“Wonderful Location but Poor Service and Much Besides”

Kelayang Beach Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belitung Island
Kelayang Beach Cottages
Ranked #16 of 21 Belitung Island B&B and Inns
Chengdu, China
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,235 helpful votes
“Wonderful Location but Poor Service and Much Besides”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The other reviews capture the pros and cons nicely. The beach, with its soft, white sand and turquoise water, is exquisite but the hotel is a disappointment, pure and simple. Though only a couple of years old, the huts look ancient, with rotting, termite-eaten wood and a general air of decay. Yes, this is rge tropics but they could at least invest in maintenance. Furthermore, the oily nasi goreng and mie goreng gets tired after a day or so. The menu just isn't conducive to a long stay. If you have the money, stay at the Lor Inn; if you don't, stay at Bukit Berahu, which has better rooms at a similar price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Raymond W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We stayed in Kelayang in February 2011. The accomodation is basic, the service is slack and the food greasy, but the bungalows are located on an unspoilt white-sanded beach. From the very first minute on the beach, we were bitten -should I say attacked?- by sand flies(being no bug specialist, that's what I suppose they are). We had no choice but to retreat into the bungalow.. The day after, we started scratching ourselves furiously. After three days, we had to leave, my son's back had become a giant sore. We went to a clinic as soon as we got back to Jakarta. We had caught.... scabies! It took me 3 weeks and five treatment to get rid of the disgusting parasites. One of the worst holiday ever. What I can't understand is why nobody warned us about the sand flies and the disease. As we seem to be the only people to complain here, I suppose it was just unfortunate, in which case Kelayang is a nice, quiet place for those who enjoy "roughing it up".

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Mariposa_mille

Travelers are raving about these Belitung Island hotels

Oregon
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The setting is gorgeous. The service is lousy. They are beach people and not too concerned with making your stay a pleasant one. I went there for my birthday, and I was at the sink, and it came off the wall. The water in the shower would stop in the middle of it. The food was from packages (although the young girls serving it were very pleasant). I hit my head on one of their low hanging roofs, and the workers girls just laughed. I really hated my stay there.

The website said that renting bikes and kayaks were a certain price. When you get there it is a much more expensive price. You are stuck there and at the mercy of their drivers who charge way to much (although our driver was very sweet).

I would recommend staying closer into town and going to Kalayang Beach for a day trip. It looks really romantic from the pictures, but the bed was lumpy and went in at the middle, the air conditioning didn't work very well, and I was eaten alive by mosquitoes.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carolfoasia
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This is a hard review to write, because I really wanted to like Kelayang. The staff are truly lovely people, the food is not bad at all, it's cheap to stay here and you see nothing but beauty when you look out of your cottage.
The downsides are the cottages themselves: broken-down, smelly, musty and not cared for at all, sadly. The bathrooms are basic - very basic. And the noise at night (from the motorbikes/traffic) is annoying.
We moved - very reluctantly - to another hotel down the road (for twice the price).
All of this, mind you, is nothing that can't be fixed with a little bit of care.

Room Tip: As someone else said, get the cottages away from the beach, towards the back.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank RishadP
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Albeit not the Burj Dubai, and far from being more than one storey, this place is wonderful. Snow white beaches and crystal clear waters, combined with almost surreal granite formations (otherwise also found on islands farther north all the way to south eastern Thailand) makes this one of my favorite locations in Indonesia. Bali has the infrastructure, South Sulawesi, Sumba, Sumbawa has perhaps emerging tourism, but if you want quiet unspoilt beaches and a great location for a different photoshoot, this is it! I may add that even without a camera you'll absolutely love it, but your friends and family will share your fantastic time here with a few snaps. Come! Stay! Enjoy! Did I mention the staff? Fantastic and caring, with great home made Indonesian food in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Call the guys to check availability for AC
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank RbProImages
nellypom
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Kelayang Cottages brought us back to the basics! Squat toilets, bucket showers and no AC were all on the cards. It is important to remember that you are in Belitung not Bali!!! and it is so worth the basic acommodation to go to this amazing Island.
Rudy and his staff are so helpful and friendly and made every effort to make our holiday an enjoyable one, they even chilled the white wine we took with us.
The other reviews mention the noise and its true, the locals love to party til late and then get on their noisy motor bikes to go home.
The hotel is right on the beach, which is lovely white sand, and yes it gets busy with other tourists getting on and off the boats, but round the corner the beach is deserted. And yes there are sand flies but not too bad.
We hired a a boat with a great driver Coco and he took us to the islands, which are the main reason you want to go to Belitung! Absolutely stunning!!!

Room Tip: ask for a room at far end of the beach with AC
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank nellypom
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I have just come back from an extended trip to Belitung staying at Kelayang Cottages. I read all the reviews prior to going so was prepared for the sand flies and the basic nature of the accommodation. So for me, these did not present a problem.
During the day, Kelayang beach is gorgeous and it's true what everyone says, your time will be spent outside your room, enjoying the water and exploring nearby islands. We rented a boat for some island hopping as well as a canoe for a few hours one day and paddled out to the neighbouring islands. Both days out on the boats was great.
My main criticism which no one seems to have commented on or noticed is the position of the Cottages. Yes, it's smack bang on a gorgeous, unspoiled stretch of beach, but between the cottages and the beach is essentially a carpark. During the day, on weekends, this fills up with hundreds of day trippers who base themselves here to go out on the daily boat trips, as Kelayang beach is the 'port' from which the boats depart. When the boats come in at the end of the day, around 3pm, this 'unspoiled' beach becomes mayhem with all these daytrippers crowding the beach. It's not a bad thing, just slightly unexpected. By dusk, they are all on their merry way. Most of them that is....
Come 8pm, on all 3 nights we spent there (a Thursday, Friday and Saturday), a warung a few hundred metres down the beach cranked up the music and our peaceful evening in paradise was marked with a definite drum and bass thumping that continued well into the wee hours. On top of that, there is the constant coming and going of motorbikes with very loud engines. They are on the road directly behind the huts (which is also currently being worked on by bulldozers during the day) or in the aforementioned carpark in front of your cottage. If you manage to get to sleep with the 'duk duk' sound in the distance, a motorbike will whirrr past; the local dogs might have their little barking spat outside your window or numerous other things may keep you from the restful sleep that you deserve after a day in the sun.
This was really my only gripe about the accommodation. I had 3 terrible nights sleep and have come home somewhat sleep deprived. Otherwise, yes, do take the DEET or repellent of choice and I'd also suggest an extension cord as we had a fan room but the fan was a good couple of metres away (I pulled it as close as the cord would allow) and was basically ineffective and one night in particular we were HOT.
Having said all that, my photos like everyone else's are stunning and people would wonder what I was complaining about. I think due to the nature of the place, there are not that many other options for accommodation that are any better, I don't know. And it could just be that I'm a light sleeper, but the nights and all the noise really detracted from my time there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family