“Very disappointing.”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Visited here a midweek evening in February. Naturally, as you would expect, the place wasn't very busy. We were shown to our tables and handed menus that are helpfully in English as well as Spanish.
The restaurant has a cosy, comfortable feel to it although it did feel a bit cold and could perhaps do with more heating at that time of year.
Dishes chosen we settled back to wait. Service was OK, nothing very friendly or welcoming though. Seemed a little indifferent. A glass of house white wine was ordered which is apparently from 'the bottle that is open'. It was drinkable, just, but not very good. There are so many lovely, cheap wines around here that there really is no excuse to offer poor house wine.
Free tapas arrived which were fine - tiny squares of toast with pate.
Starters arrived - home made croquettes. A large portion, yes, but with a tiny scrap, teaspoon size, of red cabbage as the only addition. This dish would be greatly enhanced by the addition of some salad accompaniment. It really did feel like it was missing something and without any accompaniment I soon tired of eating the croquettes.
But it was the main course that really let this place down. I ordered a salmon with teriyaki sauce and prawn twister (prawns in a type of filo pastry funnel). The dish arrived and was put in front of me without any comment. There was not a single drop of teriyaki sauce, however there was a grainy mustard sauce on the salmon. There was also a tiny amount of cold rice. Not sure if this was meant to be heated or not? And again, not a single scrap of salad or vegetable at all! I ate some of the salmon that had managed to escape the mustard (I really dislike mustard!), plus the prawn twisters (which were tasteless), but the waitress never came back to our table until we had clearly stopped eating. I'd left a lot of the salmon and asked her why I hadn't received the dish I'd ordered. The only reply was "Oh, no teriyaki sauce left". Not sorry, no apologies. Why had I not been told this when I ordered? Why was I not offered something else? Why did they take an order for a dish costing 13 Euros knowing they couldn't serve the dish that was ordered?
We asked for the bill and yes, we were still charged full price for the dish that we ordered but didn't receive, despite complaining about it. Again, that indifference.
We paid and left, and this was one of those very, very rare occurrences we did not leave a tip. I don't like not leaving a tip as I enjoy giving recognition for good food and service and usually tip generously. But on this occasion I'm afraid food and service fell well short of not only our expectations but also what we deemed worthy of a tip.
I'm afraid, based on our experiences I could not recommend this place. I am well aware of all the other glowing reviews so maybe our experience was a one off? Nevertheless, this was our experience.

1  Thank HelenMR30

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We went to el Jardín the first day of our stay in Orgiva this winter. It was the first recommendation of the owner of the country house we rented close to the town. It didn´t disappointed us at all.
The terrace with the lemon trees must be absolutely wonderful almost all through the year. But in November, it was too cold to dine outside. Quite the opposite, we chose the closest table to the wood fire as we were alone in the restaurant.
The food was very good, with a creative touch which is unusual in Alpujarras. The pizza was great, but there are many other dishes to match any taste.
On the other hand, the price was also unusually high for the region (which is very cheap, generally).
In conclusion: a must in Orgiva, you don´t want to miss it.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Actually a four-and-a-half rather than a four.

Orgiva might be a rather unprepossessing town, but Almazzara El Jardin is worth a short detour if you find yourself passing.

The highlights are the pizzas which are really very good indeed, though other dishes being delivered to other tables looked pretty good. The bases are well cooked: the toppings novel and well composed.

The service was first rate and the waiter made sure we know which desserts were home made and which were bought in - tip: the tiramasu is home made and very good.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I been in most of the restaurants in Orgiva.This one is the worst by far...I have been eating here two times-the first time i got a paela with burned rice and so much salt,that it was not possible to eat.The second time,i got a hamburger with raw (!) meat (cooked a little bit on the top)...and the service was TERRIBLE....

2  Thank Tim M
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Very nice place with nice, English speaking service and delicious food. We had grilled prawns, paella and calamari. Nothing surprising but on highest level at good price. We strongly recommend visiting the place