La Merced del Alto
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsbeautiful hotelone nightlittle bitsurrounding mountainsnice restaurantfirst floorwonderful settingspoke little englishrooms are spacioustwo nightsstunning viewsconventdinnertownargentinawineroad
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel looks like the pictures you can find on the web. The staff was friendly and professional. The decoration was exactly the one you can expect in an estancia (maybe a little bit oldschool for young people). The rooms are very spacious and the bathroom too. You can find there many great choices of wines from around the region. The wine cellar was very biutiful. We just were a little bit disappointed by the dinner and by the cold water of the swimming pool. But we appreciate a lot the area and the amazing view we had at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julien V
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during our 3 week honeymoon in Argentina. We stayed n the honeymoon suite which seemed to take up the entire top floor! A massive apartment with bedroom, living room and large balcony. The hotel itself was very relaxing, lovely staff and we had a great meal (even though we were the only ones in the restaurant which made it a bit lonely!). I've read mixed reviews about this hotel on this forum so maybe it has changed since we stayed there in December 2007 but overall we loved it!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank issymac77
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel looks exactly like it does in the previous travelers' photos. From driving up it appears institutional, perhaps like an old insane asylum. It is not exactly that way, however, as you enter and notice a very log cabin like feel in the main room, with a fire going at night and a 24 hour bar across the room, with wonderfully gracious staff, decent prices and fine wine from the region. They play 60s-70s blues music at night, with different playlists throughout the day. It's a very warm and colorfully decorated interior. The breakfast is very good, as well. The rooms are much nicer than the bare, blank hallways might indicate. When we entered the room at night the bed sheets were turned down and candles were lit inside the room. They offered wine glasses if you brought your own bottle. The restaurant's version of prepared llama was sensational, and the roquefort ravioli was also dynamite. Many great choices of wines to choose from around the region. Gabriella, I believe that is her name, took wonderful care of us at the bar and around the whole hotel. She took us down to the wine cellar and we selected a wine from a high altitude vineyard from Cachi, then she brought it to us in front of the fire and we were able to truly relax after a wild, wild drive.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I’ve stayed one night with my wife. We wanted to do a bourgeois tour of the Valles Calchaquies and we where interested in nice hotels and great restaurants. In Cachi, I guess this one is the best you can get. It certainly is a good hotel. Its beautiful colonial building is located at the top of a hill. You have wonderful views of the valley and of the “Nevado de Cachi” (the highest mountain of the area which has perennial snow). The swimming pool is just beside a cliff and the panorama is magnificent.
We dine at the hotel since dinner is included in the rate. We paid USD 180 (not in high season) and I believe it’s totally worthy.
Just one word about service. Contrary to the whole province of Salta, where people are incredibly warm and service orientated, the front desk of this hotel is quite far of the local average.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2012

As you can see from my other reviews I very rarely write a poor one. I would also like to point out that I am not a disgruntled traveller - the weather was beautiful during our stay so there were no other factors that affected my review.

To start with the positives and why I give this hotel two stars rather than one - the location and setting of the hotel are beautiful and the breakfast while basic was good (fresh squeezed juices and homemade jams). This is where the positives end.

We checked in and were show to a room on the first floor (which we had requested as we heard they were nicer) to a stained duvet cover (all over) and the noise of the people next door as we zoom discovered with tiled floors and paper thin Walls we could hear everything. The lady agreed to move us to a room on the ground floor with no occupants next door (as hotel was nearly empty). The first room she showed us had a broken toilet and the lights didn't work. The next room (next door) was where we ended up. The room was extremely basic and sterile with no air conditioning or tv (not that I am a tv fan) - definitely not what one would expect at 200 usd a night. The real problem however was the bathroom, it stank of must which penetrated into the bedroom sp that I could not sleep. It looked like it was built in the 1970s with tiles from walmart in the sale section - it was hideous - as was the shower which just has a Tap like looking fixture hanging down from the ceiling.

The communal parts also felt musty and sterile and there was damp penetration visible from the fireplace. The dinner was pretty bad and Luke warm - a menu that looked good but tasted awful.
And the pool was filled with dirt and grime and very uninviting.

We had paid for two nights but checked out after one. Nobody asked us why we were leaving early despite having paid for the next night. They seemed indifferent. Pretty poor and shows they have no interest in improving.

When we got in the car with our guide I asked if many people liked the hotel - he said no only the local argentinians. He also said they try to give the owners feedback but they will not listen. I hope they will listen to mine.

I don't understand how this hotel was built 7 years ago. I understand rustic and keeping the hotel with character and in good taste but this place is pretty grubby. I think they get away withnthe conditions as there are very few options in the area. Estancia colome down the road is stunning, but unfortunately has been shut as the owner wants it solely for his own personal use. It is so disappointing as it has all the characteristics of what a beautiful hotel in the area should have. I only wish the owners of this hotel would go visit there and renovate their tired hotel with modern conveniences (or cavas wine lodge in mendoza where we are now staying which is amazing!!).

In the meantime I would skip cachi all together. Go to cafayate (which has an easier and more impressive drive than cachi),stay at the grace hotel there which is opening shortly and looks lovely), and do they drive over to the quedrabra de las fletchas (sp) and maybe lunch at colome (though it's quite far). This hotel is definitely NOT worth the journey until it has been massively smartened up and soundproofed.

Room Tip: First floor - though note all Walls paper thin and you will hear your neighbours
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple