“The best Indian out of India”

Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Prashad is an award winning Indian vegetarian restaurant in the heart of West Yorkshire. It is based in a renovated pub building in Drighlington, which has been transformed into an intimate and vibrant Gujarati eaterie. It features a large bar area where the in-house mixologist serves up perfectly-matched cocktails, locally-brewed beers and wines with roadside snacks and Indian tapas. There are three different dining areas and a snug that can be individually booked for private parties. The open pass kitchen brings the passionate Head Chef and her team closer to the customers. In the last 12 months alone we have been awarded the Morrisons Magazine Great Grub Award 2013, the Yorkshire Life Chef of the Year 2013 (which Minal and Kaushy won jointly), the Michelin Guide Bib Gourmand 2014, and the Yorkshire Evening Post Oliver Awards Best Indian Restaurant 2014!
Derby
“The best Indian out of India”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Thank you for this inspiring meal. My partner, who is Gujerati, and I loved it. Just wish we lived closer to enjoy more often.

I have cooked from your book before I found out about the restaurant.

I strongly recommend getting a selection of dishes, tapas style, to share.

Our waiter was a lil shy and not engaging but certainly didn't spoil our experience.

Beautiful decor. A high class place and food which deserves recognition.

veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Asiaxx thank you for your review, we are really pleased to read that having strong Gujarati links btw you and your partner enjoyed our cuisine, we look forward to serving you again soon…Bobby

• Indonesian first
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

After all the press hype and personal recommendations, as a family we couldn't wait to try Prashad and decided to visit Saturday 7th June. Unfortunately we were very disappointed with our experience as we found that Prashad was no where near as special as the rave reviews claim.

Firstly, we were seated in the small upstairs room, what I can only describe as a 'function room' devoid of atmosphere, away from the main dining area downstairs leading us to feel somewhat segregated from the other diners in the main restaurant. Secondly, the process from arriving to being seated was 'soul-less' and we were not even offered a drinks menu when seated. With regards to the food, while the starters were faultless and absolutely delicious, our main courses were so overwhelmingly spicy that it was impossible to enjoy and differentiate the flavours that should have been present. Furthermore, we were not offered water, the poppadoms and chutneys were added to the bill and were not complimentary - THIS WAS A FIRST! - and our table was not properly cleared between courses leaving us with dirty serviettes and food debris staring at us. But perhaps our largest bone to pick with our dining experience was the fact that the two waiters who served this 'function room' were visibly chewing gum the whole evening which is simply not acceptable in the context of a dining experience and reflected the air of arrogance and complacency within this establishment.

Overall, very disappointed with the service and at a loss to explain what justified the hype and the rave reviews and quite frankly there are better Indian dining experiences on offer in the area. There was absolutely no pride or passion reflected in the food or the service and we as paying customers were not made to feel special nor valued. The whole dining experience was poor. Raise your game Prashad, the competition is better.

2 Thank Emma C
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Emma, thank you very much for your review, as you can se from the number of reviews we get we do try and be amazing every time, and sometimes we do get it wrong, our review has highlighted a number of areas where we have slipped on your visit. You points are absolutely valid and relevant, I thank you for bringing them to my attention, I was working on Saturday night and your waiter Waqas remembers your table, sorry for the feeling of sitting away from the main restaurant, we have been in this building for nearly 2 yrs and we chose the building specifically for its little segregated rooms to create some intimacy. Each room has its own atmosphere, I am very disappointed with your experience and would ask you email me at info@prashad.co.uk to allow me the opportunity to put this right……hoping for your email Bobby
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Magical Birthday Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

I visited Prashad for a business lunch about 3 years ago before it moved to its current location, and was blown away.
I therefore decided to take my (vegetarian) wife to the new premises for her birthday. I had built it up to her beforehand so was crossing my fingers that the high standards had been maintaned despite the move and the lapse of time.
I need not have worried.
The food was completely outstanding - and I eat meat! My wife has not stopped talking about it yet. As others have said, it is astonishing how much variety can be achieved with humble ingredients. It's also worth mentioning that the heat of the dishes varies considerably, so that whatever your taste (vindaloo fans aside!) you will find something you like.
Service and surroundings are better than good.
The internet booking service was outstanding - why don't more restaurants offer this ?
A final note: with one or two exceptions the drinks are very expensive. A fairly ordinary bottle of wine will set you back £20 or so, which for this area is a lot (although I accept that Londoners would not be shocked!). Buy the house wine and you'll be fine.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Steve W
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
HI Steve, thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful experience, we are so pleased to read that after 3 years we were able to help make sure your wife's birthday was a resounding success, thanks for giving us the opportunity. We have ben at our new location for 15 months now and love everyday, the change in environment is greatly enjoyed and we are pleased you like it….naturally we hope you don't leave it so long for the next time, look forward to serving you soon….Bobby
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Heaven on a plate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

We visited the restaurant on Sunday for a 'special' birthday meal. We had been looking forward to it for so long and definitely were not disappointed. The menu for some, may not be extensive enough if you are used to the normal offerings of many restaurants but if you are looking for genuine freshly cooked Gujarati fare then look no further. Prashad's do it well! All the staff are lovely, the atmosphere is relaxed and the surroundings reflect this. The evening was topped off by a farewell from Kaushy. See you soon!

• Visited June 2014
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hi Dawn, wow so pleased you enjoyed your meal, I recall briefly saying hello as you were leaving, mum was speaking with you whilst I was enjoy a few cherished moments with my daughter, mum loves to spend time in the restaurant and especially talking to you, hope you come back soon…. Bobby
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I travelled over to Prashad yesterday with my partner and daughter on the train from Manchester and we had an exceptional time. Food and service were absolutely without fault. Our waiter Toqeer was so friendly and helpful, and having explained that our daughter hadn't eaten Indian food before we let him order whatever he thought most appropriate for her and she couldn't have been happier - she was treated like a little Princess and even given a surprise Pomegranate cocktail. The flavours in all the dishes were deeply compelling; the chef is a sorcerer of kinds. At the end of the meal we felt like we'd eaten a garden of flowers. Dessert was also utterly delicious. Really the only problem at Prashad is knowing when to stop eating. We've been joking today that we might travel over with a hostess trolley next time to bring back a sample of every single dish. The atmosphere is warm, calm, and welcoming, and everyone seemed so happy to be working there. Our taxi driver said that every customer he's ever picked up from Prashad has raved to him about the place, and it's no wonder. Having been vegetarian and now vegan all my life I've eaten at lots of the very good vegetarian restaurants around the UK, including David Bann in Edinburgh and Terre à Terre in Brighton and too many to mention in London, and I have to say that currently Prashad really is the very best vegetarian restaurant in the UK.

1 Thank Jane O
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear HJane, wow we are absolutely over the moon with reading your review, you mention some the the all time greats within the Vegetarian culinary world and we are humbled you put us up there. We work passionately every single day/hour to make sure we provide a phenomenal experience,Toqeer's unique warmth is a jewel in our crown, he embraces our ethos and then makes it his own. Thank you taking the time and writing such wonderful words, hurry back soon with trolley and my wife Minal is busy making potions….Bobby