“Prashad is great. Simple as that”

Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Prashad is an award winning Indian vegetarian restaurant in the heart of West Yorkshire. It is based in a renovated pub building in Drighlington, which has been transformed into an intimate and vibrant Gujarati eaterie. It features a large bar area where the in-house mixologist serves up perfectly-matched cocktails, locally-brewed beers and wines with roadside snacks and Indian tapas. There are three different dining areas and a snug that can be individually booked for private parties. The open pass kitchen brings the passionate Head Chef and her team closer to the customers. In the last 12 months alone we have been awarded the Morrisons Magazine Great Grub Award 2013, the Yorkshire Life Chef of the Year 2013 (which Minal and Kaushy won jointly), the Michelin Guide Bib Gourmand 2014, and the Yorkshire Evening Post Oliver Awards Best Indian Restaurant 2014!
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We've been twice. The wait staff were generous, as I was curious about the music, and they helped figure out how to get it. The food was delish. The first time we went, in the old location, there was a lot of ambient noise. I felt that the friendliness of the waiters helped make up for this. I liked the food. It seemed fresh and delicately spiced. There's something very positive about this place.

1  Thank Carroll G

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I are long-term vegetarians, living on the edge of the Lake District, and find it near to impossible to obtain top quality Indian vegetarian food at local restaurants, or indeed anywhere within a fifty-mile radius of where we live. It's not that vegetarian food isn't available at local Indian restaurants, but that it is often standardized and unsurprising. We spent some years living in Singapore in the 1990s and have missed the fantastic quality and range of Indian food available there ever since. So, when reading about Prashad in a recent edition of 'Vegetarian Living', my eyes lit up, my mouth started watering, and plans started hatching in my mind... we had to make a visit! But before that visit, I cooked up some of the Prashad recipes (first from 'Vegetarian Living', and then from Prashad's own recipe book), and knew that I would like the style and approach.

We booked a two night stay at a bed and breakfast place on the outskirts of Bradford for the weekend of the 16th and 17th February, and decided to combine a meal at Prashad with a visit to the UNESCO-listed mill village of Saltaire, to the National Media Museum and to many of the Bronte-associated places surrounding Bradford. Not knowing the area, we mistimed our arrival at Prashad by an hour, getting there at 5.00 p.m., rather than at 6.00 p.m., as booked, but were immediately shown to our table, and treated with great kindness and attentiveness.

The experience was everything we had hoped for, and more! We chose the Tasting Platter of starters, filled with a wide variety of the starters available on the menu, including the rich and unusual Pattra (colocasia leaf parcels garnished with mustard seed oil), the delicately spiced Pethi (coconut and pea pate in a deep-fried potato ball), a spiced lentil ball, a crispy vegetable samosa - and much more! We were also given a complimentary mini Special Chaat - a delicious combination of chick-peas, yoghurt, potato and puri, all in a rich tamarind dressing.

Already feeling more than satisfied, we moved on to the main course of Chole with puris and Seasonal Vegetable Handi with coriander rice, which we shared with each other, giving us a well-contrasted meal of spicy chickpea curry and gingery vegetables.

Throughout the meal we accompanied the dishes with the dips and relishes which had come with the poppadums we had ordered at the start of the meal. These home-made relishes and chutneys are quite unlike anything we've come across in any other UK Indian restaurant, and added a very special touch to the meal.

We would normally drink lassi (a yoghurt-based cold drink) with an Indian meal, but in this case kept to water, as we had already indulged ourselves with non-alcoholic cocktails, a Mango Lopez (mango, passion fruit, pineapple and coconut cream) in my husband's case, and a Pomegranate Mint Sling (fresh mint, lime, sugar, vanilla, pomegranate juice and soda) for me. These were deliciously refreshing (mine) or richly exotic (my husband's).

No space, therefore, and regretfully, for a dessert, but we did round the meal off with a warming Masala Chai, which was freshly made for us, and very authentic in taste and texture (a strong taste of tea, with a mildly spicy background, and a definite flavour of fresh-boiled milk). Delicious (and calming for the stomach after a spicy meal).

The meal was good value, in my opinion, comparing very favourably with restaurants of similar quality. Perhaps the main dishes are just a touch more expensive than main dishes at other Indian restaurants, but the complexity of the cooking style, the depth of flavour, and the style of presentation, all justify this. Our total bill came to less than £50.00 for what was a very special meal.

