“Wake up Owners! This place could be so much better.”
Review of Ric's Grill - CLOSED

Ric's Grill
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Ric's Grill in St. Albert is a perfect place for either a business meeting or a lazy lunch with family and friends. Our lunch menu has a full array of soups, salads, and Ric's signature dishes. Our dinner menu combines traditional and original items with influences from around the world. At Ric's we take great pride in serving you the best.
Spruce Grove, Canada
“Wake up Owners! This place could be so much better.”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Let me start off by asking the Owners of Ric’s Grill in St. Albert to wake up and do something for this location. It should be so much better than it is.
We were looking for a Ric’s on the west end of Edmonton. Google search shows a Ric’s Grill in Terwillegar, but please note that the website for ricsgrill.com does not include Edmonton Terwillegar. St. Albert showed so we went there.
After making a reservation, we arrived on Sunday night, Nov 10th on time at 6:30pm. There was no one there at the door desk station and started our first wait of the night. I mentioned to my wife after a while that there was a noticeable absence of any serving staff anywhere in the large restaurant and no bartender. I also noticed it was very cool in the room but I thought it was because we were beside the door. After what seemed like 5 minutes our waitress for the night came up and we advised of our reservation. She seemed frustrated and stressed, when she looked and found our booth table that was to be reserved for us was still dirty from the last patrons. She asked us to wait while they prepared the table and offered us a bare table and two chairs just beside the front door. No problem we offered. After another 10 minutes of nothing a large group of 10 mature and professionally looking adults arrived and asked for a table. They blocked out our view of most the restaurant and then both they and we continued our wait. There was a grouping of high top tables and stools directly in front of them by the bar that could have been used. No one was sitting at the bar or around it. They did not take advantage of the seats nor were offered the seats. At 7pm our waitress came around the mob at the door that were now not happy and exclaimed she was surprised we were taken to our table because it had been ready for over 5 minutes. We were taken to the group of booths in the middle of the room in front of the kitchen entrance and started our next wait after she said she would be back to take our drink orders. The booth was plain and the candle/light was not lit. I asked if they were short staffed tonight and she said yes, the manager took off and one of the girls phoned in sick. She said the asst’ manager was helping, but throughout the night I did not see that. I took off my jacket but my wife left her winter coat on because of the cold breeze around us, especially at our feet. There is a back door on the west wall and patrons were regularly using it to go to the parking lot. We used the front street close to the front entrance and not the rear parking lot. Since it was minus 17C that night, there was a lot of cold air coming into the restaurant. Should this not be fixed?
At 7:10 she was back and by then we had our bottle of wine picked and our choices for appy’s and mains. Much to our surprise, after my wife ordered a filet mignon steak, she announced they were out of the filet, so she had to re-consider her choice of steak. About that time, two patrons walked out in a huff after telling something to the asst’ mgr. They were in the upper east section and there was not a lot of service going on up there. Shortly after the two upset patrons left, the group of 10 turned heels and left also. I noticed it was 7:15 and I don’t think anyone came in after that and we left at 9pm. No second sitting as this place. But back to our story. After our order we continued to wait and after 10 minutes she came back with two glasses of water and announced she was surprised that our wine was not brought to us. Now we were convinced that the wait staff are not working together. She brought the wine and then advised we should have been brought some bread by now, but she saw our bread order was burnt so she asked for a fresh order and that was to be brought out shortly. The appetizers were brought out for us to share and you can see the nice presentation. But the cilantro seafood cakes were too much breading and not enough seafood or cilantro to taste and the overwhelming flavours of the mayo/garlic type sauce and balsamic vinegar overpowered the cakes. The crab and shrimp stuffed mushrooms were very small with the cheese blanket smothering the taste also. Half way through the appy’s the bread arrived. A basket of partially sliced white loaf with two small balls of butter in a dish. The bread was cool but fresh so certainly was not just freshly baked. Why wouldn’t the kitchen simply cut the break all the way through and forget the cutting knife that came stuck lengthways through the loaf? They gave us no cutting board, we just had small side plates and it was just uncomfortable having to take the full loaf out to cut one piece off. And two small balls of butter were totally inadequate for that much bread. Just a waste of food we thought. The mains arrived one at a time by our waitress. Strange that they would not come together. Again pictures are provided and the mains were considered the best of the meal. My salmon special was really not special, just seemed like a baked piece not grilled as advertised with some sundried tomato paste on top. My vegetables were perfectly cooked and I had a huge side of white rice mixed with some sliced veggies. I was not provided butter or soya sauce. My wife’s New York strip was more medium than the medium rare she ordered. It was topped with a huge dollop of boursin cheese surrounded by a merlot reduction. There was a lot of boursin cheese left over after the steak was done. Our waitress was around but again seemed overworked. She never poured the wine after the first serving, nor pushed more drinks or desert.
We paid using a $50 gift certificate, which was the main reason we went to Ric’s, and it was humorous to see her try and subtract 50 from $127.57 to get the right price to use for the debit card. After paying she left our bill folder on the table with the $50 gift certificate still inside. Why she would not have taken the gift certificate with the debit machine and her copy of the paper slip I do not know. Maybe there are not many people giving out Ric’s Grill gift certificates? We left it on the table, shaking our head.
On the way out I pushed the front door to leave and pinched my fingers between the glass and the metal grill that I thought was the push bar. It is not, just a flexible metal decoration over the glass, and you need to use a door knob to open the door. Should that door not be a push open for fire code reasons? Also, the exterior front patio area looks forlorn and begging winter decorations. Could you not brighten it up with lights and something festive?
I also do not understand the upstairs bathrooms. That is quite the hike up the stairs. The bathroom needed cleaning and was confused at the large size of the toilet area which is designed for wheelchair access. I do understand there is a handicap bathroom under the stairs by the bar. But those stairs are a barrier to a lot of people and I would not be bringing my in-laws to this place.
In summary, the management are not doing their job here. The place is in need of proper staffing, working together and staff that are selling the good product you have a reputation of delivering. Perhaps some high overheads fans to get the heat down to the tables would work?

