“An experience of a lifetime!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jaramuza Retreats

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orgiva
Jaramuza Retreats
Ranked #3 of 7 Orgiva B&B and Inns
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“An experience of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife sent me on this trip, i'd been working hard, and i guess even though i didn't know it myself I was pretty burned. I had no idea what to expect but threw myself into the whole experience and it turned out to be on of the most wonderful and valuable experiences of my life. I did Yoga every morning, stuck to a juice detox, explored meditation and got plenty reading and relaxing done. Sophia looked after me very well and lovingly prepared the juices for my detox 3 time a day. Ive never in my life given my digestive system a holiday but i felt a new man after a week of pure/clean living. The views were spectacular, one morning Sophia's husband Oliver and her daughter took me up the mountain for sunrise, incredible! The accommodation was beautiful, private, peaceful, clean and although basic was more than was required. An invaluable week of getting to know myself again and relaxing from the hectic lifestyle that most of us live, i genuinely couldn't recommend it more.

Room Tip: All rooms are basic but perfect, you wont have any problems
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tipperary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

Our stay at Jaramuza proved to be an intense and emotional experience-which we all needed.
The location lent itself to peace and tranquility. The treatments were second to none, particularly with Kym. The quality of the food was excellent and Sophia excelled herself in welcoming us and making us feel at home.
It is an ideal location if one wants to rethink their life with no interruptions, just the birdsong and sunshine create an atmosphere in which one can reflect on life.
It was certainly life-enhancing and I would highly recommend it as a place where one can escape from the rat-race and come away with a sense of peace and purpose.
Kay Hogan

Room Tip: The cottages are perfect
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
Lewes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I went to Jaramuza having run a one week programme at a nearby holiday centre, in need of rest and quiet. I was accomodated in a beautiful "Casita"; really clean, simple and beautifully appointed with a designated swimming pool just a few yards from my door and a spectacular view of the mountains! The welcome was warm, the food outstanding, and the location perfect for rest and re-charging! I felt that anything I needed would be provided but in a very unobtrusive way which I really appreciated. There were other people around if I wanted to chat but again this was a choice I was free to make for myself.
I would love to go back again in the near future. I returned home rested and healed by the sun, the food and the people who run the project. It's a very special place!! Thank You

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank adrienne t
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

from the moment sophia met me at the airport I felt looked after and at ease in her company. we stopped for a drink at the beach on the way to my cottage and it was great to feel the sun on my face in february. my cottage was perfect, spacious, clean, peaceful without being isolated and beautifully furnished and decorated. There were lots of flowers and kumquats growing in my terrace area which had a lounger and patio furniture. it was completely private and became my place of choice to sunbathe scantily-clad or drink sophia's homemade tea in my pj's. It felt like heaven to be at peace and live at my own rhythm for five whole days. (actually the whole area is incredibly peaceful, olive and orange trees are everywhere, mountains on the horizon, walking distance from a small town with interesting weekly market).
the experience was completed by sophia's lovingly provided services. she is quiet but fun and is great company when you want it but never imposing. I paid for her to cook for me and it was such a luxury to have delicious healthy (mostly home-grown) meals provided without having to lift a finger or even make a decision about what to cook - a refreshing change for a mother of small children! she checks with you regularly to ensure that your needs are met and organising therapies and appointments as required. I had excellent counselling, massage and homeopathy sessions, but also requested dance and singing lessons which she found for me in spite of these not being on the choice menu at the time.
I left the retreat peaceful, re-energised and with my chronic insomnia and digestive problems virtually gone (6 months on these problems are still much improved).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank louise k
Lewes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

I went here to recuperate after serious illness and was very well looked after. The care was apparent before I got there as I'd been questioned about my needs and they were always addressed throughout my stay. Jaramuzza is in lovely gardens with a pool and is tranquil.The appartment is typically Spanish ( with a wood-burner ideal when it's cooler.) The vegetarian food was excellent and came straight from the local market or out of the ground. This is the place to go when you really need quiet and beauty and to be looked after. It isn't the place to go if, by retreat you really need a glam health spa. The therapists there have been well-chosen and the Jaramuzza Team are thoughtful, considered and imaginative.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank cello1740
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

