Booked the restaurant for my Gran's 80th birthday meal and it was pleasant enough. The venue is nice and clean and furnished in a lovely style but there are little things I would say need to be addressed.
The Hostess gave us a very high level of service but some of the other staff left a little more to be desired, which really let the Kyte down.
When we arrived I told the Hostess who we were and she politely led us to the bar area where 2 bar staff were having a conversation with each other while clearing away a small amount of glasses. Neither of the staff looked up, or acknowledged us for 15 minutes. They carried on putting away glasses and once that task was complete they simply stood chatting away, while my family of 4 were lined up politely waiting for a drink. I would like to say it was possible that they did not understand why we were stood at the bar, or that they thought the Hostess had simply left us there to wait to be seated but unfortunately I really don't think this is the case, and we clearly didn't have any drinks in our hands. This situation was finally resolved by my father leaning over the bar and saying "excuse me?are you serving?"
Once the Hostess returned and led us to our table things greatly improved. She couln't do enough for us, constantly topping up our empty glasses and taking our order efficiently and quickly. She had even decorated the table for us with coloured 80 decorations which was much appreciated by my family.
The food was nice enough - nothing extra special but not of poor quality either. The value for money was good. I enjoyed my starter (smoked salmon salad) which was well prepared and of a good size, although it was a little tight on the salmon and liberal on the lettuce for my liking. Our main course of Sunday roast was also very nice. Each plate contained plenty of meat which was cooked well, the roast potatoes were a little disappointing - very small and very similar to aunt bessie's frozen roast potatoes, but the veg selection was great and cooked how it should be. My desert of Eton Mess was nice, but there was a fair bit more whipped cream than anything else.
Overall the Kyte is clean, well kept and pleasant - with excellent service from the Hostess. It's all a bit bland though. If you want a nice experience I certainly recommend it, however, if you are looking for something different, a little luxury, top quality service from everyone or are simply wanting to pull out all the stops for a loved one then the Kyte would be a little underwhelming
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is conveniently located directly off the A1 just south of the M62 interchange and is perfect whether you’re looking for a great place to stay, somewhere to meet family, friends & colleagues, a unique party & wedding venue or a fully equipped business and conferencing facility. The hotel is located in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside 10 miles South East of Leeds with several walks and picturesque golf courses on our doorstep. We’re also in a great location for race-goers of Pontefract, Doncaster and York racecourses. There is free WiFi & a large free carpark. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Kyte Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kyte Hotel-Chestnut House Hotel Darrington
- Kyte Hotel Darrington, West Yorkshire