“Afternoon tea amazing”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Darrington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2019 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful afternoon tea for two. Plenty of
Sandwiches and other savoury items as well as lots of desserts. Very good value for Money would highly recommend.

Date of visit: March 2019
Write a reviewReviews (131)

Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

A Very Big, Very Special Birthday.
Family Do for 35.
From the first moment I talked with Nicola, I felt confident that The Kyte would be the perfect Venue for our Very Special Family Do!
What to choose for the sit down meal? No need to worry! Loads of flexibility so that I could select from the ‘function/Private menu’ and the regular Kyte Menu.
Very straightforward and ‘easy’ discussion about price per person and able to ‘swap selections between menus.
So, preparation was perfect and that always helps towards ‘perfect performance’!
On the day, We had sufficient time to add all those important ‘extras’ to decorate tables etc as well as preparing the perfect location for the projector and screen.
We’d agreed the timings for serving Starters and Mains and so were able to fit-in the several family contributions before, during and after the meal.
The Crispy Poached Egg starter Served on a potato rosti with creamed cabbage, grilled asparagus and tarragon hollandaise sauce was a Triumph! A large number of our party had selected this and it was universally declared TERRIFIC!
The Steak & Guinness Pie - Homemade succulent steak & Guinness pie with seasonal vegetables and a choice of potato was the stand-out Main although the Wild Mushroom Pasta Wild mushrooms in a creamy tarragon sauce with onions Served with garlic bread was also very well-enjoyed.
Portions were generous.
Service was Very prompt and Table by Table.
The Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding with roast potatoes, sticky red cabbage, seasonal vegetables & finished with rich gravy wasn’t quite as well-received. Presentation, very good, veg was al-dente (different people have different preferences for veg but this wasn’t a prob for our guests) but the beef itself was a tad too rare. We had to request some steak knives. Once again, a matter of personal preference but perhaps it would be wise in future for Kyte staff to ask how folk ordering in advance would prefer their beef to be cooked - Rare/Medium rare isn’t everyone’s preference.
Not a deal breaker though!
I’d pre-ordered the ‘Fizz’ ( having changed my mind from pre-ordering a bottle of white and red for each table - nowadays, many folk would prefer to be given a glass of Fizz and then order their own choice of drink from the bar.) This was served to the guests at table exactly on time and the subsequent Starter and Mains’ service also kept almost perfectly to plan.
Ordering the booze in advance meant that I was offered a discounted price - well-worth considering!
Nicola, Carrie and Lyndsay - along with a young female colleague whose name I missed but who brought me an unexpected but very welcome coffee and sorted cutlery when I was struggling with the projector prior to the event - exhibited 100% professional standards and attentiveness and are a credit to The Kyte.
I had brief contact with only one member of staff who really wasn’t too positive but I suspect future guests may not encounter her so in no way will that detract from my judgement.
The Kyte proved to be a perfect Venue for this Very Special Family Occasion. Location, Perfect. Room Perfect. Service, perfect, quality of Food Very Good. Price, Perfect.
Faultless.
Thank you.
I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending The Kyte as a Very Strong-contender for any ‘Special Do’ you may be planning in the area.
If you’ve found this review to be helpful, please indicate.
Thanks.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 10, 2019 via mobile

Visited this hotel on a Saturday night where they offer a choice of three course meal plus bottle of wine for two for £30.
The menu is modest but given the excellent value - it would be churlish to complain.
We were given table service and comfortably seated in restaurant and an appetizer added.
I had a mixed type of beetroot tart to start, chicken for mains and tart for desert and all was delicious. All our table diners were satisfied with quantity and quality of food.
Sadly the restaurant was not very busy which was a pity especially with such good value- locals really should get out and try this place !

Date of visit: February 2019
Kyte D, Manager at Kyte Hotel-Chestnut House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2019

Thank you for your review. I do hope word spreads....

Reviewed November 24, 2018 via mobile

Genuinely the best curtains in any hotel I’ve ever stayed in!! As a poor sleeper they were much appreciated as they kept all the light out of the room (number 9). We need a set for our house!! The rest of the room was clean, spacious and nicely decorated.

Tiny TV with not enough channels and patchy reception and no toiletries in the bathroom.

Staff were friendly on check in, room service arrived promptly and was decent, bar staff were lovely and the meal at the event we attended was very tasty, especially the chicken.

Would definitely stay here again. Thank you.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 1, 2018

A very pleasant restaurant with a good light lunch menu at reasonable prices. Wine not bad price too. The food was hot and well presented. Service was good but perhaps a tad slow

Date of visit: October 2018