Much in need of a break, my intuition lead me to the Jaramuza Retreat where I found the tranquil space I was seeking to nurture my soul and rejuvenate my spirit. The cottage was perfect - peaceful and with magnificent views, while Sophia, Oliver and their family welcomed me by looking after my every need with wonderful home cooked wholefoods, shared in friendly communion or leaving me alone if this was my choice. The option of being collected from, and taken back, to the airport was a welcome option, leaving me stress free and able to thoroughly relax. Thank you to everyone for a wonderful stay, from Andrew for the effortless booking, Oliver for transporting me, and Sophia for her delicious, nurturing food. I came home fully rested, refreshed and more in tune with my true inner self - everyone should try it. Love Mila

Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank mila37
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

I booked a trip to Jaramuza planning to stay for two weeks to relax and revive my spirits. In the email correspondence before my arrival everything sounded great with promises of an individually designed retreat to enable me to make the most of the time. The impression I got from the website was that there would be a series of small apartments, a pool and a central building of some sort housing the yoga and massage sessions on offer and where meals would be taken on the fully catered option. This is not the case.

I arrived with a friend who was planning to stay for a couple of days leaving me there for two weeks to enjoy the retreat. On arrival we were unable to telephone as instructed from the village as we had no mobile signal so weren't expecting anyone to meet us on the road as offered but managed to find the retreat easily - down a VERY bumpy, pot-holed track - and assumed there would be someone there. But no, we were greeted by some other guests who showed us what they assumed was the apartment prepared for us. The only other guests we saw were a family with children - certainly not what I was expecting (or wanted) on a retreat holiday.

The apartment was disappointing - there is an ant problem and there were columns of ants crossing the kitchen and the bathroom. The apartment smelt of damp and mildew - although when I took this up with the owners I was told I must have imagined it as the refurbishment had been carried out by a Swiss architect! As an architect myself, I'm not aware of any particular reputation of the Swiss with regard to damp - and do know that cavity walls and double glazing won't prevent it, although this is why I was told it was impossible. The bedroom had two small twin beds with childish covers and a selection of towels you might expect to find in the back of your Gran's airing cupboard - threadbare and faded. There was a fold-up massage table behind the door and the furniture seems to be aiming at shabby chic but stops just before it gets to the chic part.

The bathroom was tiny with an unspectactular shower which flooded the whole room on use. They did provide nice soap though.

The kitchen/ lounge/ diner is nice but the sofa is covered in cushions and covers way past their best and a mop and bucket were prominently displayed which wasn't very welcoming. I had been told that although I was self catering, there would be some basics to get me through to the next day - a big bowl of lemons looked gorgeous but wasn't terribly practical and the loaf of bread was still defrosting. Lots of lovely rustic looking crockery though.

After our look around, Sophia appeared to introduce herself bringing us a bottle of olive oil but no mention of the individually designed retreat - and there's no welcome pack or local information in the apartment to let you know how everything works. There's also no internet or telephone and a TV and video player but no TV signal or videos to watch. We asked about the walk to town and were assured it was safe and took 20 minutes and that there would be plenty of places open to eat (at 9pm on a Sunday) and lots of people about; as it was getting dark we asked if there was a torch and Sophia did go and get one. The walk to town took us - fit healthy 30-somethings - 40 minutes and on arrival at the near desserted town we found just one place still serving food. The walk home in the pitch dark with a truly pathetic torch was terrifying - we were chased by dogs twice - although I will concede that we're townies and not accustomed to walking in the country at night.

After a terrible nights sleep - we both woke with ants in our beds - and unable to contact anyone to talk to about our experience, we left the next morning (leaving a note explaining our disappointment) and found somewhere else to stay.

I did contact the the owners by email once I got back to the UK, my first email was ignored, and the second responded to only when I said I would be writing this review. That was the one when I was told about the Swiss architect and that I was imagining things. So not great on customer service either.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Yogabunny71
greenpartner, Manager at Jaramuza Retreats, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
We are very sorry that these guests felt like this and we would have greatly valued the opportunity to talk to them and correct some misapprehensions. For example, Jaramuza is composed of several small apartments set in private grounds with a pool and meeting/ yoga room. There is however, not a central admin building - we are not that big.

We are not a luxury spa and we do not charge their prices - we are set up to help clients recover and recuperate from the stresses and strains of modern life.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orgiva
Albaicín
Santa Isabel la Real
#1 of 125 in Granada
B&B Hotel Granada
#22 of 125 in Granada

Been to Jaramuza Retreats? Share your experiences!