“Great Experience”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in St. Albert
Ontario, Canada
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last summer while attending a family wedding. This hotel was clean, and friendly with great amenities in the area all within walking distance. Even though it's located on a main traffic route I didn't find it too noisy. Should I find myself in the area again I'd stay here.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jaxx_52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

Seemed nice enough when we checked in. Good location for what we were doing and nice girl at the desk. But I don't remember ever spending such a poor night anywhere because of the noise. Could hear the conversation next door, people in the halls, music from downstairs at the bar and we were on the 5th floor. And these weren't rowdies we could hear, there's just no soundproofing. Told my friend and she said she'd encountered the same thing on her stays. Too bad but next time I'm going St. Albert best western.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Barb1616
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

The St. Albert Inn is in a great location, but the quality of the rooms and the facility is poor. When you walk to the elevator you are greeted with about a dozen large security cameras plastered all over every wall and corridor, so your very first impression is that the hotel is not a safe place or at least has security issues. I've stayed here many times and every time I reserve a king non-smoking room, and every time, except once, I was given a double queen room. That's really disappointing when you don't get what you reserved. This last time I was given a room that was so small I could barely squeeze around the two queen beds and the other meager furnishings. Good thing I was alone - two of us in this room would have been a nightmare. The furnishings, bedding, bathroom facilities are cheap in terms of quality. The bed, however, was comfortable and the shower was decent. If you're looking for a clean place to simply flop down for the night, the St. Albert Inn will be just fine. But if you're used to the quality of at least a Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn or better, you'll be disappointed by the lack of quality. This is in the Motel 6 or Super 8 category. I hear the new Best Western in St. Albert is far better.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the south end of the hotel. They are cramped and tiny. Ask for a "north end"...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RogerBrooks
Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Been coming here for years and the building seems to be falling apart. Stayed for a few nights this time, first night had to change rooms because the tub didn't drain - second room couldn't get hot water out of the bathtub tap - hot tub in pool was ice cold for 2 days in a row and finally the food is worth leaving the hotel.

All I want is food delivered that is not burnt, a room with working plumbing, and a pool that is working.. not gonna find it here.

Room Tip: Bring the maintenance man...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BYoda
vancouver bc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We just returned from a family gathering where all of us stayed in rooms at this hotel. We were uniformly very pleased - excellent service, free morning coffee, and very comfortable rooms and beds, with lovely linens. We asked for a suite - in our experience it was the most comfortable and best appointed we have ever stayed in. There were two separate bedrooms, each with a queen size bed plus a hide-a-bed, full kitchen and good seating for sitting around together in the evening. The hotel had a notice in the room announcing that the 'room had just been fully redone and if anything at all was missing, to please tell us right away'. They were as good as their word and truly worked to ensure that we all were comfortable. Good value and an excellent location in St. Albert. (Also I think that the hot tub temperature has been turned up - it seemed great to us.)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We had stayed in this hotel back in 2007,and back then,boy was it dated! I see that they have been going about the place and trying to reno it slowly,so It has improved somewhat. Parking firstly is a little scarce sometimes,so you can use the little extra street out in front to park,but I doubt with a family and little kids,you'd want to come back late at night,and park behind the hotel,lighted or not in that area,it joins a beer store,and we had a run in with some 'tanked up people' so that was hard for the kids to not think about what they saw that night. That aside....

The pool is nice,fun waterslide for the kids, but a little too deep for toddlers to use,and the restaurant is average,it gets you your quick fix for a breakfast before you head out. You are walking distance from some good eats though,a Shoppers drug mart,and a mini mall complex around the corner,heck...all the way down thats strip you can easily get what you might need late at night.Across the back of the hotel is a transit bus terminal too.

Our stay that weekend it rained,and rained hard and a lot,as I noticed getting in our room,the floor was wet,I seen that water was coming in around the window seals,but after talking to the front desk,only to let them know the water was dampening the carpet,and making it buldge up,we were asked if we had the air conditioner on,and that the water came from the A/C unit,and just to put a towel down there.I guess thats possible,but OH WELL.........

Overall its an experience, a budget minded hotel,good for a family,easy access to all your needs,and it stands out,so you cant miss it, and I actually found it very quiet inside.Comfy beds,and pillows,mini fridge in our room was handy too.The wireless was a little sketchy,but if you have a CAT5 cable with you,just use the plug in in your room,then its fine. They have done a lot to improve their look,I hope it gets even better the next time I'm in Edmonton.

Room Tip: phone and book ahead to get the best rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

I've stayed here a number of times over the past 4-5 years. It is reasonably priced and is a good economic alternative to staying in West Edmonton. The most important thing to know about this hotel is the North end is new(2-ish years). Although the rest of the hotel has been renovated, the new end is quite a bit nicer. I have stayed in both many times and they truly deserve different reviews here altogether. If you stay here, ask to be on the new side and you won't be disappointed at the value. The location in St. Albert is great, within walking distance of Tim Horton's, Starbucks, groceries, Boston Pizza, fast food, liquor store. The restaurant does a good breakfast, this is the only meal I have ever had there so I can't speak of lunch/dinner. The staff are friendly and helpful. The wireless internet is slow. The pool and hot tub are great and very clean. I use them often and have brought my kids before who loved the slide. My only complaint is that for years they have kept the hot tub at a temperature that is just not hot enough. The maintenance guy there always says that it's because there are regulations as to how hot you can have a hot tub being used by the public and their hands are tied. I have sat in dozens and dozens of hotel hot tubs and none are as cool as this one, so The St. Albert Inn appears to be the only hotel in Western Canada following these rules. This is a good, clean hotel that serves the business traveller or weekend getaway quite well.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Chateau Nova Yellowhead
#30 of 93 in Edmonton
Place LaRue
Hampton Inn and Suites by Hilton Edmonton/West

Been to St Albert Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!