“New Year's Eve Dinner.”

Nacht Wacht Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Bredasdorp
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Nacht Wacht Restaurant, labelled one of the best culinary experiences by food critics from around the world, is situated on the historic Nacht Wacht Farm, close to the southern tip of Africa, between Bredasdorp and the picturesque village of Arniston. Diners at the Nacht Wacht Restaurant can enjoy the lavish cooking of restaurant owner and chef Melanie Albertyn. Melanie creates cuisines that are true to the Overberg, fused with flavours and tastes gleaned from her world travels.
Struisbaai, South Africa
“New Year's Eve Dinner.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Gorgeous location, sweeping views over vast plains under moody skies.

Set menu for new year's eve included a seafood platter. Although we ordered two, there is a string suspicion that we got one and a bit! Certainly not worth the expense. Starter sublime, dessert decadent but a mean little portion - felt short-changed again.

Visited February 2013

Sharjah, UAE
“Glorious Repast”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Over a number of years I have had the pleasure to eat at Nacht Wacht. A wonderful luncheon close to the turning of the year reminded me why this simple dining room is so special. Attention to taste, to detail, making each meal a truly memorable and unforgettable experience! While it may be difficult to book during the peak Christmas season - persist, and be well rewarded. Good value, wonderful flavours, up close and personal. One of the highlights of Arniston, not to be missed.

• Visited December 2012
Arniston, South Africa
“Refer NickC - Australia”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have gone out on ~ tripadvisor ~, and to all I know today to put to a base line the seriously damaging review of Nacht Wacht. I want and need ~ tripadvisor~ to know this , and also Nick C. I am appalled that he does not even have the name of the owner - correctly spelt - " truelly". This is a first to pen a direct hit to ~ tripadvisor ~- that is how livid I can be , as a chef/cook if you will,...... host and then some. Melanie and her Staff deserve an apology , and I will not to keep My silence. Dine out on this one , Nick C - and I will to invite You , and your Family to dine with me - courtesy of ~ tripadvisor's advice of course - anywhere you nominate , on My next Trip to Australia. I plonk this invitation to Nick C...........with ceremony.

• Visited January 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Truelly disappointing - Just not good enough!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

On our travels from Australia to South Africa, we booked an evening meal at the Nacht Wacht months before our holiday started. We built in an extra night into our itinery to stay near the remotely positioned restaurant. On the day, I called to confirm the booking, and spoke to Melanie Albrecht, the owner and chef extraordinare directly.
We arrived for dinner at 7,30 pm - and were the only guests for the night.
After 10 minutes of awkward hanging around in a lovely environment, we were greeted by a very pleasant Melanie Albrecht, who informed us that she would not be our chef for the night as she was off to a function with her kids.
That was the first disappointment of the night. We were assured by Melanie that her stand-in was well trained and would be equally as good. What we were served in Melanie's abscence was 'just not good enough'. After uniquely lovely Mussel Soup (pre-prepared) and an unexciting Springbok Carpaccio, disaster hit with the mains presented on small dinner plates overladen with chunky mash sloped onto the plate, a dreary mixture of way undercooked mixed vegetables (hard - not al dente) near raw Rack of Lamb (apart from the singed/seared exterior), and an overcooked piece of Yellowtail fish. No special presentation. No special sauces. Unceremoniously plonked on the table by the stand-in chef/waiter/wine steward/hostess/and pot washer.We left most of the food on the plate. I wish I could be kinder - but I can't. I'm still in shock a month later back home in Australia, now. Sorry Melanie. You need to address the standards of your stand-ins - or close the restaurant for those nights you can't be on duty!! This is the first time I've ever put pen to paper to give feedback, as time is ordinarily too tight. However, the discrepancy between the promise and the delivery is too great to keep my silence.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank Nick C
“Fab homely restaurant in a stunning setting with yummy food and such a calm peaceful atmosphere”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

The cutest little restaurant with open views of the farm. You can hear the animals and birds singing, watch sunset through the open doors and eat the freshest food hand picked from the farm and prepared perfectly by chef. What more could you ask for! It's quirky. Service is not westernised but that's part of its charm. Loved it.