friends for a week in a villa. Overall we really enjoyed the experience. It was our 1st experience of a club med or any kind of resort holiday and obviously resorts are not for everyone so with that in mind here are the highlights and lowlights!
Lovely provencal location - ringed by hills, close to pleasant characterful towns like Valbonne, Opio and Grasse.
Temperatures - lower than on the coast at the same time - felt like 25 c or so which was just perfect for us - never overpowering, warm enough to lie in togs but never broke into a sweat
Accomodation - excellent - recently and tastefully renovated - think taupes and ochre palette, power showers etc. Interconnecting rooms were excellently designed - not enormous, but enough. A small complaint might be that the rooms were not large enough to allow you to stay there for any length daytime - so personal time and space can be a little hard to carve out in a busy resort. But nonetheless very comfortable - beds super (reminded us of Marriott Druids Glen in Wicklow, although a lot smaller).
Food - the shock was to realise that the food is served buffet style, and some might say canteen style - the serving area seems quite industrial. The happy surprise was to realise that the quality really was very good, and the themes and variety reasonable. There is excellent choice, and many hot dishes are cooked to order. The buffet does get a bit samey though - and my husband and i agreed that anything over a week would just be too much for us - a bit like a cruise on land. Mid-day buffet is a large and generous as the evening meal, so the danger of piling on the pounds is ever present.
Restaurant Ambience - Only one main evening restaurant where everyone must dine - definately a minus for me - its certainly very buzzy - and very noisy. A long distance to walk too from the back of the restaurant if, like us, you appear late - veterans obviously know the score and pitch up early for the best seats. At lunch you can also dine at the golf club restaurant - small, very pleasant, with beautiful calm countryside/golf course views. Far nicer - but not open in the evenings.
Facilities - Can't comment on any childrens' clubs which my 10 year old had no interest in . If your chidren are younger and were willing to go the the clubs then I have to say that constitutes fantastic added value, and a wonderful package for the parents. The childrens' club takes place in a gorgeous dedicated building away from the main drag which looks very pleasant, and has its own adjoining childrens' pool.
We had tennis lessons every morning - excellent and great fun - 12 excellent courts. Archery near by was fun. Gave petanque a shot in passing - fun. Trapeze school is the real thing amazing - though you need to be staying a week to take that from a Monday, but my 10 year old said he would definately love to give it a go if we ever went again. Driving range is free to use, as is 9 hole golf course - which my husband said was fairly pedestrian, but was perfect for a family round. Take note that clubs and balls must be hired however, so the round set us back about e50 - so not entirely inclusive.
Main pool is very pleasant, and not very crowded on the last week in June. But the jewel in the crown for adults is a fabulous 20 metre adult-only infinity pool in a quiet area, surrounded by olive groves which would do any 5* spa proud. Its gorgeous and definately one for destressing. Didn't try the gym or spa - site is a little hilly and plenty big to actually enjoy a decent walk.
Entertainment - well, this is where Butlins (remember that?!) comes to mind. All the GOs you have encountered in various guises during the day now reapper in new ones. Some of the shows aren't have bad at all, and the kids love them..... think high quality school concert meets panto.
All in all - great for families, particularly of mixed ages. Freedom to roam for the older ones and space for adults to chill. A week would be ample - 2 weeks of the buffet would drive you mad. Value for money? As with all resorts great if you use sufficient of the facilities - in our case the price was 4* by irish standards - and therefore pricey expecially for good but not 4* food. But probably good value by the standards of the South of France. Would go again, although looking at La Palmyre for the next visit. Enjoy!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Essex
Reviewed May 1, 2009

This was our first club med, having done umpteen Mark Warners/some Neilson and Sunsail. This club is open all year, set in the hills above Cannes and although busy, it was well run with all staff speaking degrees of English. We made many friends with most guests from Paris, who also spoke some English despite trying my school French on them. The cosy bar du loup had great live singers/musicians. The local village of Valbonne was great and walkable. It is a hilly resort so keeps you fit just walking round it. All inclusive- in all stylish and good value.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opio
Chateau de la Begude
#1 of 1 in Chateauneuf de Grasse
Le Mas Candille
Le Mas Candille
#1 of 13 in Mougins

Been to Club Med Opio Provence? Share your experiences!