“Authentic Food, but...”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Authentic Food, but...”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I usually don't stay in Terrebonne when I'm there for business. I've stayed only once before in vieux/old Terrebonne and recall lots of restaurants and was impressed with restaurant I ate at prior. I rarely find authentic French restaurants and don't frequent them enough when in Quebec, so it was recommended that I go here for dinner.

Since it is vieux/old Terrebonne, most places are converted old houses. It was very apparent that they kept a lot of the older features than other places. We sat inside where it felt very small and tables are very close to each other without any ambient noises. It made it uncomfortable as it was also fairly bright and since all conversations are easily heard, it definitely gave away that I'm an Anglophone

The menu is handwritten and had a lot of authentic choices. I opted for Table d'hote and went for escargot and veal liver. The wine list was simple, but felt over priced in comparison to the food prices which were average. The server was prompt but felt uncomfortable as she only spoke through my guest who was bilingual. That made the service for the entire night feel below average which brought down the rating, which is unfortunate as the food was terrific. We also had a cheese plate which was presented well and the portions of each cheese with it's pairing of nuts and fruits was very complimentary of each other.

Overall, I would come back if I just wanted good food, and would probably look for alternatives where service may be better and/or more comfortable.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank John A

Toronto
“A Nice Treat”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

A business dinner with a large party. A nice menu with great French food in this quaint area. The restaurant was full but our service was fine. Drinks/appetizers & later soups arrived in a timely fashion. The mains took just a little longer & they were excellent - although my steak was a little overdone. The bouillabaisse & the lamb - in particular - received raves.

• Visited December 2012
Blainville, Canada
“All is good”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

No matter what you like fish, meat, poultry, deserts... it's all good, prices are not so bad for the quality of food and the service is usually excellent.

Visited May 2012
montreal
“waited too long to get served!!! 53 MINUTES!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I don't care about the fact that the food was good, we waited 53 minutes before a waiter actually came to our table. What a disgrace. And when he did arrive, the waiter never made it to pour our water. HORRENDOUS!!!!!!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank mtlconnoisseur
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent food, cozy atmosphere, BUT ALWAYS THE SAME MENU...”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Love the atmosphere, and the food is great. Service has gotten a little slow we're noticing, we waited 30 minutes for service the last couple of times we went. Too long, and they weren't that busy either and knew we were waiting, never happened in the past. Why all of a sudden? Other than that, food is wonderful. Thing is, being that we go there at least a few times a year, the same menu is getting really tedious & boring. The menu is short and simple, not too many choices, which is fine because it allows them to cook everything fresh that way, and freshness is what I love about this place. However, my husband and I have had everything on this menu dozens of times, and we just can't go back unless they change the menu. It's really repetitive. We kind of lost our apetite for the dishes because we've had them often enough, we don't want to even look at them again. So unfortunately we're not going back until they've made a new menu, new dishes, new desserts. It's too bad, because it's nice to support a place when their food is actually authentic and fresh. But it's TIME for change. I think other people are starting to notice it as well, I heard one other comment from a customer in the restaurant who mentioned the same thing, so I'm not crazy. Change is good!!! It keeps the customers anxious for what's new, and keeps them coming!!

• Visited December 2011