“Small, Excellent, Family run restuarant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashpamanta

Ashpamanta
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Cachi
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Small, Excellent, Family run restuarant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

This little restaurant (seats 10-15) is a long block off the main plaza (on the side with the church). It is run by a young couple who do everything. The open kitchen allows you to watch the food preparation from the dining area while listening to music and enjoying some wine. We don't speak Spanish and the couple didn't speak English yet we managed to pantomime and use visual displays to help us choose our entrees. The pasta dishes were made from scratch with fresh ingredients and everything about the meal was excellent.

• Visited October 2013

• Finnish first
Brussels, Belgium
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

This amazing little restaurant (seats about 14) is on a street off the main plaza in Cachi. The couple who cooks and serves proudly offers a few dishes. These are made from scratch in the kitchen which you can observe from a couple of meters away. Yesterday evening we had the quinoa risotto, pizza for the kids, for desert cayote (sort of a sweet squash jam) and a flan; tonight we had vegetarian lasagna and sorentinos for the kids. For desert we had the spicy chocolate ice cream and the lemon ice cream.
All the dishes were made after we ordered, including the pizza, from scratch, the lasagna, fresh pasta from the hand-turned machine, and the boys' orange juices (hand squeezed -- they had to run out and get more oranges).
It takes time to make, so you have to wait a bit, but you don't get impatient listening to the music and drinking, for instance, a great Torrontes wine (40 pesos, or about 4.50 USD if you change money on the street), and seeing your food made as you wait.
Not only is the food healthy, it is very tasty.
We've been travelling in the US and Argentina for the past 3 months and this is the best meal so far. Outstanding.

The chef is quiet and seems a bit shy but he's proud of his food and gets a big grateful smile when you tell him how good it is.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Les V
San Francisco, California
“An Oasis of Food and Music”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

It's small, dark, and cozy, and the food and wine was very, very good. Everything was exceptional in flavors as well as portion size (we had leftovers for our drive the next day). I'm far from being a vegetarian myself, but if I could find vegetarian food this good where I live: I just might become one. The staff was delightful and the chef played the most soothing music, singing and chanting along as she cooked. I caught myself humming along with her a couple of times. I know this sounds corny, but I feel like it was as close to having a "magical" experience in a restaurant as I've ever come. Difficult to explain.

Just GO...if you're lucky enough to be in Cachi. I will probably go hundreds of kilometers out of my way just to have a meal in this place again...I just hope there's an empty seat for me when I get there.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Intimate dinner with inspired food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stumbled into this quaint little restaurant just of the main plaza in Cachi during our last trip of the Vuelta del Valle, and we're very happy we did. The restaurant, small, welcoming and family-run fits in perfectly with the tiny town and is decorated with artesanias and low lit candle lighting. The music was a combination of folklorica and soft jazz which set the mood perfectly for the night that followed.

There are only 4 tables and the bar gives way to an exposed kitchen which gives the feel of Cachi's first closed door restaurant. The service is friendly, and although not rushed everything about this restaurant (and Cachi for that matter) will make you want to savor your time here. There is also a nice local wine list featuring wines from la ruta del vino around Cachi, Cafayate, and Salta.

The food was spectacular, everything was made fresh from scratch and very wholesome, slow food. While I believe the restaurant did serve meat, everything we ordered was vegetarian and extremely delicious. We started with Andean empenadas (goat cheese, quinoa, and basil) which were exceptional. For entrees we ordered and shared a salad (avocados, tomatoes, olives, quinoa, lentils, etc.) and a home-made Sorrentino stuffed with walnuts, goat cheese, and quinoa. The pasta was made fresh to order, in fact I saw the chef rolling out the dough as we were eating the first course. The pasta was also accompanied by a slightly spicy tomato vegetable ragú cooked with the famous Torrontes white wine. For dessert we ate Chocolate ice cream that had cayenne pepper sprinkled on it, which was creamy, fiery, and inspired by local tastes.

Overall the meal and the entire experience was unforgettable! This tiny, vegetarian-friendly restaurant specializes in regional flavor and farm fresh products combined with the philosophy of wholesome foods made to be enjoyed thoroughly! Not only was it the best meal we had in the Valle, but it was also is the best meal I have had in Argentina in a long time!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Luke E
Santiago, Chile
“Best meal we had in Argentina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Amazing flavours. Wholesome food, sophisticated without being pretentious. This is a very cosy family run restaurant.

• Visited July 2013