“Totally awesome kite spot, villa & people”

Kite Beach Yucatan Kiteboarding School
Ranked #6 of 14 things to do in Progreso
More attraction details
Owner description: The beaches of Yucatan are excellent for kiteboarding with calm seas all year round and no strong currents it's an ideal place for learning.10 months of wind a year makes it one of the most promising places in this sport in Mexico and many parts of the world.
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Totally awesome kite spot, villa & people”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I just spent 2 weeks kiting at this awesome spot. It's amazing to still find a spot where you can have lots of space and great consistent wind. The school is really well equipped & as I was hiring gear, I was able to kite every condition on brand new equipment which was awesome. Jessica & Nick the owners were amazing. They were always there to help, give advice & encouragement. They got me trying new tricks which really helped with my confidence & fun levels & also happily rescued me a few times too which is always really reassuring! It's really inspiring being taught by a pro-rider too & Jessica was endlessly encouraging.

The villa was bright, big & spacious with really big bathrooms & bedrooms & hammocks for chilling out in. It was so lovely being able to hear the constant sound of the sea from every room & falling asleep & waking up to that every day. It was also really cool being able to hang out with kiters from all around the world as they passed through & we had some really fun nights in the villa & out at local restaurants & bars.

It's great being so close to Merida because you can choose the totally chilled pace of Progreso and the villa or head out for dinner & drinking in Progreso or Merida no problem.

I had a great time here & I'd definitely recommend the spot to anyone looking to get some great kiting in, the chill out, meet people & to hang out with the totally awesome Jessica & Nick.

Grand Cayman
“Awesome spot, Awesome wind, Awesome hosts ;-)”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was my first time in Mexico and i was a little scared because I was traveling alone however as soon as i met Jessica Winkler and Nick Hall the owners of the Kite Beach Yucatan I felt at home. They were not only very welcoming but I also knew we had so much in common with our addiction to kiting that i was for sure in for an amazing vacation.

The hostel is great really spacious and right on the beach what more could you want? Oh and its freeking windy every day. Its great morning sessions can be in the local lagoon which is butter flat, followed by a kicker filled afternoon sesh on the ocean leading to sunset if you can handle it.

Basically the wind gods did not let me down on this trip and neither did the hosts. I recommend if your wanting cranking consistent wind this is a place you must visit. You will have a blast I know i did.

Norfolk, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Up-and-coming kite spot with lots of potential!!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

From March 3-18th I stayed at KBY and did both the intermediate and advanced camp. My boyfriend joined me and stayed from March 9-18th to do the advanced camp. Before going, we tried to find wind data but couldn't find much, thus on a leap of faith believed the locals on Kite Yucas and Jessica Winkler who asserted there was wind like every day. It was true. I kited 13/13 days. Conditions required 13m 3 of the days and other 7 days an 8m, 10m, or 11m for us. Conditions are: bump and jump, quite choppy, and slightly side-on-shore (about 10 degrees from straight side shore) most days. Using windfinder or windguru an am southerly wind permits am riding in the flat water lagoon (ala Ria in Chelem) area before the wind dies out at the latest noon, often before 10am. Typically, around 2-3pm riding at KBY is possible, if the weather is hot enough, the land heats up and thus causes a thermal effect, the brisote which adds a few knots to the forecast, often a NE wind. Winds tend to build through the afternoon so one might start on a 9m or 10m and finish around 6pm on a 7m or 8m. Nortes are strong north wind (directly on-shore) which are a bit stormy in nature. Nortes tend to result in wind early in the day and possibly dying off in the afternoon. NW winds are called a Chinkenique (sp?). Glad we didn't just go off windguru or the like for data on the wind.... they base their average data on predictions which simply are incorrect!!

Vaasa, Finland
“Discovering Yucatan”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

First I thinked to rate it "Terrbile" because the holiday ENDED! and it sucks! Well.. At least the memories will last a lifetime (with this lifestyle its gonna be short..) - luckily there wasnt too much time to drink Corona & Rum at Progreso, because it was so GODDAMN windy all the time, i need to say - coming from scandinavia, we arent used to full nuking - never ending wind.. we need to have many days of calm weather so we can enjoy ourselves and drink heavily while sweating at sauna and chasing our families with axe.. WELL! Enough of this madness, here is a review of KBY:

The day we arrived (nigth 4o'clock) We were welcomed with joy! The bed was comfy and nice, bathroom LARGE and sea closely, in a few minutes we passed away to dream about our lovely homecountry which suffers from -30degrees weather and blizzards spiced up with flying polarbears. Anyway, after good sleep we ran to the beach, where we were welcomed with WIND and SUN and large beach!

Im not gonna bore you with mumblings of more happiness and joy, just shortening the story little:

KBY - the best place with warmest atmosphere, Jess & Nick greeted us with love! showed places, helped us with our lousy spanish, took us to spots and caused us few hangovers while we went to rock out into Merida! :)

Progreso: havent felt more safe anywhere else than here in the whole world, food is good and locals are friendly :) Although men tend to be interested of you - if you happen to be a guy i mean - mauhahahahahahahaha! just a joke.

So . Live Love and visit Mexico / Yucatan KBY - that's a must to do in my personal opinion:)

Sincerely Yours, dreamer and a full time liver of life, Ville

Visited January 2013
Uusikaarlepyy, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unbelievably awesome vacation!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

After traveling for nearly 40hrs from Finland by plane, bus and automobile and arriving at about 4am local time, we were shattered! but the amazing welcome we got certainly surprised me! Jessica came more than willing to the door and invited us in with open arms, offered us a drink and promised wind for the following day! what more could one need?!

Slept like kings in the very affordable shared accommodation on the second floor of the KBY hotel. The room was immaculate, with fresh towels and a great en suite bathroom. The room normally accommodates 3, but as we were the only 2 guests using it under our 2 week stay, Jess had arranged the room with two very comfortable beds which gave us ample room for all our mess! The wardrobes were very large with hangers and everything, not that we used them! haha, (the floor is the best place to hang clothes) :-)

The following morning we woke on local time fresh as a daisy. Jess was super helpful to suggest several good places to find breakfast and exactly how to get there and what to expect. We ate, pumped the kites and surfed until lunch. We didn't wanna mission into town so Jess ordered in pizza for us. Sweet. ate, surfed until the sun went down. Nick even suggested we hit some night surfing but my energy was spent for the day.

Our first day really set the standard for the amazing service we received from the KBY. It only got better. The owners and friends of KBY we so accommodating to all our needs. Every question perfectly answered and they did everything in their power to make our stay one that would never be forgot!

The beach was narrow, but clean and the water was sweet! shallow as far as would could walk and clean! stable winds of 16+ knots nearly every day of our visit (14 of 16 days) unbelievable!

We also visited many other local spots both for kiting and the touristy stuff. KBY was more than happy to make all of our arrangements and help us with our rubbish spanish! They even saved us some money! We all took the bus to Telchac, where Jess and Nick had some lessons to teach. Once they were done they suggested we save 15pesos each, and surf a 40km downwinder.....awesome!

Overall, I would highly recommend KBY for anyone of any kite surf ability! From beginners to the pros, this location offers it all. It's a proper mission to get there from Finland, but most definitely worth it, Dude, seriously!

Visited January 2013