“Bakers Narrows Lodge Recommendation”

Bakers Narrows Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Flin Flon
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Once a year for the past 7 or so years a fellow crazy and I have driven 23 hours form Denver, Co. to stay at the lodge, fish the lake and sometimes fly out to other lakes. We have found the accommodations excellent and the equipment (boats, motors, flights etc, to be first class. It is a family run operation and the people involved are knowledgeable, professional and just fun to talk to. The guides are very accommodating and really know the lakes. I strongly recommend this lodge for a really great Canadian fishing adventure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jeff K

Reviewed June 3, 2013

During the past 5 years I have been stationed in Manitoba with The Salvation Army as the Executive Director of Golden West Centennial Lodge in Winnipeg and Dinsdale Personal Care Home in Brandon. During this time I was appointed (extra Duites) as The Salvation Army's Mens' Represenative for Manitoba and North West Ontario Division. During this time I planned and arranged a Men's Fishing Weekend at Bakers Narrows every September. I cannot express in words how the Staff and management of the Lodge treated all our men! We were spoiled with Great food and Fabulous Accomadations! Great Fishing! Great Golf and Just Great Fellowship and fo course the Scenery is just amazing. I would encourage any group to plan a weekend! You will come away feeling refreshed. If you wish to do it on a individula basis then by all means I recommend that as well. I have! Unfortunely My wife and I have just been appointed to Halifax, NS. I will certainly miss Bakers Narrows! However I am ceratin I will be making one more trip before I retire!

Room Tip: All cabins are wonderful. Book early
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Peggy B, Guest Relations Manager at Bakers Narrows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for the review Bill, we certainly enjoy hosting the Salvation Army men's group at Bakers Narrows Lodge every year. It always so nice to see the guys let loose and relax during there stay with us. The great music and fellowship you all share here is worth every bit of effort on our part.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Bakers Narrows and it was amazing. Wonderful scenery and beautiful lakes. This is for sure somewhere to check out if you love the outdoors, fishing, hiking or just for that lazy getaway.

Room Tip: For a little more privacy from other cabins I would suggest cabins 14 or 15. Also, only some have w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leann B
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I'm a little skeptical about the February 2012 review. I'm wondering when they stayed there, because you don't rent boats, nor bike around the lake in February. For one, the lake is frozen, and the temperature in February is around -40C/-40F or colder that time of year. Locals might have an ice shack out on the lake. The 4 star ratings are a little too generous in my opinion. The Lodge's store and restaurant burned down in February 2012, so I did not think they were serving meals in March 2012. At least they were unable to do that in June 2012, when we were there.

Anyway, here is my opinion, for what it is worth. I should tell you, I lived in The Pas, MB from 1972 - 1978, and have been back numerous times to visit family & friends over the years. The Pas is 1 hr South of Baker's Narrows. I'm familiar with the area, all the way to Thompson, MB.

I recently attended my nephew's wedding at Baker's Narrows. Our group occupied majority of the log cabins (16? cabins), all but 2. We stayed overnight on Friday, June 29 & Saturday June 30 in cabin #11. It was located close to the playground, the recreation building, and the tent where the wedding reception and dance took place.

The cabins are nestled in the trees, so they are well shaded, which would help keep the interiors cooler on hot Summer days. We walked up the stairs to our deck, and we were immediately bombarded by a mob of mosquitos!!! I brought my KONK! Gave the deck area a little spray. That cleared it of the mosquitos for the duration of our stay. Saw only a few on our deck after that. The cabin windows were all closed, so they were not aired out; thus, upon entry you were hit by the strong 'musty' smell, which is common in areas where there is humidity. We opened the windows, and it aired out quick enough.

The kitchen area was small, but serviceable, and clean. There was a fridge, stove top, and microwave, all the dishes & pots & pans, cutlery that anyone would need. It gives you the feel that you are camping, but you're in a more comfortable setting. They provided us with 1 dishcloth, and 1 tea small tea towel. We could have used 2 tea towels.

Speaking of towels: There were 3 staying in the cabin, and we were each provided with 1 face cloth, 1 hand towel, and 1 tiny bath towel, which felt like course sand paper when drying yourself. This is a business; therefore, they are able to purchase these items from various wholesale companies at extremely cheap prices. So if I can buy a good quality, and size of bath towel for $10 at The Bay or Walmart on sale, then as a business, they should be able to purchase a similar quality for $2 or $3 for a small bath towel, $1 or less for a face cloth. As my significant other stated ... no one will be stealing them! lol At $210+/night ... knowing those costs to them ... that bothers me.

