“Discovering Yucatan”

Kite Beach Yucatan Kiteboarding School
Ranked #8 of 15 things to do in Progreso
More attraction details
Owner description: The beaches of Yucatan are excellent for kiteboarding with calm seas all year round and no strong currents it's an ideal place for learning.10 months of wind a year makes it one of the most promising places in this sport in Mexico and many parts of the world.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

First I thinked to rate it "Terrbile" because the holiday ENDED! and it sucks! Well.. At least the memories will last a lifetime (with this lifestyle its gonna be short..) - luckily there wasnt too much time to drink Corona & Rum at Progreso, because it was so GODDAMN windy all the time, i need to say - coming from scandinavia, we arent used to full nuking - never ending wind.. we need to have many days of calm weather so we can enjoy ourselves and drink heavily while sweating at sauna and chasing our families with axe.. WELL! Enough of this madness, here is a review of KBY:

The day we arrived (nigth 4o'clock) We were welcomed with joy! The bed was comfy and nice, bathroom LARGE and sea closely, in a few minutes we passed away to dream about our lovely homecountry which suffers from -30degrees weather and blizzards spiced up with flying polarbears. Anyway, after good sleep we ran to the beach, where we were welcomed with WIND and SUN and large beach!

Im not gonna bore you with mumblings of more happiness and joy, just shortening the story little:

KBY - the best place with warmest atmosphere, Jess & Nick greeted us with love! showed places, helped us with our lousy spanish, took us to spots and caused us few hangovers while we went to rock out into Merida! :)

Progreso: havent felt more safe anywhere else than here in the whole world, food is good and locals are friendly :) Although men tend to be interested of you - if you happen to be a guy i mean - mauhahahahahahahaha! just a joke.

So . Live Love and visit Mexico / Yucatan KBY - that's a must to do in my personal opinion:)

Sincerely Yours, dreamer and a full time liver of life, Ville

Reviewed February 2, 2013

After traveling for nearly 40hrs from Finland by plane, bus and automobile and arriving at about 4am local time, we were shattered! but the amazing welcome we got certainly surprised me! Jessica came more than willing to the door and invited us in with open arms, offered us a drink and promised wind for the following day! what more could one need?!

Slept like kings in the very affordable shared accommodation on the second floor of the KBY hotel. The room was immaculate, with fresh towels and a great en suite bathroom. The room normally accommodates 3, but as we were the only 2 guests using it under our 2 week stay, Jess had arranged the room with two very comfortable beds which gave us ample room for all our mess! The wardrobes were very large with hangers and everything, not that we used them! haha, (the floor is the best place to hang clothes) :-)

The following morning we woke on local time fresh as a daisy. Jess was super helpful to suggest several good places to find breakfast and exactly how to get there and what to expect. We ate, pumped the kites and surfed until lunch. We didn't wanna mission into town so Jess ordered in pizza for us. Sweet. ate, surfed until the sun went down. Nick even suggested we hit some night surfing but my energy was spent for the day.

Our first day really set the standard for the amazing service we received from the KBY. It only got better. The owners and friends of KBY we so accommodating to all our needs. Every question perfectly answered and they did everything in their power to make our stay one that would never be forgot!

The beach was narrow, but clean and the water was sweet! shallow as far as would could walk and clean! stable winds of 16+ knots nearly every day of our visit (14 of 16 days) unbelievable!

We also visited many other local spots both for kiting and the touristy stuff. KBY was more than happy to make all of our arrangements and help us with our rubbish spanish! They even saved us some money! We all took the bus to Telchac, where Jess and Nick had some lessons to teach. Once they were done they suggested we save 15pesos each, and surf a 40km downwinder.....awesome!

Overall, I would highly recommend KBY for anyone of any kite surf ability! From beginners to the pros, this location offers it all. It's a proper mission to get there from Finland, but most definitely worth it, Dude, seriously!

3  Thank SeriouslyDude
Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you are an independent kiteboarder or a complete novice, you will find Kite Beach Yucatan to be a stunning place to kiteboard. The water is shallow and the winds are perfect. Jessica is a masterful teacher, encouraging, clear and supportive. She will work with you to advance your kiting skills starting at whatever level you find yourself. I've been to lots of different kiting spots over the years, Antigua, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, Hawaii. I have also had a number of instructors. I can safely say Jessica is the best instructor I have had and that KBY is one of the best places I have kited.
The town of Progreso is an easy walk if you have some down time. If you stay at the villa you will be right on the water in a beautiful setting.

2  Thank -M-Mc-Mc
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have had about 5 lessons with Jessica and her group and loved all of them. I am pretty much the last person in the word to want to learn KiteSurfing but after meeting Jessica and seeing all the great people at her school and the local mexican Kite Surfers hanging out, I decided to give it a go. I am glad that I did.

They have broken down kitesurfing into small manageable chunks to make it easy. For example, the first lesson or two (if you are a beginner) will be you learning to control and fly the kite while standing on the beach. Later, you will use the kit to drag yourself through the water. Only when you feel completely comfortable will you get a board. You can go at your own speed and your own pace making it a perfect way to learn the sport.

An hour or two on board and your regular life and stresses fade away...it is the ultimate brain recharge!

Ch

2  Thank ryannagy
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The house sits on the water!!!!! the amenities are clean and comfortable. The wind was awesome (every day) blowing between 14 to 25. It s super safe. This is the place to learn to kite or practice your tricks or just ride. I really enjoyed it and recommend anyone who is interested in kiting to go there.

3  Thank drdino1