“Never Again”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Darrington
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Never Again”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is the worst hotel we have ever 'stayed' in. Below explains all.

Dear Sir,
My wife and I are quite frequent guests at Premier Inns. However our experience at the Premier Inn, Pontefract has shaken our faith to the core. We always believed that Premier Inns were thoroughly inspected. We were absolutely disgusted with this hotel.
The car park was filthy dirty. Old and new food containers and drink containers, whole and flattened, were scattered around the car park. My wife and I were undecided whether to stay or go somewhere else. As I was so tired after a long drive we decided to stay.
On arrival we were greeted at reception by a rather nasty odour. Perhaps the drains required a service. I hope it was the drains!!
No lift. There were two flights of stairs, one of which was very dark and steep. The lights did not work! We reported this to reception and were told that they knew about the lights. They had not worked for a while that was why the Fire Doors were wedged open to allow light to come from elsewhere. An accident waiting to happen. What would the Fire Brigade or the Health and Safety Inspectors make of that?
The room was very small and dirty!! There were cobwebs festooning the ceiling. We did take photographs. The kettle had hot chocolate splashes dried to its side and the cups looked as though they had been rubbed out with a dirty cloth.
While wondering what to do my wife and I could hear a conversation between three gentlemen, we thought was coming from outside our door. When the language became obscene I opened the door but there was no-one there. It was then we realised that the conversation was coming from the room next door. It was normal volume not shouted.
At this point we could hear the young gentleman on the other side using the toilet. Infact we heard every last DROP! We could hear his wet feet squeaking as he took a shower. The extractor fan from his shower room was deafening my wife and I, and I'm 60% deaf already! The walls were paper thin.
We debated what we should do? Was the situation likely to improve as the night progressed or are we going to be woken up when the gentlemen return from the pub next door, and relieve their bladders during the small hours of the night??? Repeatedly through the night!! There conversation would probably be louder and cruder. How much sleep are we expecting??? NOT MUCH!!
We decided to take our bags and ask reception for another room.
We were told at reception that all the rooms were the same. We asked the young receptionist if we could speak to the Duty Manager? She asked us to wait while she ' got her out of the pub.'
We waited for about 10min. When the Duty Manager arrived we explained our complaints. She told us that there were no other rooms ready and that all the rooms were the same anyway. My wife asked for our money to be refunded. The Duty Manager did not know how to refund money. When my wife insisted, the Duty Manager phoned someone to give her instructions. Our money was refunded to our account.
Premier Inn Pontefract must rank as the worst hotel my wife and I have ever been in. It is certainly the first hotel that we have walked out of without staying even one night.
I would respectfully suggest to Premier Inns that they consider selling this hotel, as it is nowhere near their standard, or give it a complete refurbish and retrain ALL of the staff.
This hotel is certainly doing the reputation of Premier Inns no good at all.
Yours sincerely,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter S
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Good Night Inns Darrington Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Colchester England
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed for just one night on return journey south. Although it may not be the best Premier Inn I've stayed in I found the staff very efficient and helpful and the hotel generally and the room quite acceptable. The bathroom basin alcove and shower cubicle were a little on the small side and could have been a problem for a person larger than me. The restaurant menu was very good and the meal, served by efficient staff, was excellent. The breakfast was up to usual Premier Inn standard. I would agree with other contributors that the hotel is rather tired and could perhaps benefit from some refurbishment. However, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a side facing room and enquire as to whether all showers are the same small size.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
west yorkshire
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Called in for a drink. Very quiet so no excuse for all the tables in the bar to be covered in spilled drinks. 3 staff, including a manager walked past without cleaning tables or tidying the area. Very disappointing. This place needs a firm grip and a refurb.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank princessfefe
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Good Night Inns Darrington Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the quality of the food served in the restaurants. Although this is not a Whitbread run restaurant, we will ensure that your feedback is passed to the company responsible for this establishment for a full investigation. Thank you once again for your review.

Travelers are raving about these Darrington hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Staff here were great however the Hotel itself is very very tired.
I have been in many Premier Inns over the years but this one has to be the worst I have been in, the only thing that resembled a Premier Inn was the bed with the purple cover. My room was tiny with very old and tired furniture, the bathroom was even smaller with the worlds smallest shower cubicle, I'm only 5 foot 6 and it was a squeeze for me to get in. The room had marks all over the walls and on the doors, it looked and felt like a £15 a night B and B in Blackpool. I was staying with work so didnt pay the bill but if I had been the one to pay I would have been asking for my money back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

automatic booking will not complete booking.
rooms much to small,would suit single occupancy
rooms to hot in summer and leaving window open there was to much traffic noise from A1
staff very helpful and polite. breakfast very good . .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Good Night Inns Darrington Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At we endeavour to ensure all our guests enjoy a relaxing stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to in the future.
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Typical premier Inn, friendly staff, i arrived a couple of minutes after the restaurant closed and they allowed to order exactly what i wanted. Good breakfast, friendly staff, would i stay here again , YES.

Room Tip: A few doors and stair wells to get through on the upper floors
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Warsash
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Good location for the area. However it does suffer from traffic noise if you sleep with the window open. It is not as comfortable as the other Premier Inn in Pontefract. We stayed during the recent heat wave. Ventilation was not good as there was only a small top window that could be opened. A small fan was in the room but when on maximum sounded like a helicopter! Staff were friendly and helpful. Our room overlooked the children's play/and smokers area and the old A1 flyover. We did have a drink at the tables outside (it was a hot evening) but were put off by the smokers. Not bad for one night but I am not sure if I would stay again. On the plus side, the breakfast was good as with other Premier Inns

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darrington
Travelodge Pontefract Ferrybridge A1/M62
#1 of 1 in Monk Fryston
CitiLodge Hotel
CitiLodge Hotel
#18 of 19 in Wakefield

Been to Good Night Inns Darrington Hotel? Share your experiences!