“Perfect for a mini break - love the friendly and helpful service.”
Review of Rederiet Hotell

Rederiet Hotell
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Farsund
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel as we got a rare chance to get a few days away without the kids. We traveled down to Farsund via the coast road from Stavanger by Motorcycle. When we arrived (early evening), we were immediately impressed with the Hotels position, bang in the centre of town, overlooking a small Harbour. The lady who needed to check us in wasn't around, but we were offered a comfortable seat and a cold beer whilst we waited without asking. This was a good sign !
We soon checked in to our 1st floor suite, which was great - lots of room, great view over the town square and harbour. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant, which we had reserved for 8pm, following the advice of the very helpful lady who checked us in. The food was fine and the service was great. Breakfast buffet next day was ok, not great - but the relaxed atmosphere and friendly service was still there - and there was no rush, stayed open till 10 am during the week ans Saturday, 11am on Sunday !!! My wife and were talking about how good things were at the hotel when we returned from a long walk around Farsund only to find a Hotel business card clipped to my motorcycle (parked directly outside the hotel entrance) with some Snakker du Norske words on it that I couldn't read, but they ended in !!! marks so I feared the worse... I took the card to reception and sheepishly asked for translation, thoroughly expecting to be told "you can't park there, shift it now", but no...it turns out the Hotel janitor had passed by and noticed my front tyre pressure was very low and wanted me to go check and inflate it before we did anymore touring - he had even provided the recommended pressures. He was right by the way, it was down to 1.4 bar from 2.4, thanks a lot for that gold nugget... Anyway lots of good things about this hotel as well as the location, service, food and free strong wifi - I even streamed the live Test Match on my Ipad whilst sunbathing in the courtyard outside the bar - no worries and England won :o) Only downside I could mention is that there is not much choice regarding restaurants other that the hotel itself and that's why you should reserve your table (as we found out to our cost on Saturday night) But hey Pizza Bakkeren saved the day and a several hundred Nok !

Room Tip: We had 401, Prince Christian - I think, it was great - I didn't see any other rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I just had a business dinner and .... wow. Nice presentation. Great tasting. Nice views. Expensive but worthy. The right place both for business or private dinner. There are not a bunch of choices but everything is ok.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ea1ii
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Didn’t stay at this hotel but did eat in the restaurant, which is probably one of the better ones in the small town of Farsund. The atmosphere inside is pretty nice but not overly designed. The menu is in English and is small but this is a good sign and when the food came it was very well presented in the modern style, where the eye is important.

The food itself is mostly very good but personally I was not as blown away by it as some suggest. The foods with sauces seemed to be a little too heavy or creamy and would dominate the taste too much, while some of the side dishes were the same – overwhelmed with butter or a bit heavily fried etc. It is still good food generally but this aspect I was not so keen on.
Service was friendly with good spoken English but it wsn’t clear to us that side dishes for our group were supposed to be shared, so they just dropped things onto the table randomly and some had nothing while others have what they thought was the “wrong” order etc, it was an odd system but we were a large group I guess.

As with everywhere here, the food is crazy expensive and even for those coming from larger European cities, the prices will be much higher than the value – this isn’t just this place, but it is something to mention.

One of the best places to eat in the town, even if it is not as perfect as that makes it sound.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bob_the_moo
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We decided to have a short getaway in the region, and selected this town 1,5 hours driving away.
This hotel is small and cosy, partly old and partly new (you can read more about it on their website). The "suite" we booked, was located on the first floor in one of the oldest house in town, renovated in 2010. The suite was delicated decorated, consisted of living room, bedroom and bathroom (shower/no bathtub). There is sea view from living room door to a balcony. From the bedroom there was view to the sea and town market place. The bedroom had the same size as the living room (a bit unfortunately). All in all about 36-40 square meters.

There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel, serving tasting a la carte dishes. The breakfast was as expected.

Pros:
- friendly staff, nice rooms, tasty dinner, good location
Cons:
- the bed lamps were not free for carpet dust inside, the small bottle of body lotion was almost empty at our arrival
- wooden building mades a bit unpleasant noices when there were activities from other rooms upstairs

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nhasand
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Been there Lods of time,almost every year,located in central of the town,wonderful homely environment,very welcoming,lovely rooms,reasonable price,gourmet food,excellent french fusion plus indian curry,the creamy fish soup and butter fried monk fish with basilicum sauce best of the world.wonderful waiters and room service.excellent like city hotel in remote place.

Room Tip: Guarenteed pleasure ,life time experience.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Had four superb nights at Rederiet Hotell in Farsund during the Kaper play. Good ambience, good food and very helpful staff. Breakfast and lunch on the terrace with a beautiful view:) Our room was spacious - brand new and with a lovely, comfortable bed. Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Helenerr
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have been staying at several places in the area recently and this is the best hotel that I have come across in the town so far. I was given a spacious room with it´s own living area and balcony. It appeared to be recently renovated and I found the sofa and the bed extremely comfortable. The only thing that put me off was the lack of soundproofing, it wasn´t especially pleasant to be woken in the middle of the night by the person above me going to the bathroom, but that is my only real gripe.
The location is convenient and has lovely views over the town and fjord, the only issue you may face is trying to park the car, especially in Summer.
Having stayed in the area for the last few weeks I have been trying out the local restaruants and can tell you that this is the best so far, yes it is the most expensive but despite this it is still top of the VFM list.
Overall it was a very pleasant stay, it is a comfortable, very casual hotel with good, attentive and friendly service. I certainly intend to go back.

Room Tip: My Colleagues were less that impressed with their rooms which were situated in the main building, I...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bjc81
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farsund
Farsund Fjordhotell
#1 of 2 in Flekkefjord
The Boelgen & Moi Hotel Utsikten
The Boelgen & Moi Hotel Utsikten
#1 of 1 in Kvinesdal Municipality

Been to Rederiet Hotell? Share your experiences!