“Rica Hotel Sandnessjoen was God's sent; fantastic hospitality before boarding Hurtigruten.”
Review of Scandic Syv Sostre

Scandic Syv Sostre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandnessjoen
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have been travelling for almost 12 hours with 2 shorts breaks in between connections including about 45 stressful minutes just before boarding Widerøe Airline from Trondheim to Sandnessjoen. The airline over booked by 5 passages and no one was willing to volunteer to travel on the next flight. To cut a long story short, we arrived in Sandnessjoen around 11.45pm. Unlike London everything in the city were closed by this time; it was extremely cold, we were tired and very hungry. We asked the transit bus driver for advice on where we could stay the night close to the port, he told us not to worry. He took us to Rica Hotel; the driver was 101% right - the hotel is located less than 5 minutes walk to the Sandnessjoen Port (where we were to board Hurtigruten ship for Kirkenes early in the morning around 4.00am).

The hotel staffs were very welcoming and helpful. Given the time, we were hoping to settle for snacks but the chef and a waiter volunteered stay on and prepare hot meal for us. The food was fantastic (of course at a price but given the circumstances, I will reserve comments on the price - in fact it was reasonable by Norwegian standard). After the meal and gallons of hot drinks, the receptionist invited us to stay-on in the lounge where we could see ships coming and leaving the port.

Around 3.30am we saw the Hurtigruten ship at a distance gradually heading towards the port. We gathered our belonging and gently made our way to the port.

Our overall score for hospitality is 5 stars. We are unable to comment on room status and other facilities in the hotel as we only use the restaurant and the lounge.

Recommended for Hurtigruten connection.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank finni71

Reviewed March 16, 2012

The hotel is out-dated, over priced, the food in the restaurant is dreadful, the service is awful, the reception staff are dull -bored- and lack any interest in their customers. The mattress on the bed is too soft and you end up with a back-ache. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room. The hotel make up for this by having stale/warm coffee in the lobby. One of the public lounge areas was unavailable as it was taken by a company having a conference in one of the small meeting rooms. Avoid Room 407 as you cannot see the TV from the bed......The hotel would be better using the room for the cleaner to store the cleaning equipment. To charge almost 200 Euros a night is completely outrageous. There is no competition therefore The Rica can charge a huge amount and provide a crap service and get away with it.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a bath - the room will be larger
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank roughguide247
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I visited this hotel late in 2010, and it was rough weather outside, but inside there was good temperature and friendliness!

I arrived late, and wasn't hungry, so I didn't try the dinner serving.

The room was rather high up, with a view over the harbor, where a couple of supply ships was getting ready to get out in the Norwegian sea.

I slept like a baby, with a smell of the sea in my room, and a great bed!

The breakfast was expected from a Rica hotel. It had everything I would need from a hotel breakfast, and the staff said good morning to me, I like that.

I can't find anything to be disappointed about in this hotel..

Room Tip: Get a room with sea view!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We were driving north from Trondheim towards Narvik and needed a break after a few hours drive. We stopped at Rica hotel Sandnessioen in a rainy day. We were welcomed warmly, a free parking in front of the hotel was arranged and we were given an excellent room at 5th floor sea-view.
After a short stroll downtown and along the quay, we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant.
We have had a local fish main course, which was very fresh and tasty. Notwithstanding a fairly large group of german tourist arrived by bus in the meantime, the service was attentive and fast.
Given the bad weather and the relatively unattractive village, we have had an above average stop-over. I will certainly do it again in case of a next trip in the area.

Room Tip: ask for a sea-view
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed there for one night end of May.

As I understood it was the sole choice in Sandnessjoen. Nevertheless, and despite the relative old state of the building, we had a very nice stay there.

The room was clean, big enough for two people and the bathroom was ok.
We had a nice dinner at the restaurant. And the breakfrast was really great, a huge choice.

Free wireless internet as well which was quite nice.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blake130381
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This is currently the only hotel in Sandnessjøen, which explains why this hotel can charge the rather high price of NOK 1400 for a single room. I was not able to find any discounts on the usual websites. There's a HI hostel in town as well if this price puts you off.

This is an OK hotel, even if it is clearly dated. Some rooms have recently been refurbished, and my 5th floor room was fresh and OK with a nice balcony facing the sea. The in-room TV did not work. I reported this to the reception, who was unable to help (their suggestions for fixing the problem were useless). They refused my suggestion of changing to another room, but did offer to LEND me a newspaper or to use the lobby TV.

The reception had only 2 different courses on offer, so I chose to eat my dinner in one of the local pizza outlets instead.

Breakfast was OK, but nothing more.

The staff was not very service minded. The reception was unstaffed several of the times I needed assistance, and there was no bell or similar devices to attract attention.

So... I would use this hotel again, but the lack of competition is noticeable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank blazius
Reviewed January 29, 2009

Contacted the hotell the same day, and i stayed there on a buisness trip. I got a smokers room, and the standar was not good. It looked like i was enetering the 70's, and the room had a very cold atmosfere, and it was rather expensive aswell.
There is an hotell my the sea i Sandnessjøen, and that keeps a much higher standar, and its also cheaper.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandnessjoen
Fru Haugans Hotel
#3 of 5 in Mosjoen
Napoli Restaurant og motell
Napoli Restaurant og motell
#1 of 1 in Sandnessjoen

Been to Scandic Syv Sostre? Share your experiences!