There were 2 bedrooms, one room with 2 twin beds, and the other with a double bed. I brought my own pillow, and I was glad, because theirs were really hard. They were flat, and there was no give to them.
Living area was about 10' X 10' with a small couch & 2 chairs, that were not the most comfortable, and showed a lot of wear. We were not in our room a lot, so it didn't bother us.

The deck had a B.B.Q. Since we were there for a wedding, we were not cooking.

My biggest beef, and probably only beef was cleanliness, which was definitely lacking, yet not lacking.

Housecleaning came in and cleaned the bathroom & kitchen floors, bathroom sink, shower stall, kitchen sink & counter top, made beds. But they seriously overlooked the dusty cobwebs that hung from all the light fixtures, and in the corners of every wall. It was difficult to not notice them hanging from the light fixture over the dining table. I couldn't help notice them when I was washing my hands in the bathroom sink, and when I looked up ... there they were at eye level in the corners of the walls. Now I'm looking for them, and I see them everywhere! I'm not impressed, because the fact there is dust hanging off these cobwebs is indicative that they've been there awhile. Possibly since Summer 2011? I hate spiders. I have a phobia of spiders. I know spiders are in cabins, but I don't want to see the evidence! Forget any spider phobias, cleaning staff should be pulling out there dusters to clean off the light fixtures. Owners of the Lodge should be doing walk throughs to ensure the cabins are cleaned thoroughly. Guests should not be seeing dusty cobwebs hanging in the corners of all the walls! Walls do not have to be washed down everyday, but maybe every Spring, at the start of the season. Thereafter, maybe once/month ... do 1 cabin per day in the month of July, and by mid-July, all the walls have been cleaned again. It's not rocket science.

We came back to our cabin on Saturday afternoon, when housecleaning was in our cabin, they had the doors wide open! I'm sorry, but this is mosquito country ... millions of mosquitos. I worked hard the night before to clear the cabin of mosquitos, so it we could sleep without them buzzing in our ears, and biting us in our sleep. Duh! Close the screen door! Despite my sarcasm here, I was polite when I asked the gal to keep the screen door closed, so the mosquitos don't come inside.

On the deck, there were 2 patio chairs (no table), which were covered in dirt/leaves & cob webs. They were filthy. I wasn't sitting in them, nor touching them to clean them off! They looked like what my deck chairs at home look like after I have left them outside over the Winter. Someone should have cleaned them prior to anyone staying in this cabin. The Lodge's season began May long weekend, and these chairs did not look like they had been cleaned since being used last Summer. This was not just at our cabin, I noticed it at several other cabins too, but the young people didn't mind cleaning them off. Sorry, when I'm paying $210/night, I think it should already have been done. That is part of keeping the cabin area clean. Not just inside the cabin.

This is a rustic cabin, with rustic furniture, and the lodge charges $210.00/night plus 5% GST, and 7% PST. It's not inexpensive accommodation. And due to the lack of cleanliness, I'd rate this a 2.5 star. If they cleaned it up better, then I'd give it a 3 star, but no more. This is not even close to being a 4 star, unless you're comparing it to a tent!

I've stayed at Wekusko Falls Lodge, and the cabins are larger, and nicer. We had a cabin with a creek running by our deck. It was gorgeous! It cost less than $100/night, and the fishing was awesome! Granted you must drive 3 hrs further North toward Snow Lake to get there.

The cobwebs and leaving our screen door wide open while cleaning our room was my only real issue or beef with Baker's Narrows Lodge.
Otherwise, the area is beautiful. You could rent boats, or paddle boats on the lake. We didn't have time to fish, but I imagine the fishing is very good, and if you hired a guide, they could take you to the best fishing spots.

There was a fire pit outside, which at our cabin was not situated in the best spot. It was too close to the bush, so people could only sit around 2/3's of the fire pit.

I believe they are getting ready to reconstruct a new store and restaurant. The old one had burned down in February 2012, so can't comment on food service.

BEWARE! If you are travelling anywhere in the North country, come prepared with your BUG SPRAY! You will see some mosquitos during the day, and lots of deer flies/horse flies ... which you'll know if they bite, because it hurts! The deer flies die by the end of July or early August. The heat kills them.
But mosquitos, once the sun goes down, they come out in droves! Even sitting by the fire, you can have 10+ swarming around your face...that's just your face! I sprayed myself with Sportman OFF, that had 30% DEET. You need it. I don't like putting chemicals like that on my skin, but 2 days out of 365 ... I'll live.