We found the service and hospitality delightful and warmly personal. Thank you to Toqeer who served us throughout, and to all the other members of the Prashad family who greeted us, smiled at us, joked with us, and, of course, cooked for us, making our experience more and better than we had imagined!

We will return, and we will bring friends and family to share the experience, even if we have to travel 2 and a half hours to get there!

2  Thank CarawayCumbria
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I wanted to visit the Prashad more due to the TV hype than the Vegetarian aspect.
Being local and seeing the transformation from the pub it was previously we were very impressed with the refurb, the Restaurant is beautifully done and very inviting.

We found the staff to be very welcoming and were shown to a table straight away.

We opted for the taster starter for two which at ten pounds sounds expensive but when you consider it is for two is good value and a fantastic taste experience, each dish on the platter is a surprise and was well worth the money as was the the pickle tray and four gorgeous pickles.

We both opted for the Gordan Ramsey favourite Chick pea main course Chloe, i asked for mine to be extra spicy which was done without any problems.
The rice and garlic nan were both very nice, however the main wasn't as tasty as I would have expected, maybe because we are both meat eaters and a vegetarian meal was something out of the ordinary?

On the whole we had an enjoyable evening, Its not a restaurant we would rush back too but that's because we are meat eaters and not really a reflection of the Prashad itself.

The menu prices are a little on the high side but you would get that anywhere that a celebrity had endorsed.

1  Thank dave300
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Where shall I start? Bad experience from start to finish. Waiter extremely rude and unhelpful. Really do not understand why this place has been getting some good reviews. Food was tasteless, presentation lacking and generally the experience my husband and I had was very disappointing!! This restaurant is so expensive, what are we paying for the new decorations as its certainly not the quality of the food and the service. If I were you go somewhere else.

9  Thank RANY B
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Wow REALLY !!

we have not increased the orices for over 1 yr despite relocating, I would love to know which dish you claim to have ordered ..TASTELESS...?? Presentation lacking, let me think, our mixed platter is served on a bed of seasonal savoy cabbage, beetroot pure and garnished with micro coriander....we pride ourselves in the very opposite of what you have written and have many many reviews that confirm this....I don't believe you have eaten at Prashad

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'd probably rate this restaurant as average but because my bill was two or three times higher than what I would normally pay at a curry house I've downgraded to poor.

I think my problems arose out of the fact that I decided to go on Valentines Day. I booked for 6.30pm as it was not possible to book any later, presumably as it was full. But upon arrival we were taken to a room that was completely empty except for ourselves. So not much atmosphere at all. There was just one waiter who was in and out and other than that just us.

When he served us he informed us it was a set menu. This came as a surprise as I'd booked online and seen no mention of this. I'd even taken a look through the normal menu before deciding to book. When I asked the waiter he said it was mentioned on the website. I took a further look later and found it was mentioned on their blog - which you'd only see if you'd bothered to click on that particular page which is pretty tucked away.

The set menu was £27.50, which included a mocktail/cocktail, popadoms, pickle try, mixed starter, main course, rice, bread, dessert and a rose. This went up to £31 if you wanted alcohol in your cocktail. If you wanted a beer you were still given the mocktail and were then charged for each additional beer which got pretty expensive as they were in small bottles.

My partner and I have pretty small appetites (she is only 4ft 11) and would never normally order so much food, but here we were in a situation where we had no choice. Inevitably there was enough left to feed a third person. To make matters worse a couple of the starter items were really spicey to the point that my partner could not eat them. I like hot food but even I found them uncomfortably hot. I'd already asked the waiter to not make our food too spicey as my partner loves curry but does not like really spicey food but still there were strips of birdseye chillis in them. As it was a set menu I imagine the food was all pre-prepared and it was therefore impossible to tailor our meals to our taste. Not good when you are paying a lot for your meal. This is the problem with having a set menu with no choice whatsoever. Later on I overheard one or two other tables commenting to waiters about the starter being too hot for them.

The main course was nice enough but nothing better than my local curry houses. It was actually mildly disappointing after all the fanfare about it being one of Gordon Ramsey's best restaurants and being a 'culinary experience you'll never forget'. At my local Indian I'd expect to pay about £25 for the two of us - certainly not over £30 - having order just the right amount of food. At Prashad the bill came to over £70 once I'd paid a tip. Bear in mind this is for food with no meat in it and a menu with no choice of what you eat.

All in all a bit of an expensive Valentines let down. Should have gone somewhere else for half the price and eaten exactly what we wanted.

5  Thank STYWY