“Disappointment in Progreso” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Progreso B&B and Inns
British Columbia
“Disappointment in Progreso”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We set out for Progreso with high hopes of a week of sun and surf. (It’s about 40 minutes north by taxi from Mérida.) We had reservations in the bag for a week at Playa Linda, located right across from the beach. It was billed as a new hotel on their website and showed well. Unfortunately, the hotel is SO NEW that it´s not finished! One day it will be a great place to stay, but right now is not the time to try it out.

When we arrived and heard all the banging and drilling, I asked if we could shorten our stay to 2 days. The receptionist spoke no English, so this would have been impossible if I couldn´t have negotiated a bit in Spanish. She phoned the owner and he said it was okay. The workers would only be at it from 9 AM to 6 PM (and they did hold to that). Since we planned on a lot of time at the beach and sight-seeing, this didn´t seem to be a problem at the time.

However, while on a walk the first afternoon, the rain started, unusual for that time of year, we were told. Of course, we don’t blame anyone for the rain! And the drizzle turned into a full-blown tropical storm in no time, with winds of 80 km. (50 miles) per hour and rain pouring down in buckets. We had a hard time finding a restaurant open (fortunately, I had an umbrella) as most places shut down while we were in Progreso. No sun, no tourists!

When I got up around midnight, I got the shock of my life as I stepped into an inch of water. I screamed, my hubby got up, and checked out what was happening out in the hall. He discovered a river running down the hall from a skylight which had not yet been completed! The staff was obviously aware of the situation, as they had tried to keep the water out of our room with rolled-up towels. Men in bare feet were running up the scaffolding outside the window in an effort to stop the leak; my heart went out to them. Since no water was coming into the room from our ceiling, our only option was to go back to bed and wait for the morning.

The next day the wind abated somewhat and the rain stopped which allowed us to explore the town and marina with its many fishing boats waiting out the storm. With more ideal weather conditions and a fully completed hotel, our stay in Progreso would have been a delight. As it was, we headed back to Mérida and the Hotel Santa María (see my review on that one) for the rest of the week.

Room Tip: We had room #4 (east side of the hotel; see photo). It has a wee balcony where you can sit and watc...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Leona62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

First things first: the room I stayed in was the one in the pictures provided by management, and it is as described. It's a nice room. No doubt. And when it's finished, it'll be a nice hotel. But it's not finished (see pictures). This didn't have any tangible affect on my stay; the construction workers hadn't started by 0945 when I left on a Monday morning so my sleep was fine.

Progreso isn't blessed with a huge variety of hotel options and Playa Linda is by far the newest, most modern. Reception staff were pleasant enough and patient of my poor Spanish. They'll be getting a lot of English-speaking guests though (massive cruise ships now call into the port), so they might want to consider that. The room was modern, but needs better attention to detail. The master suite (1,000 Mexican / 78 USD / 60 Euros / 50 GBP) is effectively a studio flat, with a working kitchen, and if you're going to provide a working kitchen you need to provide cutlery, plates and such. It didn't matter to me, but might to someone else. Some of the furniture had bumps and scratches, one of the kitchen cupboards wasn't hung properly (it still worked), one of the ceiling fans had rust (it still worked), the lighting's a bit bright (for my personal preference). The windows are very dirty and the balcony railing had chunks of hardened plaster along it, both because of the construction above.

Also, one of the wifi connections (there are two networks you can use) doesn't service the room I was in (no. 2) very well. The other network was fine.

Bed and pillow are comfortable. I slept well.

In summation; the works are ongoing so perhaps by the time you visit they'll be completed.

Room Tip: Dead simple: there are two rooms at the front with a sea view. If you want a sea view, take one of t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ADInglis
Fuerth, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Me and my wife where looking for nice hotel for the the weekend at the beach. We found this wonderful hotel with very nice service. The stuff was very helpful. The location in the middle of the stip with many places to go to.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Alexander A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Progreso
Progreso Beach Hotel
#1 of 3 in Chicxulub
Hotel Yaxactun
Hotel Yaxactun
#7 of 14 in Progreso

Been to Playa Linda Hotel? Share your experiences!