“Mediocre at best”

Le Saint Bonnet
Ranked #45 of 70 Restaurants in Progreso
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The tradition of Yucatan port! With more than 20 years of experience...
Baghdad, Iraq
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

For such a prime location and signage, and relatively selective menu, many of the items seemed geared towards catering most likely to the European crowd. We were disappointed. It was NOT a "cruise ship" day, the TV was blaring,(wrestling-ugh). Most of the inside tables, were not even set, and the chairs all askew, with some of the staff watching the TV. Should have went with the first impression, and just left, but we decided to try it, as I said, the menu had a pretty decent selection. I had a camerones dish - average at best, not many shrimp compared to the other places we have dined in town. My husband had Chicken Fajitas, also average. Drinks, seemed watered down.. Maybe it was the end of them being busy all day? or everyone was winding down to go home? it was before the tourist season really kicked in.. there are so many other places to discover, I don't really see us returning..

• Visited December 2013

Guangzhou
“Don't go! Terrible service and dishonest”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We make frequent trips to Progresso and had never tried Le Saint Bonnet. The gentleman outside (trying to bring in business) told us that if we ate at a table inside that we could use a table outside for free after eating. This is a common custom in Progresso. After we ate and spent around $50 USD (remember you are in Mexico) we went out to the table.

Soon the waiters came and told us we couldn't be there. I explained to them we had just eaten and they said we could be here. I checked with our waiter inside as well. Then I left the table and the waiter came back and harassed my husband. He bought a beer to keep the waiter quiet. I came back and they said we had to buy more.

I speak fluent Spanish and explained again that we had eaten inside and were told by the person at the door and our waiter that we could be there.

Then the same gentleman (well not so much) came and started arguing with me and yelling that we couldn't just sit there how awful we were to try and take some honest persons money. Again I speak 100% fluent Spanish and was born in Mexico. I understood everything he said. I told him we wouldn't have eaten there, we would have gone to our normal restaurant but we thought we would try it out and since we could use their tables afterwards it seemed okay to spend the extra money on the food. It isn't cheap by Mexican standards and the food was okay.

He continued to argue with me. Out of the blue he finally said that he DID RECOGNIZE ME and he was so sorry. We COULD SIT THERE. Seriously. We are a couple with two small children and one with big blue eyes. He even had brought little trinkets for the kids while we ate. How could he have forgotten us in a matter of 30 minutes.

I believe they try to take advantage of foreigners (my husband doesn't speak spanish) and wanted us to buy more from them. However how dare he sit and yell at me.

It was an awful experience and I will NEVER go back. I suggest you walk a little further down the beach and there are some other wonderful restaurants where the waiters aren't trying to scam you.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank InternationalCraving
Rome, Georgia
“Energetic staff and great food”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We arrived in Progreso on a Carnival ship and had planned on relaxing at the public beach for the day. When we got to the beach, Francisco practically ran over to us to offer the services of free beach chairs if we bought food at the restaurant. Fair enough... Luis was our waiter and made sure we had plenty of food and drink options. We actually ordered chicken fajitas (because they receive fresh chicken every day). They were very tasty! Check 'em out the next time you are in Progreso!

• Visited May 2013
montreal
“uneven”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have eaten at this resto several times during the month of February. It is uneven and I think a lot depends on two things: the chef and whether or not it is cruise ship day. The sopa de lima is consistently good, but other items really depend on the chef and how many people ate there during the day. The service is usually very good. SOmetimes the young waiters do not know much but they are always asking the more senior waiters. the menu is more extensive than at a lot of other restos in the area. On balance it is a pretty good resto for PRogreso.

Visited February 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Disgusting Restaurant”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stopped here based on the positive review in the Rough Guide (one of many, either horribly outdated or just bad reviews in that guidebook). The food was borderline inedible - greasy, tough seafood. We were grateful that we did not get sick after eating there. the restaurant is very close to the long pier and its cruise ship. We found that part of Progreso (and maybe there is a more charming part that we missed) extremely unappealing - dirty, crowded, full over vendors and beggars waiting. Our short lunch was interrupted some 10 times by different vendors and beggars and the restaurant did nothing to prevent them from wandering through. In addition to being terrible, the food was also relatively expensive - $40 USD for lunch for two.

• Visited January 2013