“Superb Steak Wonderful Wine”

The Shepherd's Rest Inn
Ranked #14 of 59 Restaurants in Todmorden
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A traditional country inn, with real fires, dog friendly area, beautiful scenic views, traditional home cooked fresh food, lots of parking and real ales
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am a regular diner at The Shepherds Rest now. The Dekkers Rump Steak is quite simply the best in the area! I usually have a lovely garlic mushroom starter followed by the aforementioned steak and a glass of Rioja. My wife goes for the tiger prawns and scampi. We love the food, the friendly atmosphere and much prefer it to the Top Brink down the road. There are a lot of regular diners and drinkers which is the best recommendation you can get! The waitresses are smart clean and friendly as are the bar staff. It's a great place to dine or drink in either of the two restaurant areas. There is a cracking selection of wines and beers. The Guinness is perfect and they serve Rekordling Cider too. Love it-six stars

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked a table for Mothers Day and was pleased that they said they would squeeze us in at 12:00. I arrived with my mum and the weather was bad, snowy with strong wind. My mum walks very slowly with a stick and so we trudged across the car park at five to twelve but the doors remained shut despite them being aware that we were outside. We had to trundle back to the car and watch as lots of people turned up and waited patiently in the cold wind for them to open the door. We were seated quickly but I was served a drink in a filthy glass covered in lipstick. The food was very poor, with microwaved pie. The salt and pepper pots on the table were sprayed with food from previous diners and I had to brush crumbs from my seat before I sat down. Waitresses, despite being very polite, wore aprons with stains of food from previous days,.... if standards are poor in customer view, It makes me nervous about the state behind the scenes... the kitchen! Its a real shame as the pub is nice and in a lovely setting with good views. I wont go back again though or recommend...sorry!

1  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just got home form having a meal there which was excellent! Three of us had their renowned rag pudding (steak pudding in thin suet pastry cooked wrapped in muslin rag) which was very nice, one had chicken balti which was also good, as were the deserts we all had. Definitely worth the visit!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Good food which would be a credit to any restaurant. Well worth the journey on dodgy roads. Views very good. Staff excellent.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Worth a visit we will definitely go back food lovely (sun lunch) perfect beef chunky vegetables perfectly cooked lovely helpful staff. Will go back for sure.

1  Thank tinky100