• Visited November 2013
SunnyRics, Owner at Ric's Grill, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed review of your dining experience on Nov. 10th, and I apologize that it has taken so long for our response . It is very important and helpful to us to find out where we are falling short in our customers’ eyes, and allows us to continue to improve our ambiance, food quality, and service.

Sadly, Ric’s Grill Terwillegar was the site of an unfortunate tragedy, and has since been closed. Thank you for alerting us to the fact that the Terwillegar location still shows up in Google search.

Due to personal situations with our staff, it is not uncommon to have last-minute surprises in the hospitality industry. Usually we can call for replacements, but during that particular week, we were unexpectedly short-staffed. Sadly, this affected not just our service in the restaurant, but also our inventory, as we scrambled to cover ordering supplies appropriately. Please accept our sincere apologies that your dining experience was not up to our typical Ric’s Grill standards of excellent food quality and service.

I am passing along your comments about the menu items you ordered and the bread for feedback to our kitchen staff. Thank you again for your honesty and taking the time to provide great detail.

Thank you also for your feedback about the cold air coming into the restaurant, the front door, the bathroom, and the lack of holiday decor. We will investigate these issues, so they can be remedied.

I would like to invite you to come back and enjoy the true Ric’s Grill experience for which we have become known for - at St. Albert or any of our locations in Western Canada. One of the many things that I love about this company is that we hire people who care, and it is with this confidence that I guarantee that your next experience will be far superior to your last. I will private message you to get your contact information.

Edmonton, Canada
“Every time is new experience...”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

From having such a lovely time with my husband and two children, I was quite surprised to see the poor reviews listed! The service was exemplary - our waiter was very friendly, asked if we were enjoying our food, and extra effort made by manager to find a nice drink for my youngest son who's very picky! As for the food, I thoroughly enjoyed my coconut Prawns - deliciously flavoured, and somehow reminded me of our holiday last year. Our waiter recommended the Ribs and Lamb which I have to say, were lovely, and a good size portion. Somehow I managed to conjure up enough room to share a homemade cheesecake with my husband - One word. YUM. My children also enjoyed their Mini Rics kids Burgers. The only thing I would comment on is though the main courses are quite filling, the starters could have been a little more generous, but maybe we're just a greedy family, haha. my son loved his Berrycrush so much we have had to promise to come back soon for another! Oh dear...

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank Lisa M
SunnyRics, Owner at Ric's Grill, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for your recent review of your dining experience at Ric’s Grill St. Albert last month. We really appreciate your specific feedback, and love to know when our customers are feeling the care and attention that we aim to provide.

We will review our portion sizes to make sure that we are providing good value for our appies as well.

We look forward to delighting you and your young diners again soon!

Best Regards,
Barrhead, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Service - Good Food”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a great spot to celebrate a special occasion - birthday - anniversary, or just to enjoy an evening out. - James & Debby

1 Thank James H
SunnyRics, Owner at Ric's Grill, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thanks for your compliments and we hope to celebrate with you on a regular basis!
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Poor service and over cooked steak”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

We found the service to be horrible, we where served by the manager. That being said, you would think the service would be top notch.
The food was alright, my steak came out great, my girl friends steak on the other hand came out really over done. For a $120 I'll go the keg instead!

SunnyRics, Owner at Ric's Grill, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Landon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Ric`s Grill. Your feedback is very valuable to us in letting us know what we`re doing well, as well as what needs to be improved upon.

Frankly, I`m disappointed that your food was simply "alright", because at Ric`s Grill, we strive to have each guest expect and enjoy "great" food quality and service. I have messaged you privately and hope you will be kind enough to answer a few questions so I can learn more, particularly about the unacceptable service.

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing dining experience, and my thanks for providing information about this situation so we can remedy it for the future.

Edmonton, Canada
“REVIEW - UPDATE”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My first review for this restaurant was unsatisfacotry, however after my review I was contacted by the restaurant owner/manager who explained the reason for our bad experience. He offered my wife and I a free meal which we took him up on.
The food was fantastic, server was good and the manger ensured our experience was a lot better than the first time.
I am happy to update my restaurant review.

2 Thank Normand R
SunnyRics, Owner at Ric's Grill, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Normand,

Thank you so much for giving us a second chance. We appreciate your understanding that occasionally we have an off-day and mistakes happen, and are thrilled that your second experience reflected the food and service standards that Ric’s Grill is proud of.

We look forward to our next opportunity to have you come back and delight you!