“Wonderful Country Inn and Restaurant in Montsegur”
Review of Hotel Costes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montsegur
Hotel Costes
Ranked #2 of 2 Montsegur B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Montsegur is a peaceful little village nestled in the Pyrenees an hour or so south of Toulouse. The mountains around the village are mostly uninhabited and provide a natural beauty second to none. The village itself is a celebration of 14th and 15th century living. The locals are friendly and charming. I plan on returning to the Auberge de Montsegur as soon as possible. The hotel is small and cozy. It offers 21st century ammenities (nice bathrooms, comfortable beds, wifi) while it honors the history of Montsegur in its structural integrity and decor (stone walls, wood beams, open fire places, etc.). The owners, Heidi and Pierre, are wonderful people who go out of their way to make the experience authentic and comfortable. The restaurant is the jewel of the village, a dining experience you will not forget. Great atmosphere, great food, and great service three meals a day! A truly delightful and inspiring experience! I've found no better stay in France!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Costes

Reviewed March 28, 2012

What a wonderful hotel! I stayed for a week as part of a large group visiting Montsegur, and it couldn't have been more perfect.

Heidi and Pierre, the owners, treated our group like family and accommodated us in every way they could - and always with a smile and a kind word. They took such good care of us all, it felt like staying at the home of old friends.

The food was amazing, and the rooms were spotless and comfortable, but it was Heidi and Pierre who made our stay truly special. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KFrasca
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have stayed in many inns and hotels in my travels but I have never had hosts who were as lovely and accomodating as Heidi and Pierre. The food and wine were excellent and abundant. They accomodated our groups individual dietary needs smoothly and graciously. Our every need was taken care of throughout our stay. The view from my room was one of the most beautiful I have seen. I would recommend staying here to anyone who would like peace, great food, and a truly French countryside experience. Thank you. Kathie Bishop

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I just spent a week in the excellent care of Heidi and Pierre, the proprietors of this wonderful auberge. I traveled there for a writers' seminar. About 25 of us enjoyed delicious food, perfect hospitality, lovely Hippocras and Blanquette cocktails, and ultimate kindness from this couple. The bar area was built in the 15th century and the hotel's "update" blends the best of stone, wood, fireplaces, tapestries, a grand piano, and modern wi fi. My room had a queen bed, a tub with hydro and light therapy, and lovely views of the surrounding mountains. When I became ill with flu, Heidi brought food to my room, offered her warm concern, and made me feel cozy and comfortable. I can't wait to return! Seriously, one of the finest travel experiences I've had.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

This was a one night stay during a one month trip to southern France. We drove through the Pyrenees backroads for a few days, visiting some of the Cathar castles, and chose the Auberge de Montsegur (Hotel Restaurant Costes) simply for the location. But what a lovely find. The room was just fine, but the host and hostess were so friendly, the food wonderful, restaurant comfortable and patio just delightful. A very cosy, inviting place to stay, and it may be one of the main GR hiking/cross-country mountain-biking paths which crosses the trail up to the Cathar castle just above the town. A Swiss guest of the hotel, while also visiting the castle next morning confirmed that, yes, the sound of bells from the cows in a nearby field was very much like Switzerland. Cross-country skiing could be wonderful there, and the hotel even cosier in winter.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neo T
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel recently underwent major refurbishments - under new management, Heidi and Pierre. Several of the rooms have been completely redone, four even receiving a Jacuzzi bathtub, which was a sheer joy for my wife at night!

The public areas - bar and restaurant - have been completely redone. The food served is delicious and high quality. The hotel also has a wonderful "Cocktail de Maison", which is a mixture of Blanquette de Limoux and Hypocras, with a touch of cassis. Not to be missed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Philip_Coppens
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My wife and I were hiking the Sentier Cathar and so ended up in Montsegur for the night. The outfit that put together our travel route also booked us into this hotel and so we did not know what to expect. The couple who run it are absolutely delightful and english is no problem here (they were also extremely tolerant of our bad French!). The room we had overlooked the courtyard where you can eat and/or have a drink. The room was nice and the ambience wonderful. We would not hesitate to recommend this place to others if you find yourself visiting Montsegur.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PDXtravelers16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montsegur
Hotel le Castrum
Hotel Terranostra
Hotel Terranostra
#3 of 4 in Tarascon-sur-Ariege
L'Oustal de l'Annetta

Been to Hotel Costes? Share your experiences!