I bought a Citronella pail, that supposedly keeps the mosquitos away. HA! Don't waste your money. The burning candle drew the mosquitos to the light ... there were a dozen mosquitos hovering over the citronella pail.

I've stayed at SKOKI Lodge in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, where Prince William took his new bride Kate July 2011. It was extremely clean, beautiful scenery & location. It cost $140/night per person (mid-January), $240(peak season)/night per person. This price included a 3 course gourmet breakfast, lunch, hot homemade soup, afternoon tea with scones/fresh baked cookies, and a 5 course gourmet dinner. This was a 4 - 5 star experience. You Cross-country ski, snow shoe, or hike 11 km in the Winter, or hike in Summer the 11 km through 2 mountain passes (Boulder Pass & Deception Pass). So I'm not a wimp here, being overly critical. I can compare to other cabins I've stayed at, in various outback locations.

As well, Sedona, Arizona cabins, again beautiful scenery, and super clean cabins, with posh down comforters & pillows costing $200/night. No meals. A 4 star accommodation.

Everyone thought I was being harsh, when I said this was a 2.5 star place... until they heard what we were paying per night. When they thought the cost was $110/night, they considered the Lodge to be a 3.5 to 4 star. But when they learned the cost was $210/night ... no meals ... they agreed with me, that it was a 2.5 to 3 star only.

If you are looking for a Northern experience, to go fishing with your family, you will have a wonderful time here. Like me, over look the dusty cobwebs. Maybe the owners will read this and take action. And if you are a group of fishing buddies, or hunters in the Fall ... a guy experience ... you'll love it!

The cobwebs did not ruin my stay, and won't ruin yours either. I just feel at $210+/night ... I shouldn't be seeing them.

As for the wedding ... it was beautiful. A huge tent was set up. Lots of light came in through the plastic windows, but unfortunately, no air. It was getting way too hot, so the guys took down one wall. Mosquitos found us after dark, but I guess we were too busy dancing to notice! Due to the fire in Feb. the Lodge was unable to cater the wedding, so I can't comment on their culinary skills. But the Victoria House (I think that's what it was called) from Flin Flon did an excellent job on catering dinner. The recreation building had pingpong, and a large kitchen area with 2 large sinks, 2 refrigerators, and stoves. We were able to set up our own breakfast buffet for everyone on Sunday morning.

The wedding was absolutely beautiful. Check out was at 11 a.m. I inquired if we could have a late check out at noon, but there were 8 cabins that definitely had to be out by 11, as people were coming in, and they cleaning staff needed to get into clean. I walked around to let everyone know. It was already 10:45 a.m. Well ... after partying into the wee hours of the morning, I had to wake everyone up! Only a few of us vacated our cabins by 11 a.m. So if you're holding a wedding, you might want to book Sunday night too, so people can sleep in and take it easy the next day. Not be rushed out. None of us thought about this when we booked in September 2011.

If you stay here, you will enjoy yourselves. It is a beautiful location.

Room Tip: Cabin 15 over looks the lake and is secluded. Cabin 14 is the next cabin close to the lake, and has...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sailnsun
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Baker's Narrows Lodge is only about 25 km from Flin Flon and offers everything from basic cabin rental to boat rental to all inclusive guided and fly in fishing trips. The cabins are rustic but have all the amenities including basic kitchens with small fridge, 2 stove burners, microwave and toaster. There is a bath with shower and I believe all cabins have two bedrooms, some with bunk beds. The lake is absolutely gorgeous with trophy fish to be caught. The owners are very friendly and accomodating. There is an outdoor hot tub, volleyball area, playground and indoor club house with pool table and ping pong and big tv. Satellite tv is in all the cabins and the club house on a big screen. Only drawback, mosquitoes and horseflies. Bring lots of heavy duty Off if you plan to spend any evenings outside at the fire pit. Also expect spiders in your cabin, they would be impossible to keep out.

Room Tip: Some cabins have all single beds so let the owners know what you need when you book.,
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveller1065
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed at Bakers Narrows Lodge near Flin Flon on March 1-4, 2012. We rented a quaint log cabin, which was cozy, warm and comfortable. The views are beautiful, the food provided by the lodge staff was wonderful. I can only imagine what this place looks like in the summer!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Bakers Narrows Lodge is a great vacation destination for everybody that enjoys nature, fishing and having a good time with the family. The cabins have everything you need and if you look for games and other entertainment, go to the big house.
They have very nice boats for rent for the fisherman or just to go for a ride on the big lake.
The owners take good care of the place and are always ready to help you, which makes the difference.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sigmar-w

Been to Bakers Narrows Lodge? Share your experiences!