“Nice Hang Out, but Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of El Dorado

El Dorado
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Seafood, Puerto Rican
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The Seafood is outstanding and so is the service. Clean, friendly, and delicious food. The best I have had on the Big Island without question! A nice water view overlooking a small marina. The best counch I have ever had. So very tender. The best lobster salad ever!! One of the best whole cooked fish. The other best is at Mucho Gusto on Vieques, PR.
Denver, Colorado
“Nice Hang Out, but Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Good
- The food wasn't "bad", but it wasn't overly delicious. This was my first visit to this place, so it deserves another try so I can try other items on the menu. I ordered the grouper in garlic sauce which was bland and the texture didn't flatter me. Perhaps the same fish prepared differently might have gotten a higher vote from me.

- What is everyone raving about the view? It's a bunch of boats on a marina. Yea, it's cute and pretty being next to a bit of water, but as one reviewer puts it, there are other places on the island with spectacular views...(like right next to the ocean) for half the price. Either way, it's a nice view, but u can't sit outside to enjoy it.

- The ambience is nice, the people seemed friendly and the dining area is welcoming and there is a separate bar area.

- The place is actually also a motel. The owner has 9 comfy rooms downstairs at fair prices. There is ample parking and security.

The Bad

- The service was mediocre. Don't get it twisted - the server was very nice and pleasant, but she was forgetful and not attentive. I don't care how nice you are, no one would like to get beverages half way through my meal after they've already chocked through it.

- Beware of the oil/vinegar salt/pepper shakers: I went to pour oil and vinegar over the shredded lettuce and tomato they call a salad, when my "salad" and fish were swimming in oil because the lid wasn't fastened. The server offered to change it, but did not take note to replace the bottle of oil from the table.

- The food took too long to come out

The Ugly

- It is just me or did anyone else in these reviews think this place was expensive!? No?... Really?? If you paid $28.00 for a seafood mofongo and think this is a deal, you were ripped off. Ok, so "I" was ripped off, but I didn't have a choice! I ordered the Grouper for me...$19.00 for a piece of grouper with no sides. Really!? The portions do not justify the prices, especially for the area. I would expect these prices in the San Juan area.

Overall, the place gets an average rating from me because of the high prices and small portions, no sides included etc. It is a nice hang out, and I will give it another shot next time, but will get something cheaper.

• Visited October 2012

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Quintessential Puertorrican Seafood Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is the fifth time I go to this place and they have never disappointed me. The food is excellent. This is real, authentic, puertorrican seafood in the middle of the seafood scene in Salinas, a southern coastal town of Puerto Rico. The physical layout of the place is very simple and charming; a second floor, air conditioned, dining area, enclosed by windows with views of the Salinas bay, surrounded by mangroves.

The menu is very characteristic of the area, yet they somehow make it very special. If the fish is not fresh, they will not offer it to you, as has been my experience. Fried whole red Snapper, “Chillo”, is a must, if available, as is the Queen Snapper or “Cartucho”.

As an appetizer we always have the “muslitos de pescao” or fish thighs. This is a small local fish “Arrayao” or Lane Snapper, deboned -except for the tail-. Then it is opened down the middle, battered and deep fried. When they bring it to the table, most first timers think it is deep fried shrimp. This local specialty is super delicious, as are the “chicharrones de mero”, or grouper rinds. Again, battered and deep fried pieces of grouper. Both come with a variety of local dipping sauces. Also, their tostones and mofongo (both plain and stuffed), a plantain-based local staple, are some of the best I’ve tried, and mind you, I’m a local.

The service is several notches above what you would expect for a local criollo restaurant, and it has more to do with how warm these people are than their technical expertise. They treat you like family and that what’s important when you go to one of our local restaurants.

Try El Dorado in Salinas, you won’t be disappointed.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ShrekPR
Salinas, Puerto Rico
“Best sea food and creole mix tried!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

I think this is one of the best rest that I tried in Salinas. I like the mofongo stuffed with shrimps and also one with octopus.
Don't forget to visit this place.
If you are at lunch, there is a chance the you'll spot manatees swimming around!!! Really cool ah?!!!

“Wonderful!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

Some if not the best seafood I have ever eaten. Conch the best ever. It was so tender! The Lobster salad is beyond belief. I have never eaten Lobster this good, and I have eaten many! The whole fish fried or grilled was delicious. Almost as good as Mucho Gustos in Vieques, PR.

Overlooks a small marina and is roomy and comfortable. The servers are experienced and take pride in their work. We went back a second time, and whenever I am in that area, will go again. A real treat!!!!!!!!! Wonderful PR food!

• Visited January 2011