“Welcoming pub with fire and good food”
Review of Giant's Rest

Giant's Rest
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: French, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We found this pub through the Good Pub Guide and think that it's definitely 'good'! We enjoyed the wood fire, friendly welcome from the bar staff and good food. It has a very relaxed decor - much wood, interesting photos and decorated branches on the ceilings And each table has a small wooden puzzle on it - lovely idea - couldn't do ours though.. We liked this pub so much so that we returned on the next night of our holiday. There are good beers on tap (can't identify them, but my partner thought them excellent), my wine (Sauvignon Blanc) was very good and the rabbit and bacon pie was superb. On the second night I had the ham with bubble and squeak and home-made chutney - the best I've ever tasted outside of my kitchen! My partner had the duck cassoulet (the last portion available). He thought the flavours very good, but the duck was slightly stringy and dry - maybe it had been hanging around for too long? Overall, definitely a pub we would go back to. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

we havent been here for awhile however were looking forward to it as it has always been good quality food. What a disappointment, the fishcakes were basically mash potatoe cakes with flecks of fish and the flavours of the herbs that were listed as being present were undistiguishable leading me to think that they werent in there. Our saute potatoes were basically previously boiled new potatoes refried to warm up - horrible. We would definately not go here again, yet in the past we would make the effort because it was so nice and the atmosphere and decor and location are still perfect, so disappointing. I must add though, the bar tender was very good and did refund one meal to show goodwill and the service in general was good.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We walked for miles in the snow & freezing cold conditions in March & I have never come across a pub I wanted to go into so much!!

Lucky the pub was so welcoming, when we entered, my hubby, myself and a freezing dog. The staff could not do enough to make us feel welcome, loving warming fires & I was able to take my wellies off & warm by feet by a very warm log fire. Loved all the different games on all the tables, Nice touch.

Had lunch which was fantastic, the bubble & squeak was amazing.

2  Thank KarinKidd
Reviewed February 27, 2013

What a lovely little restaurant. Serving very good food. Superb quality and prices not too bad. Beauutiful setting, although car park could do with a tidy up.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have been going to The Giants Rest now for around ten years and have never had anything but the best. My last visit was on Saturday the 9th of February 2013, I booked a table (which is always a good thing to do as it gets very busy) for midday for myself and my girlfriend, we got there at midday and was greeted and told are table was ready, I asked was it ok to have a drink at the bar, this was not a problem. I had a pint of old which is a local brew from a couple of miles away, it was one of the best bitters I have ever had, I asked for a glass jug instead of a straight glass which again was no problem, we stayed at the bar for a couple of drinks whilst looking at the excellent menu at know point did we feel rushed to take our seats at the table. When we did order we were told we could wait at the bar until our food arrived at the table. The food arrived in excellent time, I had ordered a fillet of fish with potatoes and tomatoes, my girlfriend ordered lamb stew, both meals were works of art and delicious. I have to say a special mention to Garry who runs the bar and takes care of you from the moment you enter till the moment you leave, he is very very good at his job and makes you feel so welcome. Please don't just take my word go and taste the wonderful food and drink they have to offer. I hope to be going for the next ten years (and more).

1  Thank dcollister1