“warm and cosy”

West Riding Refreshment Rooms
Ranked #2 of 95 Restaurants in Dewsbury
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Real Ale, Real Cider, Real Food, Real Fires, Real People, Real Passion...Real Pub. Situated in the original waiting room, on Platform 2, of Dewsbury train station The West Riding was the first member of the beerhouses family, back in 1994, its' our flag ship pub, it's success and experience has been passed on to the other four pubs in the group... Inviting, friendly, approachable staff and customers, facilitating an inkling that after one visit, you're pretty much a regular and will be welcomed back fondly with open arms and a big grin! We've a top notch selection of ale from local and countrywide breweries, kept to Cask Marque quality standards. Beautiful outer architecture, enhanced by cascading ivy on the front of the building. Inside a three room set up with quirky signs and pictures adorning the walls, giving a weary traveller a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. The West Riding Refreshment Rooms is part of the Transpennine Real Ale Trail.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

great atmosphere. good service. friendly staff. good selection of drink and not over priced. good pub on ale trail

1  Thank Martin S

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I first encountered the West Riding about four years ago after jumping on the "Real Ale Trail" bandwagon (or should that be train) ? Which was featured on t.v. by the long haired one off Top Gear, and the bloke who used to taste wine alongside Jilly Goolden on Food & Drink. That day we also took in bars in Marsden, Stalybridge and Huddersfield, all of which were pretty good, but The West Riding in Dewsbury was the standout venue for me.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I find myself making regular train journeys to Dewsbury, and invariably use The West Riding regularly, sometimes for an odd pint, but other times for half a dozen ! The beer is consistently excellent, with a good choice of real ales (many from the fantastic breweries found in the locality of West Yorkshire). There are also a selection of unusual lagers (I believe, including Estrella, a refreshing Spanish brew), and also some real ciders. Being from York, and a real ale fan, I find the prices of beer in this pub to be very reasonable (most are 50p - £1 a pint cheaper than they are in similar hostelries in York).

I tend to frequent the bar either in weekday afternoons, or lunchtime on a Friday or Saturday. It's usually fairly quiet around then, but with enough atmosphere to make for a pleasant experience. If you choose to go any time after 2.00pm on a Saturday, prepare for regular influxes of groups taking in the Real Ale Trail (generally, the later in the day, the rowdier the crowd), and you may find yourself in a bit of a queue at the bar (or toilets !). In the summer months, there are a number of outdoor tables, which look onto the station carpark, but are a pleasant enough place to soak up the beer and the sun.

The staff are friendly, even when they are rushed off their feet. Food is served, although I have never eaten there, it does always look and smell appetising. Overall, a pub I never tire of re-visiting !

3  Thank YorkieLangham
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I'm a Londoner and fortunately for me, some of my family are from Dewsbury. Luckily I have the pleasure of visiting the West Riding everytime I'm up north and I miss the ales, the ambience and the prices when I'm back down south. Love your beer? Love this pub!

1  Thank JamBro82
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I visited here with family for a birthday occasion, and the pub was excellent. Good beer, atmospheric and a good place to visit. Very enjoyable scenery in the pub and it serves a wide range of very good ales.

1  Thank JakeYork
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The fact that it is in the. Station makes it the perfect place to meet for a cpl of drinks to start the night. Food is decent as are the drinks, if a little pricey for Dewsbury!